Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
URGENT..ANYONE PLANNING TO STAY IN A HOTEL FOR SHABBOS

cindy324

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 9:55 pm
This is an urgent announcement to all of you who are thinking about going away to a hotel for the weekend, as I do every weekend. I know there are a lot of people from BoroPark and Flatbush who frequent the same place as I do... DO NOT GO TO SUMMERFIELD SUITES BY WYNDHAM ESPECIALLY TO THE WHIPPANY/PARSIPPANY NJ LOCATION! They are terribly antisemitic. They hate all frum jews. This has been building all summer long, culminating in a clim@x this past weekend (7/29-7/31) Let's put it this way... the police was called 3 times over Shabbos to calm us "troublemakers". One young family was thrown out of their room middle of Shabbos afternoon, because one of the guests complained that her children were making too much noise at 4;00 pm!! The mom even took the kids out of the room so they can runaround outside, but to no avail. The police came banging on the door, and told the father he has to pack out immediately. Anothercouple was almost thrown out, for something really dumb. even though the manager knows that we're there every weekend and there's never any "trouble with us(his words) he made no effort to rectifyt he situation. We were told we will not be refunded, and they hope we find a hotel when we can be happy. There are alot more details I just don't want to jabber on. I fanyone wants to know the rest u can PM me. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!!tHEY NEED TO SEE THE IMPACT 30-40 EMPTY ROOMS.Yes , that's how many rooms were takien up by frum jews every weekend.

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 11:52 pm
If the manager says there is no "trouble", who was the one calling the cops and giving u trouble?
Sadly this is not the first hotel horror story I've heard.

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 11:59 pm
cindy324,
call your credit card co immedietly and file a claim to remove the charge!!!

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 2:07 am
Quote:
as I do every weekend.

You go to a hotel every week??? shock Wow!

Tefila

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 2:22 am
Could mean she goes every year but didn't realize what she wrote Wink

cindy324

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 10:04 am
Sorry, let me clear up some things.
The manager said he knows that myself and my family are there every weekend in the SUMMER(not year round, it's instead of going to a bungalow colony) and they never had a problem with us, and said he's sorry we were inconvenienced. However he feels that we should not be refunded because we were not directly affected by th estuff that went on.Also said it is unfortunate that we never want to come back, and hopes we can find another hotel where we can be happy for the rest of the summer. Gee, you think he could've made more of an effort to keep a regular, "well behaved costumer?
Yes, I am disputing the charges.
Lucky - yes it's true that this is not the first horror story, and a lot of times sadly enough the hotel is right. Previous weeks I have witnessed a lot of stuff going on and I told my husband this is not going to end well. More then once as I walked by the reception desk, the manager called over to me to tell my "friends", to take care of their kids or the cops will be called.I didn't even know those people, but because they looked and dressed just like us, they assumed we were together.
Again , sadly I've seen young hassidic boys be extremely disrespectful toward the staff, deliberately making crazy at check-in, etc.

But this time , they really overreacted, didn't give parents a chance to get their kids, they just called police right away.
Sorry to go onand on, just wanted to really explain

queenie

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 10:13 am
I know I am going to get a lot of slack for saying this but here it goes.

While it may be true that the hotel or people in the hotel seemed to anti-semetic, they may have been just over reacting and really more "anti-children."

You said that the hotel didn't have a problem? Am I reading that correct? Then it seems that people in the hotel must have been upset. Sometimes, we in our culture that are so used to children, are around children all the time and have children as part of our lives don't realize or we forget what it's like to be out of our culture. I remember being single, working very hard all weeks at a job and then staying at someone's house for shabbos and thinking, "OH MY God!! Can't those children be quiet?? I am soo tired!" and they really were not bad kids at all. Running in the house and all that banging!!!

Well, they were just quietly playing or eating in the kitchen. I brought my daughter to a party when she was just a baby and everyone else was newly married or single. My daughter spat up a bit and everyone was grossed out cuz they were eating. It was really nothing. They couldn't believe I changed her on the bed (with a plastic and I sprayed the room after) and not in the bathroom floor. She was just a newborn.

Point is, maybe you should go to a more family friendly place. I am sure it will be a better experience. I find that as soon as we are not welcome somewhere or something goes wrong we suddenly jump to the conclusion that people are anti-semetic. There are other commonalities between you and the other families. Not just that you are Jewish, but that you are families. Religious families on Shabbat have different needs and perhaps you should find a more appropriate place.

imaamy

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 10:36 am
I am not going to jump all over you at all. We are around lots of frum and non-frum families and some people just have no expectations for their kids' behavior. We were at one BBQ where a school-aged boy went up to the host Rabbi and said, "What is for dinner, is there anything else to do, etc" in a demanding, rude way. Screaming, interrupting, sassing, we've seen it all. We have high standards for our kids and if they disrupted people in a hotel, Shabbat or not, we'd expect to be thrown out. The other customers are paying also for their rooms. The staff should not assume you are all alike because of your dress or fact you are there every weekend same time, but maybe as a representitive of the whole community you could explain to the parents that being rude to staff and loud and disruptive is really not the haimische way to act and make a good impression. They seem to forget they are not in their living room.

lucky

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 12:20 pm
Sadly some people feel that if they r paying for their hotel stay they can do whatever they want, including letting their kids loose. The mentality behind it is "I'm here to rest, not run after my kids"

These people r usually inconsiderate at home too. They let their kids run around and touch stuff in stores e.t.c.

If s/o knows that her kids r very lebedig she should make sure to go to a kid freindly place.(and not make a chilul hashem.)

cindy324

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 1:35 pm
Actually , queenie, I agree with a lot of your points. You are 100% right about people letting their kids run wild, letting them make a mess in the lobby, etc.But you really had to be there to see what went on. They prohibited us from using the guesthouse, ehich is there for guests to use anytime to sit , watch tv, have a snack. After the police was called friday night , and made us all go back to our rooms, the next day they put up a sign that the guesthouse is closed for the rest of the day as soon as breakfast is over.(They serve breakfast in there every morning). The we see that two women who were guests at the hotel, are sitting there having some soda and a snack. Employees are walking by without a word to them.So 4 frum people go in, too and sit down with a plate of food. All of a sudden one of the employees comes running, saying "you have to leave or else we're calling the police, the guesthouse is closed! Only when one of my friends came in and confronted her about not bothering the other people, and saying this is discrimination, did she back off and say: "Fine , YOU PEOPLE have 2 hours to finish up , the you gotta leave. Then this same employee told my friend:YOU PEOPLE are not going to like it here anymore, the rules are changing as of today. After I told the manager what she said , he confronted her and of course she denied it, so the manager sent me an e-mail basically saying we're liars, because she never said those things.

and BTW, this IS supposed to be a family friendly hotel, in fact they even have a summer promotion especially for families

lucky

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 2:42 pm
Thank-You for publicising the name of this place. They do not deserve our patronage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics