Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Yakov Day Camp in BP $$$$$
1  2  Next

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:20 am
I just received an application for Bais Yakov Day Camp in Borough Park. They seem to have raised their fee this year by hundreds of dollars per child. They are now charging $1,475 + $50 for trip per child. That means with four children kn"h I'll be paying over $7,000 after tips. Most other day camps are around $1,000 per child. I called and was told there was nothing they could do about. This is the price and they won't go down even one dollar.

Any thoughts on this?

bookie

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:50 am
All the daycamps in Flatbush are that or more. Which camps are cheaper?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:52 am
bookie wrote:
All the daycamps in Flatbush are that or more. Which camps are cheaper?

All the heimish ones on that caliber are way cheaper - around $1,000.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
All the heimish ones on that caliber are way cheaper - around $1,000.

This'.
The ones in BP are all under 1k
Samcheini which is the top of the line day camp is a bit over 800.

BYBP increases their prices every year. A few years ago it was 1275 .

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:16 am
Are the cheaper camps chasidish? or are there litvish ones?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
Are the cheaper camps chasidish? or are there litvish ones?

Both.

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:38 pm
Masores and Bya are over 1500

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:16 pm
I know it was like a $250 raise from last year! We emailed them wanting to know if it was a mistake. Apparently it wasn't. Exploding anger

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:20 pm
Chasidish day camps do the same things and are way less. I can't understand why some day camps charge so much per kid. I don't think it's fair to the parents. I pay like $725 per kid. If I would have to pay $1500 then I would have to do mommy camp at least a half summer. For boys I pay much more but they have a rebbe a good part of the day.

Last edited by flowerpower on Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:20 pm
My daughter goes to a chassidish day camp and I pay about $850. I pay $1,275 for my boys because they have day camp until 5 and have Sundays also.

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:39 pm
Is it true they have the same caliber specialties? Same amount of expensive trips and extras?

I really think that the chassidish camps are less over the top (which I think is great). So they charge less because they are spending less on activities. My friend sent some of her girls to Viener Day camp years ago and said it was waaay less exciting than BYDC. I personally feel that the kids are happy with whatever they are used to but that is another discussion.

I have sent to BYDC for years. They spend a fortune on the extras and shows etc.. Now BYDC is similar in price to Flatbush day camps. And all these years they were cheaper than them and had more expensive specialties and activities.

I do feel for you about the money. I work full time to make ends meet. I have to send my kids to day camp. My family doesn't fit in a chassidish day camp. Life is just so expensive!

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:06 pm
I'm not so sure Flatbush day camps are giving you that much more for your money. Most chassidish day camps look to break even at the end of the summer, they're not looking to become rich off it.
I have neighbors who send their chidren to Bais Yaakov Day Camp. They went on the same or very similar trips as the chassidish day camps. They weren't coming home with fancier arts and crafts and they always start a week later than the other day camps.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:08 pm
Bya day camp did not do fancy things at all and is very expensive

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:10 pm
I had a kid here for 2 weeks that went to BY day camp. I didn't see them do anything more than what my girls did. My kids go to water parks, other great trips, bake, do art, have shows.....

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:20 pm
Reality wrote:
Is it true they have the same caliber specialties? Same amount of expensive trips and extras?

I really think that the chassidish camps are less over the top (which I think is great). So they charge less because they are spending less on activities. My friend sent some of her girls to Viener Day camp years ago and said it was waaay less exciting than BYDC. I personally feel that the kids are happy with whatever they are used to but that is another discussion.

I have sent to BYDC for years. They spend a fortune on the extras and shows etc.. Now BYDC is similar in price to Flatbush day camps. And all these years they were cheaper than them and had more expensive specialties and activities.

I do feel for you about the money. I work full time to make ends meet. I have to send my kids to day camp. My family doesn't fit in a chassidish day camp. Life is just so expensive!

What about the transportation? $500 for two months! Never mind its only corner stops both ways in this heat. That turns me off more than the price of day camp!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:57 pm
BYDC does not charge extra for transportation btw.

BYA gives discounts for each additional child and it comes out cheaper than BYDC this year even with their extra transportation charge. They also give a really big discount for Kollel families.

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 11:01 pm
Ra mom, if you have a child on the daycare program they do charge for transportation.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 12:17 am
I'm going to start a spinoff because I'm really curious what goes on in these camps but I don't want to hijack this post. I'd like to know what things like "heimishe camps on that caliber" mean. What is that caliber? What are the alternative calibers? What is heimishe in a day camp? In what way are the chasidish camps arguably waaaay less exciting than the higher-end (Flatbush?) camps? And how anyway do they run camps in school buildings? My family went to the country when I was day camp age so I have no conceptual framework for this but as a parent I feel like I need to know what the options are.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 8:51 am
Bais yaakob does much better and cooler things than Bya even though Bya is a nice day camp. I know I've worked in both

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 9:13 am
Nu, gray amother, visit my spinoff and tell us what makes a camp "better and cooler!" I'm so curious!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics