Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are you a fabulous gourmet cook?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:59 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Forgive me for being an unrepentant foodie.

Do you mean this sincerely? Or sarcastically?

The tone gets lost on the internet.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:04 pm
Oh I'm sincere. I've studied cooking and food science as an avocation since I was about 18. I have to remind myself that most here have not.

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:05 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Oh I'm sincere. I've studied cooking and food science as an avocation since I was about 18. I have to remind myself that most here have not.

I meant your apology. Is it sincere?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:09 pm
Squishy wrote:
I meant your apology. Is it sincere?

Yes.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:33 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It's a pity that the judge took such a simplistic position. I'm not a cholent eater, but I will make a cassoulet for shabbos a few times a year. It's a bit more complex than pork and beans I assure you. The first time I made it I started from scratch, including a whole goose, and making my own confit. Now I've learned to take shortcuts, a good chicken cooked in schmaltz after it's pickle makes life a bit easier. I don't use store bought kosher sausage, but I do take and hour to make my own etc.

I think that's actually what the judges were saying though. This guy had twenty minutes or so to make the dish so he throws pork and beans and a sauce in a pot and calls it cassoulet to fancy it up. They were saying "this is pork and beans. It tastes pretty good. Own it. Don't try and make it something it's not"

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:43 pm
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
I think that's actually what the judges were saying though. This guy had twenty minutes or so to make the dish so he throws pork and beans and a sauce in a pot and calls it cassoulet to fancy it up. They were saying "this is pork and beans. It tastes pretty good. Own it. Don't try and make it something it's not"

Oh I totally agree. Yea it can take 20 minutes to assemble one, but if you are doing the prep on your own and not buying premade confit etc it's gonna take a heck of a lot longer. So in this case 20minutes does mean pork and beans. Gosh I hope that cook got voted off the island.

ETA: I have no knowledge of the show and I merely thought the judge was calling a cassoulet pork and beans.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:21 pm
studying_torah wrote:
How do you make morrocan salmon? Excuse my terrible spelling 😶

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....savta

I've used this recipe as a base & modified it to my liking ... mostly to use fresh vs dried

& I make sure the salmon is free of any skin & I always roast a green pepper

something my family loves !!!

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:27 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

ETA: I have no knowledge of the show and I merely thought the judge was calling a cassoulet pork and beans.

haven't seen that show, but watch a lot of cooking shows with mama ... what I can say is they do get quite verbose when chefs call something they cooked different than what it appears to be

cholent
cassoulet
goulash

I'm sure they are all quite similar and as vastly different just like any single person's cholent varies from one cook to the next

areal

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 1:23 pm
While were on the subject of all this delicious- sounding food (as well as proving that, while we certainly have great cooks in our ranks, I personally, as one Ashkenazi mom, am always ready to LEARN new techniques! Wink I am looking for a "private culinary mentor" (just fancy words! Read on for my fully-watered down definition) to come in July to my home in Boro Park, 2x/wk or so. I actually don't need a professional, im really just interested in giving my 14yo teenage daughter & a friend or 2, a good productive time in the long aimless weekday hours after they finish working in daycamp...I understand this is more than a $20 or $30/hr project & im ready to pay the price (not TOO steep tho) for the right person: anyone who relates well to teenagers (only a group of 3 or 4 at a time, I wouldnt want more) & simply has basic skills at teaching & cooking, demonstrating a few of ur favorite recipes would be perfect! If anyone knows an unmarried girl without children obligations in the early/late evenings who would be interested, that would probably be even better...this summer will be my daughter's first one not in camp & I know she'll be desperate for some activity in the afternoons but I have never heard of something like this available, CONSTRUCTIVE vs. time-wasting socializing/shopping...maybe a prospective responder wants to start such a class?? Tho we're dying to have individual attention in our own environment! Anyone??

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:33 pm
What does your DD think of this plan? Is she interested? I have a concern since you mentioned that she will be working and this is to fill her off hours. Please consider the needs of a teen to just have some time to kick back and be a teen. You may not see it as productive but they do need some down time during summer vacation.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:29 am
When I posted I was not trying to insult anyone and I'm sorry if anyone was offended. That was my experience in Ashkenazi many homes and I know personally for a fact that MANY Sefardi's have similar experiences. I have seen other posts about it on other websites.

Deli rolls and chicken with duck sauce are not appropriate for shabbat, even if its just your family and they like it. In my opinion its not respectful of shabbat. I see that care is not taken with the food and there is a lack thereof. I don't know why that is. The families seem happy with it so my opinion really doesn't matter, as long as they are happy B'H'

I was curious if they really are happy or if there was a general cause. From the reactions here, I gather people think its just a matter of taste and nothing is lacking or problematic. So to each his own!

shnitzel

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:54 pm
People cook the way they do because they like it like that.

I also find chicken often dry and food very bland but people compliment the same food I dislike. Everyone has different tastes. I do find getting food on shabbos just right extremely frustrating. The advanced preparation and reheating means that it's never just right and it's often hard to gauge when the meal will be eaten. Any suggestions on fixing that would be appreciated.

Also with little kids at home multi step cooking that requires timing is nearly impossible. All my meat was grey until I recently started cooking sous vide because I kept getting distracted. And add in the no dairy thing when baking and you are automatically starting out at a disadvantage.

smother29

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:15 am
Re-heating is definitely a big issue. Dry preparations like shnitzel or roasted chicken will often get dryer when re-heated and hard to eat. In my opinion, you have to make things braised or with a sauce. Even easy sauces.

For basic roasted chicken, saute some onions and add chicken broth and spices, pour over chicken, and then bake. The sauce will keep the chicken moist when re-heating.

Same with fish. Put 6 fish fillets (I use tilapia) in a roasting pan. In a bowl combine 2 fresh chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup each lemon juice and olive oil and one teaspoon cumin. Pour over fish and bake until cooked through.

With meat, I always braise. Mine just gets dry or gummy if I do it any other way.

Very easy and the sauce keeps everything moist when re-heating.

tichellady

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:36 am
shnitzel wrote:
People cook the way they do because they like it like that.

I also find chicken often dry and food very bland but people compliment the same food I dislike. Everyone has different tastes. I do find getting food on shabbos just right extremely frustrating. The advanced preparation and reheating means that it's never just right and it's often hard to gauge when the meal will be eaten. Any suggestions on fixing that would be appreciated.

Also with little kids at home multi step cooking that requires timing is nearly impossible. All my meat was grey until I recently started cooking sous vide because I kept getting distracted. And add in the no dairy thing when baking and you are automatically starting out at a disadvantage.

I try to serve grilled chicken slightly warmer than room temperature but not hot or it gets dried out. I make soup in the crockpot or cold soup in the summer and make veggies that are good slightly warmer Than room temperature or at room temperature (asparagus, green beans, zoodles, marinated mushrooms). Sesame noodles, quinoa salad, and brown rice salad are all good room temperature and I find potato kugel and scalloped potatoes do reheat well on a hot plate. I serve London broil slightly warmer than room temperature

You just need a few really yummy dessert recipes to rotate through (chocolate chip cookies, lemon bars, apple crisp, chocolate zebra cookies, kahlua cake, blueberry crisp, amaretto cake, sour cherry cake) and Ben and Jerrys vegan ice cream or Sharon's sorbet are my back up if I don't have time to bake. They are always enjoyed by guests. hope this helps
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen