Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you know how to eat with chop sticks?

Water Stones

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:21 pm
I learned today and it's not easy!

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:29 pm
Yes I do but my hands get tired, which probably means I'm doing it wrong. I really should do it all the time because it would force me to eat more slowly. It's hard to overload a chopstick!

rachel6543

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:32 pm
Yes, I learned at a young age.

Many years ago I actually visited Japan and my Japanese hosts were very surprised I could actually use chopsticks. They actually went around telling other people they introduced me to how well I could use chopsticks!

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:34 pm
zaq wrote:
Yes I do but my hands get tired, which probably means I'm doing it wrong. I really should do it all the time because it would force me to eat more slowly. It's hard to overload a chopstick!

You can do it pretty quickly if you raise the bowl up like the orientals do and get the circular motion going.

I love eating certain foods with chopsticks, but I hate the rough wooden ones.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:35 pm
Yes

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:39 pm
Yes.

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:39 pm
Yes. I think some foods taste better that way.

When I broke my wrist once, I even learned to handle chopsticks with my other hand.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:47 pm
Congrats OP you've acquired a new skill. this is always a good thing even if you don't use it very often.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 12:31 am
Yes! I had a relative a"h who used to travel to the Far East on business way back when it was a long trip and he used to spend months there to make it worthwhile. He learned how to use chopsticks properly and taught me when we ate out at Chinese restaurants.

I've been trying to teach my daughter but it's not an easy skill to pick up. Kol hakavod to you!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 5:55 am
Yes, but I'm not that good at it and need practice.
I know the Vietnamese way if cooking is to cut everything to bite size pieces so using chopsticks is easy. Americans and other western peoples use knives at the table, so chopsticks wouldn't work.
Some Asians consider it rude to have large pieces at the table.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 6:05 am
Yes, and I agree that Asian food tastes better that way. I think it's partly because it slows you down so you enjoy it more. Hopefully it also makes you eat less, another advantage!

Sadie

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 7:58 am
I've been eating successfully with chopsticks since I was a tiny kid, but when I was in high school I became friends with a Chinese girl, and the first time we ate at a Chinese restaurant together she laughed at me for how I held them. But the food does go from the plate to my mouth, and it impresses my husband who does not know how to use them.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 8:07 am
Yes, and I use them when I make stir-fries or eat at a Chinese restaurant.

happyone

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 9:24 am
Yes. It's the only way sushi gets eaten without losing its contents for me.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 9:41 am
My grandfather used to travel to Asia a lot on business. He insisted that my sister and I be able to use chopsticks by the time we were 4. DD also learned how to use chopsticks at that age.

Just the other day I was at a sushi restaurant, and I saw a little girl, about 5 or 6, trying chopsticks (it was adorable, she was stabbing everything). Everyone else at the table was using forks. I went over to the table next to them, and asked the mom if I could teach her daughter.

The girl didn't speak English, so the mom translated for me. You should have seen the look on her face when I pulled the chopsticks apart. You'd think I'd just done a major magic act! I showed her how to hold them, while mom explained what I was saying. She figured it out quick. It was fun to watch her with her new skill, and suddenly her brothers looked pretty jealous. Wink

I love that you can go up to random strangers in Israel, and just join in their dinner, without anyone thinking that you're some kind of weirdo.

Water Stones

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 8:47 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Yes, and I agree that Asian food tastes better that way. I think it's partly because it slows you down so you enjoy it more. Hopefully it also makes you eat less, another advantage!

When I was eating and learning to use them, yes it make me eat slow and give my stomach a chance to know it got food in it before I eat too much! I love to eat!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics