Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Telling babysitter don't want her

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 5:31 pm
I've used a babysitter in the past for 2 years but since my DS started school this year, she hasn't worked for us. I just had a baby and she wants to come back and work for me. I liked her but wasn't sure so I told her I would get back to her. In the meantime, I found someone to share a babysitter with and we discussed finding a sitter. She agreed to meet with my old babysitter but she was also interviewing another babysitter that came highly recommended (many families in our community have used her in the past). I called my babysitter and told her that I was interested and this other family wanted to meet with her. They did and also interviewed the new one, whom they liked much better and didn't really want my old babysitter. I also interviewed the new babysitter and really liked her. So now, I need to call my old sitter and tell her we don't need her, but how can I do this nicely? I should have been more straight forward from the get go that it wasn't a definite need for her and the other people just wanted to interview her. I think I came across this way to her (that I wanted her). Anyways, how do I tell her that we don't want her without saying I hired someone else? I want to be as vague as possible. And I don't want her feeling bad.

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 5:40 pm
Why not tell her the truth that you are sharing with another family and they liked this other babysitter better?

Since she worked for you for two years she will realize whatever you tell her is an excuse, and her feelings will be hurt anyway.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 5:41 pm
Hey old babysitter. Calling to follow up with you on the potential arrangement that we talked about where you were going to babysit for me and Mrs. Klein. I think you met with Mrs. Klein last week? Anyway - turns out she met with a few other baby-sitters (or another babysitter) and she'd prefer to hire someone else. I'm disappointed, because I really enjoyed when you worked for me, however Mrs. Klein has some specific reasons for hiring this other babysitter, and I have to go along with it. I hope perhaps you'll still be available evenings occasionally? Good luck with finding another day job - I'd be thrilled to act as reference.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 5:49 pm
I would be honest, and say something like, ''I regret that I wasn't clear with you from the get-go, but our relationship is very important to me so I would like to be honest with you, if you want to hear it''

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 6:09 pm
This is OP. So after reading the responses to just be honest and tell her the truth, I picked up the phone and told her. She sounded ok (probably not happy but definitely not angry or anything). So happy that I decided to be honest since being vague would probably have made things worse. Thank you my fellow amothers!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics