Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Suspicious Death of Russia's Vitaly Churkin - Whodunit/Why?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 10:57 pm
http://www.smobserved.com/stor......html

For the second time in 3 months, a Russian diplomat at their consulate in New York City has died under suspicious circumstances explained as a mere "heart attack." But this death involved a mysterious femme fatale, sources say.

Other Russian diplomats and spies who have died recently include: 1. Oleg Erovinkin was an FSB officer linked to the infamous "golden shower" Trump dossier. On December 26, 2016, Erovinkin was found dead in his car in Moscow. No cause of death has been announced.

2. On December 19, 2016, while speaking at an art gallery exhibition in Ankara, Russian ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov was assassinated by Mevlüt Mert Altıntaş, an off-duty Turkish policeman.

3. Petr Polshikov, 56, was said to be a high ranking Russian diplomat in the Latin American department. He was found dead from multiple bullet wounds on December 18, 2016 in Moscow. His murder remains unsolved. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/.....dead/

4. Andrey Malanin, 54 a high ranking Russian diplomat was found dead in his apartment in Athens Greece on January 9, 2017 with no signs of a break in and no apparent cause. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/w.....93229

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:50 am
I LOVE that you felt compelled to go amother with this. I am not being facetious. If you have a similar warped sense of humor, you'll get it. If not, please accept my mechila in advance.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 2:57 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I LOVE that you felt compelled to go amother with this. I am not being facetious. If you have a similar warped sense of humor, you'll get it. If not, please accept my mechila in advance.

She's definitely "in" on it! And so am I...

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 2:58 pm
I did it. It was me. You're welcome.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 3:10 pm
amother wrote:
I did it. It was me. You're welcome.

What were your motivations?

Who instructed you to do this?

Where are you currently seeking refuge?

-sent from my underground bunker and with a fake IP address.

Fox

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 3:52 pm
As someone pointed out on Twitter, by Oscar Wilde's calculations, this is looking like a lot of carelessness.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 5:24 pm
Fox wrote:
As someone pointed out on Twitter, by Oscar Wilde's calculations, this is looking like a lot of carelessness.

Carelessness?

How does carelessness figure into the conversation about Russians dieing suspiciously?

Fox

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
Carelessness?

How does carelessness figure into the conversation about Russians dieing suspiciously?

It's an Oscar Wilde quote from The Importance of Being Earnest: "To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 7:10 pm
After reading this analysis of the quote above, Im even more stumped and cant see connection.

"I believe this quote meas once you have two big misfortunes carelessness becomes your character. The two big losses Oscar Wilde is talking about is losing both parents. One being a misfortune and to lose both of them being the worst thing in the world making you a careless person. I agree and disagree with this quote because losing a parent is very tragic but even if you lose both, it shouldn’t be described as “carelessness.”
Oscar Wilde was a famous Irish writer and poet. After reading more about him, this quote doesn’t literally mean losing parents from death, but to figuratively lose them. His parents were successful intellectuals and as years went by he probably lost touch of one, and then the other. This may have happened because of fame and busy work that he was involved in and that’s why he calls losing them an act of him having carelessness."

http://mrjmitchelljournals.blo......html

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:

Wow that certainly discounts the the humor and wit of Lady Bracknell. Her absurd little comments are one the real joys of reading Earnest (aka Jack).

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 7:33 pm
amother wrote:
After reading this analysis of the quote above, Im even more stumped and cant see connection.

"I believe this quote meas once you have two big misfortunes carelessness becomes your character. The two big losses Oscar Wilde is talking about is losing both parents. One being a misfortune and to lose both of them being the worst thing in the world making you a careless person. I agree and disagree with this quote because losing a parent is very tragic but even if you lose both, it shouldn’t be described as “carelessness.”
Oscar Wilde was a famous Irish writer and poet. After reading more about him, this quote doesn’t literally mean losing parents from death, but to figuratively lose them. His parents were successful intellectuals and as years went by he probably lost touch of one, and then the other. This may have happened because of fame and busy work that he was involved in and that’s why he calls losing them an act of him having carelessness."

Good grief...

D—

youngishbear

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:07 pm
I am sure the student who posted that failed the assignment.

At least I sincerely hope so.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:42 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I am sure the student who posted that failed the assignment.

At least I sincerely hope so.

Can one of you literature enthusiasts here, offer your explanation please?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
Can one of you literature enthusiasts here, offer your explanation please?

Quoting:
"Wilde uses Lady Bracknell’s interview of Jack to make fun of the values of London society, which put a higher premium on social connections than on character or goodness. More disquieting than the questions themselves is the order in which Lady Bracknell asks them. Before she even gets to such matters as income and family, she wants to know if Jack smokes, and she is pleased to hear that he does, since she considers smoking an antidote to idleness. Such trivial questions suggest the vacuity of London society, where more weighty issues are of secondary importance. The questions about Jack’s family background, however, reveal Lady Bracknell’s darker side. When Jack admits he has “lost” both his parents, Lady Bracknell replies with an elaborate pun: “To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.” Like so many of Lady Bracknell’s pronouncements, this one is funny because it’s absurd. However, the statement also reflects a heartlessness that’s very real and not funny at all. Lady Bracknell responded in an equally callous way to Bunbury’s lingering illness when she remarked, “I must say . . . that I think it is high time that Mr. Bunbury made up his mind whether he was going to live or to die. This shilly-shallying with the question is absurd.” In pronouncements such as these, Lady Bracknell reveals an unsettling notion that colored every aspect of Victorian life: poverty and misfortune are, to some extent, an outcome of moral unworthiness."

http://m.sparknotes.com/lit/ea.....rhtml

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:15 pm
To be fair, Bunbury wasn't real 😀

youngishbear

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:38 pm
sequoia wrote:
To be fair, Bunbury wasn't real 😀

That only adds to the hilarity. LOL

I think this forum needs a PSA thread on how to find credible useful information online.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 9:41 pm
youngishbear wrote:
That only adds to the hilarity. LOL

I think this forum needs a PSA thread on how to find credible useful information online.

And how to teach people how to do searches and use boolean operators.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:13 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
And how to teach people how to do searches and use boolean operators.

I personally have no patience to Boolean. Google today is intelligent enough to give you credible sources even when you use "regular" searches, but it will not necessarily be the first option on the list.

.edu and .gov sites are generally considered more reliable than .com, but commercial sites can be great sources if they have reliable authors and expert contributions.

.org depends on the specific organization and their agenda (which is true for all sites and sources but is most obvious for this category)

Blogs are often nonsense and are almost by definition opinions rather than facts.

Question and answer sites are quite useless (as demonstrated above), especially if the replies are by amateurs, or worse, students who receive points just for posting anything off the top of their head. (To be fair, some sites like quora do come in handy sometimes for obscure questions.)

Wikipedia is iffy because absolutely anyone can write absolutely anything - but others can flag unsubstantiated or biased contributions. If it has a good reference section on the page that backs up the information the site can serve as a good starting point on that topic.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:15 pm
Talk about going off topic! Sorry for hijacking, OP.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics