Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
A question for therapists?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 1:38 pm
Ds loves to get a hug everyday. But when he does he hugs me so strong that it practically hurts me. I know he has issues but I don't know what they are.

He is very sensory to touching his nails. He finds it very painful even when I'm very gentle.

He is nauseated from wiping himself from the bathroom. He find getting a haircut also very very uncomfortable.

What is this? He definitely has sensory I just don't know how to help him. Does he need a therapist?

(Aside for all this he has ADHD and encopresis)

Can you guide me what I can do to help him. I have Medicaid I don't know where to turn to for government assistance for therapy. I live in Lakewood

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 6:10 pm
No idea as I'm not in Lakewood but just wanted to shout out, I've got a similar kid - enco, likely undiagnosed adhd, passionate, loving and delicious kid. enjoy him!

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 6:12 pm
Start with a child psychologist to check for underlying things you would miss. If that comes out clear, go to OT.

otsrock

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 6:22 pm
Sounds like he has difficulty processing tactile and proprioceptive input. Definitely something an OT could help with.

Also, look into reflex integration as an unitegrated spinal galant can cause bedwetting and some other reflexes can cause what may mimic symptoms of ADHD.

-an OT

real israeli

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 8:24 pm
Children's specialized hospital in Toms River has great OT and PT services and they accept Medicaid. You need a prescription from your doctor for an evaluation

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 8:29 pm
[quote="otsrock"]Sounds like he has difficulty processing tactile and proprioceptive input. Definitely something an OT could help with.

I would love for you to explain what you wrote above in language that all mothers not professionals understand. how does this affect my child.I did hear that he might have proprioceptive issues. please help me understand. I would greatly appreciate it.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 8:31 pm
[quote="real israeli"]Children's specialized hospital in Toms River has great OT and PT services and they accept Medicaid. You need a prescription from your doctor for an evaluation[/quote]

do you mean a division of chop? if thats it I must say thank you so so much. I was not aware of such stuff so close to me.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 8:34 pm
ok I just googled them and I am in total shock. I never knew this place existed! can you give me more information about them? how come I never heard of them? why doesnt any doctor mention anything? I am shocked.

real israeli

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 8:40 pm
amother wrote:
ok I just googled them and I am in total shock. I never knew this place existed! can you give me more information about them? how come I never heard of them? why doesnt any doctor mention anything? I am shocked.

To the best of my knowledge no affiliation with CHOP.

I use Dr. Fenster who sent me there when one of my kids needed PT. I had a wonderful experience there and am therefore recommending it - based on the research I did at the time it seems to be one of the top places in NJ. I don't know anything about your child's problems but I've seen them treat children with severe disabilities and malformation so I'm going to assume they can help.

I definitely saw other Jewish patients but the majority weren't. So there must be some doctors recommending it other than mine. Why don't you ask your pediatrician and see what he says Smile

relish

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 12:36 am
[quote="amother"]
otsrock wrote:
Sounds like he has difficulty processing tactile and proprioceptive input. Definitely something an OT could help with.

I would love for you to explain what you wrote above in language that all mothers not professionals understand. how does this affect my child.I did hear that he might have proprioceptive issues. please help me understand. I would greatly appreciate it.

Tactile- anything we feel through our skin. I.e. Different kinds of touch
Proprioception-knowing where our bodies are in space

When he give hard hugs there can be a number of causes. Off the top of my head:
1) he is over stimulated from his day at school and this helps him calm down, by using his muscles to squeeze you, and feeling your body against his. These different forms of input to the brain send calming messages to his brain and body.
2) he is not aware of his body in space, and therefore has trouble gauging the effectiveness of his muscle strength when giving a hug.

There can be many more reasons. An experienced OT can assess what the issue is and develop a treatment protocol to help you by providing the necessary input to help with the underlying issues, and give you suggestions to help out during the day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics