Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are you a fabulous gourmet cook?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 4:36 pm
What do you make for shabbos almost every single week?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 4:40 pm
Slice potatoes, place on bottom of Dutch oven.
Take a whole chicken, stuff the middle with lemon slices, sprinkle kosher salt, rosemary, thyme, and sage on skin.
Stick into oven and cook.
Carve like a turkey.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 4:40 pm
No. But I do try to perfect my dishes...

I do traditional fish and chicken soup and baked chicken legs for friday night and fish eggs and chulent for shabbos lunch.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 4:42 pm
The things I make every week are neither fabulous nor gourmet Wink . But when I have guests and want a little extra, I love the duo poppy seed salad from Fresh and Easy. I also often make the apple crumble from Chic Made Easy with variations on the fruit filling. Chicken is almost always on a bed of onions, seasoned with salt, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder and covered with cranberry sauce. Some other easy nice sides are pastrami pockets and chicken wontons.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 4:50 pm
I appreciate using interesting ingredients but I don't make things with lots of steps. We are having beef and broccoli with baked rice with crumbs this week.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 4:51 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I appreciate using interesting ingredients but I don't make things with lots of steps. We are having beef and broccoli with baked rice with crumbs this week.

What is baked rice with crumbs?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 4:58 pm
tigerwife wrote:
The things I make every week are neither fabulous nor gourmet Wink . But when I have guests and want a little extra, I love the duo poppy seed salad from Fresh and Easy. I also often make the apple crumble from Chic Made Easy with variations on the fruit filling. Chicken is almost always on a bed of onions, seasoned with salt, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder and covered with cranberry sauce. Some other easy nice sides are pastrami pockets and chicken wontons.
what's your recipe for cranberry sauce?

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 5:04 pm
It was in the Tishrei mishpacha I can look at home later.0

tigerwife

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 6:09 pm
amother wrote:
what's your recipe for cranberry sauce?

No recipe 😅 I meant I pour a can of jellied or whole cranberries on top and bake covered.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 7:33 pm
Not at all..

My husband is a 5 star chef though:)

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
What do you make for shabbos almost every single week?

any fabulous gourmet cook does not repeat the same meal every single shabbos ... they vary by mood & people they are serving ~ just sayin'🍜🍝🍕🍣🍔 Wink

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:53 pm
I'm
A fabulous gourmet cook, but I work as a caterer and I'm just too freaking tired to cook specially most weeks. We keep it simple and delicious.

heidi

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 10:52 pm
I'm a great cook-- but my kids won't eat fancy concoctions, and DH also prefers simple. I absolutely cannot cook the same thing every week-- it makes me crazy.
Last shabbos I made a fabulous rice stuffed chicken with parsely and carrots and fried onions in the rice with a turmeric, paprika salt and pepper rub.
This week we're starting with loads of fresh salads-- curried cauliflower, roasted mushrooms, freekeh pilaf- -then red lentil soup, semolina stewed chicken with cous cous etc.
I vary every single week, but usually do the chicken soup-- this week decided to go for a different soup that I haven't made in a while

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:45 am
I love cooking and creating new recipes. Last week we had

Waldorf Chicken Salad (so filling, it was its own course.)

Shoulder Roast

Potato Kugel

Nougat ice cream with warm brownies

This week the main dish is a new chicken lo mein. I might make a pulled beef salad.

We try to vary the menu each week. One trademark we usually have though is a very rich, creamy chicken soup.

In all our dishes, we like using varied herbs and spices. Makes it so delicious and gives each dish a unique, deep flavor.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:46 am
Rich creamy chicken soup? Say more? Can you share recipe? Thanks!

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:06 am
amother wrote:
Rich creamy chicken soup? Say more? Can you share recipe? Thanks!

Sure! I developed it with a friend a few years ago with lots of test trials, hope you enjoy.

Chicken Soup

Ingredients:

1 chicken breast, cubed

Vegetables:

1 zucchini/courgette, cut into chunks (optional)

1 sweet potato, cut into small chunks

1 small potato, cut into chunks

A bag of carrots, julienned (the thicker strips -don't julienne too thin)

1 onion, quartered

Spices:

1 T salt, then add more to taste when it’s almost finished cooking

1 1/2 tsp Black Pepper

1 1/2 T Rosemary

2 T Bay leaves

2 T Garlic Powder

2-3 cloves minced garlic

Put a very thin layer of oil on the bottom of the pot, and put all the ingredients in. Mix very well. DON”T add any water now. Sweat the mixture - this means let it cook on a low flame, covered, for half an hour. This will let all the flavors blend, and the vegetables will sweat out their juices. Don’t open the pot even once during this period.

In the meantime, boil water. After half hour of sweating, open the pot and immediately pour the boiling water in. Mix and cover pot again. Leave the pot on a low flame and let it slow cook for 4-6 hours.

-----

Tip: If you like kneidlach/matza balls, cook it directly in the pot, it will be deliciously flavored.

Your house will smell heavenly.

Lmk if you have any questions.

Raisin

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:10 am
Not sure if I am a fabulous gourmet cook but people like my food. (including me, too much)

I make every week

homemade challah
chatzilim dip
chummus and techina
grilled eggplant with techina
fresh salad with avocado
some type of fish - going to make morrocan salmon today
chicken soup and matza balls (don't usually do soup and fish - its one or the other)
garlic or onion chicken.
green beans
side dishes varies week by week: I make orzo, crispy roast potatoes, persian rice, easy baked rice, majedra, potato kugel, mushroom knish, mashed potatoes...
dessert also varies: apple crumble with custard, brownies, choc cake, choc chip sticks, lemon pie.
Always fresh fruit and often ice cream.

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:49 am
amother wrote:
Sure! I developed it with a friend a few years ago with lots of test trials, hope you enjoy.

Chicken Soup

Ingredients:

1 chicken breast, cubed

Vegetables:

1 squash, cut into chunks (optional)

1 sweet potato, cut into small chunks

1 small potato, cut into chunks

A bag of carrots, julienned (the thicker strips -don't julienne too thin)

1 onion, quartered

Spices:

1 T salt, then add more to taste when it’s almost finished cooking

1 1/2 tsp Black Pepper

1 1/2 T Rosemary

2 T Bay leaves

2 T Garlic Powder

2-3 cloves minced garlic

Put a very thin layer of oil on the bottom of the pot, and put all the ingredients in. Mix very well. DON”T add any water now. Sweat the mixture - this means let it simmer, covered, for half an hour. This will let all the flavors blend, and the vegetables will sweat out their juices. Don’t open the pot even once during this period.

In the meantime, boil water. After half hour of sweating, open the pot and immediately pour the boiling water in. Mix and cover pot again. Leave the pot on a low flame and let it simmer for 4-6 hours.

-----

Tip: If you like kneidlach/matza balls, cook it directly in the pot, it will be deliciously flavored.

Your house will smell heavenly.

Lmk if you have any questions.

What kind of squash?

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:51 am
Squishy wrote:
What kind of squash?

Oh sorry, I should have specified. Zucchini/courgette.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 5:44 am
amother wrote:
Oh sorry, I should have specified. Zucchini/courgette.

Do I keep the peel on?
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen