Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are you a fabulous gourmet cook?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
Do I keep the peel on?

No. Everything gets peeled.

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:

Do you used powdered bay leaves?

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:29 pm
Squishy wrote:
Do you used powdered bay leaves?

No, whole bay leaves.

mha3484

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:01 pm
Tigerwife this is the rice with crumbs. I make a double batch in 4 8x8 pans and freeze 3. We are only 2 adults 2 kids. Rice with crunb topping

I make a lot of ethnic foods. Chinese, asian, mexican, indian.

I also always serve something green usually broccoli or brussel sprouts. If I make mushrooms, I buy the fancy mixed kind for shabbos. Its small things that make the meal feel gourmet without a lot of patcke.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:17 pm
tigerwife wrote:
The things I make every week are neither fabulous nor gourmet Wink . But when I have guests and want a little extra, I love the duo poppy seed salad from Fresh and Easy. I also often make the apple crumble from Chic Made Easy with variations on the fruit filling. Chicken is almost always on a bed of onions, seasoned with salt, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder and covered with cranberry sauce. Some other easy nice sides are pastrami pockets and chicken wontons.

Cranberry chicken is in the oven! Thanks loads! What side dishes do you make? Pastrami pockets and chicken wontons seem too complicated lol

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:

I peel it too was just curious because I was surprised to hear other ppl don't

mha3484

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:18 pm
Pastrami pockets are actually really easy. http://overtimecook.com/2012/0.....kets/

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 6:44 am
Do people call themselves fabulous? shock

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:27 am
Raisin wrote:
Not sure if I am a fabulous gourmet cook but people like my food. (including me, too much)

I make every week

homemade challah
chatzilim dip
chummus and techina
grilled eggplant with techina
fresh salad with avocado
some type of fish - going to make morrocan salmon today
chicken soup and matza balls (don't usually do soup and fish - its one or the other)
garlic or onion chicken.
green beans
side dishes varies week by week: I make orzo, crispy roast potatoes, persian rice, easy baked rice, majedra, potato kugel, mushroom knish, mashed potatoes...
dessert also varies: apple crumble with custard, brownies, choc cake, choc chip sticks, lemon pie.
Always fresh fruit and often ice cream.

Can I have recipes for the following:
Apple crumble with custard, crispy roast potatoes and mushroom knish? Only if it's not alot of trouble

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:29 am
heidi wrote:
I'm a great cook-- but my kids won't eat fancy concoctions, and DH also prefers simple. I absolutely cannot cook the same thing every week-- it makes me crazy.
Last shabbos I made a fabulous rice stuffed chicken with parsely and carrots and fried onions in the rice with a turmeric, paprika salt and pepper rub.
This week we're starting with loads of fresh salads-- curried cauliflower, roasted mushrooms, freekeh pilaf- -then red lentil soup, semolina stewed chicken with cous cous etc.
I vary every single week, but usually do the chicken soup-- this week decided to go for a different soup that I haven't made in a while
ok how do you make the curried cauliflower please?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:05 am
amother wrote:
I love cooking and creating new recipes. Last week we had

Waldorf Chicken Salad (so filling, it was its own course.)

Shoulder Roast

Potato Kugel

Nougat ice cream with warm brownies

This week the main dish is a new chicken lo mein. I might make a pulled beef salad.

We try to vary the menu each week. One trademark we usually have though is a very rich, creamy chicken soup.

In all our dishes, we like using varied herbs and spices. Makes it so delicious and gives each dish a unique, deep flavor.

Can I please have recipes for the Waldorf chicken salad and shoulder roast?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
Do people call themselves fabulous? shock

What's the big deal? Knowing what your talents are is a good thing!

rdmom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:56 am
I love to cook. Nothing gourmet but quick and easy and simple. That said I get bored of the basic shabbos fare each week. In my moms and in laws house, it's fish. Then chicken soup. Then chicken farfel and potato kugel. After making that for awhile I said enough. So now I do things differently.

For fish I rotate between the following.
Moroccan tilapia
Moroccan salmon
Breaded flounder with mushroom sauce
Crispy fried onion salmon
Spicy mayo salmon

For soup it is usually chicken soup. I made a bean soup one week and the kids loved it.

For mains my kids love London broil. I must make this weekly. They don't allow me to do anything else.

As for sides here's my list

Farfel
Gnocchi. But that I cook with chicken if I want another main. Usually with guest
Roasted broccoli. A favorite in my house. So easy
Roasted sweet potato fries
Lukshen kugel
Potato kugel

And for dessert, which we don't always have, it's usually baked apples.

None of it is gourmet. Had guest this shabbos and they were ranting and raving about the delicious food

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:00 am
rdmom wrote:
I love to cook. Nothing gourmet but quick and easy and simple. That said I get bored of the basic shabbos fare each week. In my moms and in laws house, it's fish. Then chicken soup. Then chicken farfel and potato kugel. After making that for awhile I said enough. So now I do things differently.

For fish I rotate between the following.
Moroccan tilapia
Moroccan salmon
Breaded flounder with mushroom sauce
Crispy fried onion salmon
Spicy mayo salmon

For soup it is usually chicken soup. I made a bean soup one week and the kids loved it.

For mains my kids love London broil. I must make this weekly. They don't allow me to do anything else.

As for sides here's my list

Farfel
Gnocchi. But that I cook with chicken if I want another main. Usually with guest
Roasted broccoli. A favorite in my house. So easy
Roasted sweet potato fries
Lukshen kugel
Potato kugel

And for dessert, which we don't always have, it's usually baked apples.

None of it is gourmet. Had guest this shabbos and they were ranting and raving about the delicious food

Do you boil the gnocchi before placing under the chicken or do you just put it straight from the package? What's your method for cooking gnocchi together with the chicken?

rdmom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:05 am
I buy the vacuum packed gnocchi. Bartenura brand I think. I cook my chicken in a pot with onions. Then I add some more seasoning once chicken is done. With some more water and put the gnocchi right in. Let it boil for about 15 mins or so and done. Gnocchi gets yummy flavor from chicken

rdmom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:11 am
Yom tov is when I go crazy. I work so don't have much time. So I devote 2-3 nights to cooking marathons. Close to yom tov so I can put most in the fridge. I haven't tried freezing some stuff yet

My family doesn't love fish that much that I can serve it for 4 meals. So I do fish twice and a meaty appetizer twice. And they love it. I usually do the same things for each yom tov. They don't get bored cuz I don't make it often during the year.

For appetizers I do
mock sweetbread over rice
Pastrami egg rolls
Mashed beans with meatloaf or tongue

Either a soup or salad.

Mains I rotate with whatever I saw in the magazines that tickle my fancy

Had a brisket in sauce
Stuffed chicken
Stuffed cabbage (Simchas Torah)
And of course my mind is blank right now. Have it all written down somewhere

For sides I try to freeze what I can.

Lukshen kugel
Sesame noodles
Made fresh snow peas and mushrooms. A favorite in my house
2 layer veggie kugel
Kasha kugel
Sweet potato pie

rachaelle

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 11:43 am
rdmom wrote:
I buy the vacuum packed gnocchi. Bartenura brand I think. I cook my chicken in a pot with onions. Then I add some more seasoning once chicken is done. With some more water and put the gnocchi right in. Let it boil for about 15 mins or so and done. Gnocchi gets yummy flavor from chicken

This sounds so good. Is it chicken on the bone? How much water? Whole onion or chopped? What seasonings? Thanks!

rdmom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:23 pm
Chicken on the bone. skin side down. Put chopped onions on chicken. Add a little bit of water cuz chicken lets off its own. I put salt. Paprika. If you want some garlic. Cook on medium flame until chicken is tender. Then add some water and more spices. Chicken soup mix. And add gnocchi. Water just enough to cover gnocchi. 15 mins and done.

rachaelle

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:27 pm
rdmom wrote:
Chicken on the bone. skin side down. Put chopped onions on chicken. Add a little bit of water cuz chicken lets off its own. I put salt. Paprika. If you want some garlic. Cook on medium flame until chicken is tender. Then add some water and more spices. Chicken soup mix. And add gnocchi. Water just enough to cover gnocchi. 15 mins and done.

Thanks!! What kind of pot do you use?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:38 pm
rdmom wrote:
Yom tov is when I go crazy. I work so don't have much time. So I devote 2-3 nights to cooking marathons. Close to yom tov so I can put most in the fridge. I haven't tried freezing some stuff yet

My family doesn't love fish that much that I can serve it for 4 meals. So I do fish twice and a meaty appetizer twice. And they love it. I usually do the same things for each yom tov. They don't get bored cuz I don't make it often during the year.

For appetizers I do
mock sweetbread over rice
Pastrami egg rolls
Mashed beans with meatloaf or tongue

Either a soup or salad.

Mains I rotate with whatever I saw in the magazines that tickle my fancy

Had a brisket in sauce
Stuffed chicken
Stuffed cabbage (Simchas Torah)
And of course my mind is blank right now. Have it all written down somewhere

For sides I try to freeze what I can.

Lukshen kugel
Sesame noodles
Made fresh snow peas and mushrooms. A favorite in my house
2 layer veggie kugel
Kasha kugel
Sweet potato pie

What's Kasha kugel? How do you make it?
Thanks
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen