Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this cheating?

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:42 am
My brother in law is in law school. He has an old time professor for one of his classes. Many students know that this professor gets all his test questions from a particular test bank that has close to 800 questions. If a student memorizes the test bank, they don't have to do much else and will ace the exams. The professor finally caught on -after several years- that students knew where he was getting the exam questions from and were taking advantage. He said he will fail them. How he's sure who really studied and who just memorized the bank, I'm not sure. At any rate, is what these students did considered cheating? Maybe I'm biased but I say absolutely not.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:47 am
If his test has 40 questions and a student knows the answers to all 800, I say they likely know the material.

But I'm not the one grading it.

zohar

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:50 am
No, it's not cheating. If the professor doesn't like it, he can make up his own questions.

Candy Cane

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:53 am
I ageee with Zohar. The professor has the choice to come up with new questions and if he's worried about students knowing the questions in advance, then he definitely should change the questions.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:07 am
If the test bank is open access (not locked in a real or online file that must be hacked), it's not cheating.

cnc

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:41 am
No.

It's not cheating.
When I was taking Bio in college it was common knowledge that the professor took the exam questions from the online test bank. It's a studying resource that is meant for students to use and if the professor has a problem with that he can shvitz and and make up his own questions.

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:46 am
If the test bank is accessible to the public and they didn't steal someone's password, t it's not cheating. In some schools profs give out old exams so students know what to study but change the questions enough that they can't just memorize answers. This professor should do the same.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:12 am
No its not cheating. If the professor is lazy, to bad on him.

Talya

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:12 am
If anything it's cheating on the professors part for not making up his own tests.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 2:23 pm
so long as you're not looking for answers mid-testing, how can this be cheating ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics