Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to move to Los Angeles
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
I'm laughing. So many people come here for vacation for 3-4 days, love it, and decide 'hey, maybe we should move here!" Its really not so simple. The cost of living is way higher than Lakewood. You want "only" a 3-4 bedroom? If your lucky enough to find, it'll be in the $4000-$6000 range. yes, you read that right. In the valley its cheaper, but totally different type of communities (more sefardi, MO..) Tuition is over 10,000, kosher food is more expensive.

For the record, north hollywood has a lovely community that is more affordable than Hancock park and might be a better fit for the op. Shaarey Zadek is not very modern orthodox or sfardi. In fact, I am modern Orthodox and don't feel very comfortable there. It's a nice out of town community with all types of people but there are certainly many people with a kollel/yeshiva background

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:
For the record, north hollywood has a lovely community that is more affordable than Hancock park and might be a better fit for the op. Shaarey Zadek is not very modern orthodox or sfardi. In fact, I am modern Orthodox and don't feel very comfortable there. It's a nice out of town community with all types of people but there are certainly many people with a kollel/yeshiva background

OP here. Can I ask why you don't feel comfortable there?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 6:08 pm
amother wrote:

Because I prefer a more modern orthodox style (more women's involvement and learning opportunities , less emphasis on tznius and kollel, etc.)

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 7:00 pm
I think the only chassidish people live in Hancock park area. There are not many and most if not all go to the cheidr which is a small school. I think la is very different than Lakewood and you should come for the summer or for shabbos before. It is also very difficult to find a job.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 7:04 pm
3500??? Wow!! It's not as expensive as New York much higher ! In Brooklyn 3 bedrooms are 2000 to 2500 range

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
3500??? Wow!! It's not as expensive as New York much higher ! In Brooklyn 3 bedrooms are 2000 to 2500 range

Depends where. Manhattan is much more expensive than that. Parts of Brooklyn are too. Parts of Los Angeles are cheaper than that.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:

In Hancock park as far as I know 3 bedrooms is closer to 4000 or more. If it is a house it is more than 6000

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:40 pm
Here are some apartments for rent on zillow:

90035 is the Pico/Robertson area:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f.....3_zm/

90036 is Hancock Park/La Brea area:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/L.....6_rb/

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:46 pm
I live in the valley. Realistically to make it here, with tuition, cost of living etc you need to make a minimum of 250,000 a year.
To purchase a small home in the valley would cost around 875,000, Hancock park 1,000,000 although you can rent a duplex probably for 3500-4000 a month there. And pico is even more money.
We bought back in 2001 and made a good investment off of our home. Unless you have a nest egg I don't recommend it at all.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:

Not anymore. They are like $2800 and up

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
I live in the valley. Realistically to make it here, with tuition, cost of living etc you need to make a minimum of 250,000 a year.
To purchase a small home in the valley would cost around 875,000, Hancock park 1,000,000 although you can rent a duplex probably for 3500-4000 a month there. And pico is even more money.
We bought back in 2001 and made a good investment off of our home. Unless you have a nest egg I don't recommend it at all.

HP homes are minimum 1.4. I looked to buy as I rent.
People are moving to the valley, to areas just outside what was commonly thought of as the frum community etc. like near crescent heights instead pico/Robertson or beverlywood for pico community.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:55 pm
I just looked for a friend saw tons of three bedrooms under 25

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
HP homes are minimum 1.4. I looked to buy as I rent.
People are moving to the valley, to areas just outside what was commonly thought of as the frum community etc. like near crescent heights instead pico/Robertson or beverlywood for pico community.

HP adjacent you can get a tiny house for 1 million. But yes, HP itself is way more expensive. A lot of people are moving to the valley and commuting to Toras Emes

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:38 pm
tichellady wrote:
Depends where. Manhattan is much more expensive than that. Parts of Brooklyn are too. Parts of Los Angeles are cheaper than that.

Yup a one bedroom on the Upper West side is minimum 3000/month. Two or 3 bedrooms are astronomical.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:

My In laws live in HP and we loathe going there. It's wayyy more materialistic than the valley. Not very down to earth at all. A lot of "old" money that controls what goes on.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:18 pm
I grew up in LA, but none of my friends live there. It has become completely unaffordable. Sad.

eschaya

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:46 am
Another former Angeleno who would never be able to afford, nor would want, to live there. I agree that it's a wonderful place for vacation, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to good place to live. I'd recommend spending a few months there, trying to get a job first, find out more about the areas and communities, and then make a more informed decision.

HP may have chassidim, but it's far from being a chassidish community. Plenty of yeshivish/kollel, MO. It's also incredibly expensive. When I grew up in LA (HP) it had a nice community feel, was kind of laid back, everyone knew each other. It's not like that anymore. It's also gotten very polarized, so everyone I know either moved to the right or the left, and its also become very materialistic and externality focused. If I had to move back, I'd probably move to the Valley (though still would barely be able to afford it).

Not trying to discourage you outright, but you need to be a lot more realistic. Yes, the weather is gorgeous and the palm trees are cool, and there are lots of tourist sites... but these don't necessarily translate into a good place to live.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:27 am
eschaya wrote:
Another former Angeleno who would never be able to afford, nor would want, to live there. I agree that it's a wonderful place for vacation, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to good place to live. I'd recommend spending a few months there, trying to get a job first, find out more about the areas and communities, and then make a more informed decision.

HP may have chassidim, but it's far from being a chassidish community. Plenty of yeshivish/kollel, MO. It's also incredibly expensive. When I grew up in LA (HP) it had a nice community feel, was kind of laid back, everyone knew each other. It's not like that anymore. It's also gotten very polarized, so everyone I know either moved to the right or the left, and its also become very materialistic and externality focused. If I had to move back, I'd probably move to the Valley (though still would barely be able to afford it).

Not trying to discourage you outright, but you need to be a lot more realistic. Yes, the weather is gorgeous and the palm trees are cool, and there are lots of tourist sites... but these don't necessarily translate into a good place to live.

I see what you're saying but I like in Lakewood and I can say a lot of the same things about this city. A lot of the people that live here are very materialistic and it doesn't have a warm community feel because it's so big. I grew up out of town but for numerous reasons, I can't move back to the city I grew up in. I like the smaller community vibe and we know some pple in LA and that was part of the decision. We also met a lot of pple from the LA community when we were there for shabbos and really appreciated the warmth there.

doctorima

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:49 am
Even if Lakewood is also materialistic like LA, the difference in cost of living is still astounding. In Lakewood you can get a gorgeous brand-new house for $750k. In LA, what you can buy for $750k might not even need a mezuzah! Smile Also, cost of schooling is way higher. What costs $5k in Lakewood can be $15-$20k in LA (per child!).

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:50 am
Op, sorry to go off topic but what job do you have that u can take with you?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating