Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Will it get better? regretting weaning dd off paci!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 3:25 pm
weaned 3.5 year old dd off her paci. it's been a few days and she does manage to fall asleep but very late! her bedtime was 7 / 7.30 but now she cant fall asleep until 9 / 9.30! I'm really regretting it now. It's so difficult for all of us. will it get better??

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 3:28 pm
Its going to take at least a week - the older they are the longer it takes them to get used to sleeping without a paci. My son was around 19 months and it took him at least 3-4 days.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 3:42 pm
DD quit at 3.5 years. She chewed through it. I told her that it means that she has big girl teeth now, and pacis aren't for teeth. Since it broke, I let her throw it in the trash can (and then took out the trash when she wasn't looking.)

That night there was a little sniffling, but when I pointed out that the trash had gone away, she settled after a while. The next night she wanted me to go out and buy her a new one, but I reminded her of her big girl teeth, and she accepted it.

That was the end of the saga. If your child is old enough to understand basic logic, you should give it a try. I admit that some kids get more emotional, or can't process so much just yet, but it worked really well for us.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 4:10 pm
Some also have a strong need to suck. But if you've already taken it, Congo back, it's too confusing.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 5:48 pm
I have two children who I just had to take it away cold turkey as they were 3.5 and were still so attached and I would say that it took about 3 nights for their bedtime to sort of go back to normal . Definitely by end of week it was history . But both times I waited until erev pesach to take it away since at the sedarim we are all up until 3 am and by then they conk out even without the pacifier
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics