Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why are rich people hated?
1  2  3  Next

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:17 pm
Why do people resent and hate wealthy people? Why do people assume that I am bad person or that I am snobby just because I live in a bigger house and have more money then they do? Please give me honest opinions.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:22 pm
Unless you flaunt your money and brag none stop about your wealth then why would someone hate you?! You feel that others literaly hate you or perhaps they are just jealous?

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:24 pm
The underlying emotion of all that is jealousy. That can be manifested in many different ways.

Last edited by Maya on Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tan

amother wrote:
Why do people resent and hate wealthy people? Why do people assume that I am bad person or that I am snobby just because I live in a bigger house and have more money then they do? Please give me honest opinions.

Mostly jealousy. It's a very difficult middah to overcome. And a bit from experience. While but all wealthy people are snobby, most have come across a few who are and it has left a bitter taste that can lead to a negative bias towards the wealthy.

pause

amother wrote:

Jealousy?

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:25 pm
Same reason they resent exceptionally good looking or exceptionally brainy people or pretty much anyone endowed with greater gifts if any kind. Envy and feeling that superior people make ordinary people look bad.

Now explain why people dislike those who are LESS endowed in all ways.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:26 pm
zaq wrote:
Same reason they resent exceptionally good looking or exceptionally brainy people or pretty much anyone endowed with greater gifts of any kind. Envy and feeling that superior people make ordinary people look bad.

agreer

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 11:58 pm
Jealousy

BabsB

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 12:20 am
"Thou Shall Prosper" by Rabbi Daniel Lupin does a pretty could job of explaining the cultural why behind the dislike.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 1:55 am
The rich usually don't give genorous tzudakah.But I love everyone like myself.
Why be ashamed of having lots of money?
Be happy rather.

5mom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 2:02 am
amother wrote:
The rich usually don't give genorous tzudakah.But I love everyone like myself.
Why be ashamed of having lots of money?
Be happy rather.

You think it's the poor who are giving millions?

Sadie

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 2:06 am
Because all wealth is actually built on the backs of the exploited proletariat.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 3:39 am
I don't know you, and I have no idea how you behave. I don't hate rich people, I grew up in a very comfortable household myself. But I find many times that the money comes with a sense of entitlement and an 'I'm better than thou' attitude. Several of the rich people I know think theu are entitled to give their opinions on everything and everybody, talk in a patronizing manner and generally disrespect the people they believe are less than them. Like I said, I don't know you at all and you might be the sweetest person on the planet. Why do you think you are hated?

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 3:53 am
zaq wrote:
Same reason they resent exceptionally good looking or exceptionally brainy people or pretty much anyone endowed with greater gifts if any kind. Envy and feeling that superior people make ordinary people look bad.

A way of asserting oneself as better than someone else because they are nicer looking, wealthier, smarter etc.

I may not be X but at least I'm not Y. Fear, and envy there as well, not for the less endowed, but for what someone else has and what they wish they have.

If you weren't jealous of wanting more you wouldn't hate someone who has less.

cm

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 5:43 am
Are rich people hated? I'm not sure that it's an across-the-board phenomenon.

If they are, it could be jealousy, as others have noted. Could be stereotypes or assumptions, too. "Rich people are snobby," or "rich people are stingy," repeated unquestioningly by people who have no way of knowing such things personally.

cm

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 5:47 am
5mom wrote:
You think it's the poor who are giving millions?

There is a stereotype, not limited to the Jewish world, that people of lesser means tend to be more generous, within their means, with charitable giving.

Obviously, this does not take into account "major gifts."

I have no idea if it is based in truth.

5mom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:01 am
cm wrote:
There is a stereotype, not limited to the Jewish world, that people of lesser means tend to be more generous, within their means, with charitable giving.

Obviously, this does not take into account "major gifts."

I have no idea if it is based in truth.

I don't know either. I have seen people of limited means show true generosity. It just seems wrong to be looking at someone else's bank account and deciding whether he has given enough tzedaka.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:44 am
[quote="amother"]I don't know you, and I have no idea how you behave. I don't hate rich people, I grew up in a very comfortable household myself. But I find many times that the money comes with a sense of entitlement and an 'I'm better than thou' attitude. Several of the rich people I know think theu are entitled to give their opinions on everything and everybody, talk in a patronizing manner and generally disrespect the people they believe are less than them. Like I said, I don't know you at all and you might be the sweetest person on the planet. Why do you think you are hated?[/quote]

Yeh I have a sibling that had a lot of money after she got money and continues to do so. She was always a complainer, always had an entitled attitude, and yes still has more then anyone in my family yet she has that attitude she also developed that's she's better. Because she now has money. So I resent her. So do other people in the family. She also doesn't share it.

And she has a hard personality to get along with. Ugh, I would never want to be wealthy. People judge you all the time. Like what I'm doing

sourstix

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:48 am
People that need money and come to the wealthy for help and are not treated nice get hate for them. I know someone who is filthy rich, but refuse to give to their own family. Now that's a good reason. And this person is in forbes magazine list as one of the wealthiest people. Yes Jewish.

And if you come to him he has a whole team of people sitting like a vaad to decide if someone should get money or not and then he gives you a small donation. Family knows not to go to him.

I really don't like this person. There's more to it but I can't You can figure who this is. So I'm gonna stop.

It's a big nisayon money.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:24 am
This is so interesting because I had the opposite experience. I grew up wealthy and lots of people only wanted to be friends with us by virtue of that. As an adult when people hear my maiden name I sometimes find they will be warmer or more accepting of me!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics