Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Universal studios Orlando info and hotel

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:05 am
Hi! Anyone have tips for going to universal studios? How many days is ideal to go for if we have time? Are there any hotels that are ideal for staying in?
We've gone to Disney and stayed in Disney hotel bec we enjoyed all the perks and smoothness of staying there. Does universal have something similar to that?
Thanks! Going with 5 kids 2-14

groovy1224

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:34 am
Yes, universal has it's own hotel. I've never stayed there myself, so I can't give a personal review but from what I've heard it's a highly rated hotel.

Universal is a one day, max 2 day trip IMO.

No specific tips, except if you want to go to Harry Potter world, I would run there first thing to beat the lines (it's in the back of the park)

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:36 am
Go to www.orlandotorah.com for discount tickets for Universal Orlando.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:08 pm
Only need 1-2 days to do both parks? We would like to have a lot of time at Harry Potter world.

etr

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:05 pm
yes - 2 days is more than enough.

librarygirl

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:31 pm
Universal hotels are better than Disney- you get front of the line access except for their cheapest hotel.
2 days is probably enough, but they often have 3 days for the price of 2, so it's worth it to take it slow and save some money instead of doing other things.
Also, there are 2 parks and each has a Harry Potter section. There is a ride connecting them ( hogwarts express) but if you want to ride it, you need a park hopper ticket.

librarygirl

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 8:33 pm
Forgot to mention front of the line access does not include Harry Potter. There are single rider lines though, that move very fast, if you're not makpid on sitting right next to family.

sarahmiriam12

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 12:23 am
Premium on site hotels have express passes included the day of the check in until check out, and early admission to the parks, especially for Harry Potter attractions since they don't accept express passes, the more affordable on site hotels like Cabana bay only gives you early entry to the parks. Right now they are having a sale when you buy 2 park to park day and get 2 more days free, check their website. Im gonna share few fun hidden tips, you can ask memeber at any of the following attractions for tours, especially if you have little ones or you don't like rides but you get to walk inside and look the queue without getting on the ride

-bank tour at gringotts (US)
-castle tour for forbidden journey (IOA)
-immigration tour at men in black (US)
-production tour at the mummy ride (US)

The two main ones are Immigration at MIB, where you can take pictures on the headquarters floor, and Production at Revenge of the Mummy, where they take you through the queue line and explain the story. Just ask an attendant and they'll know what you're talking about.

There's a self-guided Castle Tour at Forbidden Journey and Gringotts, It's not always available, but you can ask. They'll let you walk through a separate queue line. You can stop in the different rooms and watch all the pre-shows at your own pace.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 12:38 am
Cool thanks! I noticed the sale but it's only though may and we'll be going in August...

Is the express pass really worth while if it doesn't include Harry Potter? Not sure what to expect haven't been there in 20 years.

When we went to Disney we loved the fast pass option- hardly waited on lines at all. How long are the lines generally in the summer?

Were 7 ppl so would be worthwhile to pay more for hotel if this will include express pass for all of us if the lines are usually long.

Another mom

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:52 am
We did it even on a Friday! (summer).... but were not interested in H Potter...

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:34 am
OP I'm sorry for hijacking but do you (or anyone) know where to get the best deals for parks + hotel + airline tickets? I want to go in May or June.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
Cool thanks! I noticed the sale but it's only though may and we'll be going in August...

Is the express pass really worth while if it doesn't include Harry Potter? Not sure what to expect haven't been there in 20 years.

When we went to Disney we loved the fast pass option- hardly waited on lines at all. How long are the lines generally in the summer?

Were 7 ppl so would be worthwhile to pay more for hotel if this will include express pass for all of us if the lines are usually long.

The summer is a busy season so I would think it is worth it. (though you might be able to buy the express passes separately, even without staying in the hotel)

Here's a really good blog post all about planning a Universal vacation- has lots of helpful info:

http://www.disneytouristblog.c.....uide/

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 10:00 am
Thanks for the link! I will check it out. We're getting 6 tickets so express passes per day will be a lot more expensive. Question is if we have a few days to spend there do we need the express passes? Though who wants to wait on long lines in the heat...

librarygirl

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 10:06 am
If you need 6 people, be aware that the premium hotel rooms don't sleep more than 5, so you will need 2 rooms.
As someone mentioned, 1 night of hotel is good for 2 days of front of line access, check in day and check out day.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the link! I will check it out. We're getting 6 tickets so express passes per day will be a lot more expensive. Question is if we have a few days to spend there do we need the express passes? Though who wants to wait on long lines in the heat...

I really would discourage spending more than 2 days there..unless you think the people you are traveling with will want to do all the rides several times. There's just not enough there for more than 2 days.

If you have extra days, maybe spend one in disney springs-admission is free.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 10:39 am
Thanks. Even if we are major Harry Potter fans we won't need more than 2 days?

groovy1224

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. Even if we are major Harry Potter fans we won't need more than 2 days?

We're big Harry Potter fans. We spent a little more than half a day there, and we did basicaly everything there was to do. We only went for one day, and we felt it was enough. However, we're not huge ride people so we didnt go on anything really crazy. So if you think you will be doing everything, 2 days is a good idea.

I was also skeptical when people told me not to do more days at universal, but I was glad I listened. It really is not nearly as packed with things to do like disney is. Also in my experience, the lines don't get as long there.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 11:08 am
groovy1224 wrote:
We're big Harry Potter fans. We spent a little more than half a day there, and we did basicaly everything there was to do. We only went for one day, and we felt it was enough. However, we're not huge ride people so we didnt go on anything really crazy. So if you think you will be doing everything, 2 days is a good idea.

I was also skeptical when people told me not to do more days at universal, but I was glad I listened. It really is not nearly as packed with things to do like disney is. Also in my experience, the lines don't get as long there.

Thanks this is helpful. You did both parks?

groovy1224

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
Thanks this is helpful. You did both parks?

Np!

We did, but like I said we skipped a lot of the wilder rides. On the other hand, we didnt stay till closing so while we didnt do everything, we left with plenty of time to spare.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics