Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to move to Los Angeles
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:53 am
I live in LA and love it. We don't have a house and I'm not sure we will ever be able to afford one so we will have to deal with that when we get there. Right now, we can afford to live here and we have great quality of life. I don't think of myself as materialistic (but I am sure there are people who are less materialistic) and I like our circle of friends. We talk about starting a new community in a more affordable area that's not too far, we will see if that actually happens.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
Here are some apartments for rent on zillow:

90035 is the Pico/Robertson area:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f.....3_zm/

90036 is Hancock Park/La Brea area:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/L.....6_rb/

These are all out of the community

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 1:07 pm
Also there are not so many opportunities for children here in la. In NY there are a lot of affordable activities for children. For example if I want gymnastic for my girls it is very limited. These are not problems that the rich here have. They get private instructors and private lessons for everything. But the "poor" are stuck with nothing.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 3:35 pm
Wow, lots of LA bashing!! Yes, housing is expensive but that's the biggest negative about this warm, welcoming, diverse community. No real fear of not having a school for your kid unless mom and dad are exactly fitting in a box.

Materialism depends on where you live and who you associate with. I grew up here and now live here post marriage. I did live in NY so have what to compare it to...
In NY your kids are looked down upon if they wear the wrong style, color or have the wrong shoes. Never felt that in LA. My shul is chilled and plenty of moms come to shul with Graco strollers and no one treats them like Nebs. I went to Brooklyn and was stared at because of my stroller.
Among my friends, People wear what they want, shop in secular stores and places like Marshalls, don't "need" new sheitels every few years... No one told a different friend to "buy her kid the same shoes as everyone else to fit in". Instead they worked on why the kid wasn't happy, how to help fit in socially, anti-bullying, finding friends from other classes/grades/schools etc.

We don't have the rigid "community standards" people talk about in NY and NJ. Yes, many families follow the standard set by NY on gifts, what to do etc. but if a family said they didn't do that, no one looks at them weird. I have a friend who didn't do the whole bracelet-gifts for each chag in between engagement and wedding-watch- diamond ring-yichud gift- push presents (sorry, that term bothers me!!) etc. they did what they wanted, what was meaningful to them and what they needed. And no one stared like they just landed from outer space. No expensive standard of convalescent homes for new moms (and the fits I hear new moms go through with not having a place) and instead your shul and friends pitch in for meals, taking siblings, helping with carpool etc.
there are activities for kids too- just look on Hillygram in the spring for summer plans and fall for school year ideas.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 5:17 pm
OP here. Yes, I pretty much got the message that I should pretty much never think of moving to LA because it's so unrealistic. Thanks for all your input.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 5:28 pm
Maybe look into Miami- seems like a similar "cool" warm community and its definitely is way more affordable. Housing is v affordable and I hear there will be vouchers soon for tuition not sure if thats true

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
Wow, lots of LA bashing!! Yes, housing is expensive but that's the biggest negative about this warm, welcoming, diverse community. No real fear of not having a school for your kid unless mom and dad are exactly fitting in a box.

Materialism depends on where you live and who you associate with. I grew up here and now live here post marriage. I did live in NY so have what to compare it to...
In NY your kids are looked down upon if they wear the wrong style, color or have the wrong shoes. Never felt that in LA. My shul is chilled and plenty of moms come to shul with Graco strollers and no one treats them like Nebs. I went to Brooklyn and was stared at because of my stroller.
Among my friends, People wear what they want, shop in secular stores and places like Marshalls, don't "need" new sheitels every few years... No one told a different friend to "buy her kid the same shoes as everyone else to fit in". Instead they worked on why the kid wasn't happy, how to help fit in socially, anti-bullying, finding friends from other classes/grades/schools etc.

We don't have the rigid "community standards" people talk about in NY and NJ. Yes, many families follow the standard set by NY on gifts, what to do etc. but if a family said they didn't do that, no one looks at them weird. I have a friend who didn't do the whole bracelet-gifts for each chag in between engagement and wedding-watch- diamond ring-yichud gift- push presents (sorry, that term bothers me!!) etc. they did what they wanted, what was meaningful to them and what they needed. And no one stared like they just landed from outer space. No expensive standard of convalescent homes for new moms (and the fits I hear new moms go through with not having a place) and instead your shul and friends pitch in for meals, taking siblings, helping with carpool etc.
there are activities for kids too- just look on Hillygram in the spring for summer plans and fall for school year ideas.

It's not bashing - I live here and I don't recommend it if you don't have a nest egg. If you want any hope of having a retirement you need to be able to buy property here - otherwise you are throwing money down the toilet and it isn't only getting more expensive.
It's reality - not bashing!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
It's not bashing - I live here and I don't recommend it if you don't have a nest egg. If you want any hope of having a retirement you need to be able to buy property here - otherwise you are throwing money down the toilet and it isn't only getting more expensive.
It's reality - not bashing!

People were generalizing that we are the most materialistic, externally focused, polarized.... But we are not all like that! In any community there might be those types but one cannot say that it is everyone or even a majority. In my circles it's not like that at all. I can think of 3 women at my shul who are regulars who are like that. The rest accept you the way you are, will use any old stroller that works, will talk cost-cutting and sales...

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 10:18 pm
If your really struggling you can't live there because the rent is astronomical so no one must be really poor there. So it doesn't make sense they would talk about sales all day ...

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
If your really struggling you can't live there because the rent is astronomical so no one must be really poor there. So it doesn't make sense they would talk about sales all day ...

There are poor people in la. Old hiw they survive. They are getting by on help from the rich people of the community basically.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 12:49 am
amother wrote:

Your logic doesnt really make sense.
There are very many people struggling here. An average size family with an income of $100,000, is struggling. So people are definitely looking for sales, buying kids clothes at target and childrens place.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 12:52 am
I live in LA in the HP area. I have kids in school and own a house. Yes, it's expensive here - everything is. Pico Robertson area used to be a less expensive but the cost of housing is rising there as well. The Valley is a bit less. Education is aprox $10000 preschool, aprox $22000 middle school, $30000 for high school. There are many wealthy people (many work in nursing homes) here and many not that struggle and get assistance. There are pros and cons here. I don't know your priorities.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating