Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are you a fabulous gourmet cook?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

rdmom

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 10:52 am
Queenert.

You will laugh at my recipe of breaded flounder with mushroom sauce.

I take frozen breaded flounder. Bake it per the bags instructions. For mushroom sauce. I sautéed the mushroom soup mix in a bit of oil. Add water and corn starch. Bring to a boil until desired thickness

Crispy onion salmon.
Mix equal parts mayo and ketchup. Schmear on salmon slices. Pour the crispy fried onions on top. Bake covered on 425 for 25 mins. Uncover for the last 5 mins.

Spicy onion salmon.
Cut onions into rings. Salutes until very soft. The darker the better but not crispy. When cooled mix in ketchup. Mayo. And sriracha sauce. Pour over salmon and bake on 425 for 25 mins. Eating the onions with the Challa is delicious

Mock sweetbread.
I sautéed a bunch of onions. Diced. Add cubed celery stalks and mushrooms. Add chicken soup or water and soup mix. Spices. When this is boiling I add tiny cubes pieces of dark chicken cutlets.

Mashed beans.
Soak navy beans. Change water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame and cook for at least 2 hours until beans are done. Cook it with spices and seasoning. Love chicken soup mix. Once done take out the water. Do not discard. With an immersion blender, blend the beans. Add water to the right consistency. It should look like mashed potatoes.

I serve that with tongue usually. Which I don't have a recipe. Hubby likes it plain boiled in water.

All these are super easy. No millions of steps to follow. Just plain good food is what they like here

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 11:15 am
I switch it up every week.
When we have guests, I love serving a wide variety. I serve small portions of each dish and keep lots of options on the table.
When it's just us at home, I make really small meals and I usually try something new. Last week we had homemade honey oat challah, white bean soup, and navel pastrami Friday night. That's enough for us!
Shabbos day we had challah, guacamole, lemon thyme baby flounder, cholent, and chocolate fudge dessert.
Every week the salads and proteins are different but I have soups and sides on a sort of rotation.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:28 pm
There's literally nothing on this thread that would be considered gourmet, fyi.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:43 pm
Agreed, none of this is Gourmet. I wonder why you ask poster? I have visited many communities in the US for shabbos and honestly virtually all of the ashkenaz families we visited had horrible food for shabbos. Sefardic families as a whole had much better food. But most ashkenaz families were frozen gefilte fish, watery chicken soup, dry chicken, watery chulent and challah like a rock. I don't know if they just don't know how to cook or they don't have the time to invest but it a sad shabbos in my opinion. I don't think it takes much extra time to make it good.

I actually enjoy cooking so I am always changing it up for shabbos. have considered writing a book of sefardic recipes for working women to make a nice shabbos but the homes I have been to are discouraging. I don't know that anyone would use it.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
Agreed, none of this is Gourmet. I wonder why you ask poster? I have visited many communities in the US for shabbos and honestly virtually all of the ashkenaz families we visited had horrible food for shabbos. Sefardic families as a whole had much better food. But most ashkenaz families were frozen gefilte fish, watery chicken soup, dry chicken, watery chulent and challah like a rock. I don't know if they just don't know how to cook or they don't have the time to invest but it a sad shabbos in my opinion. I don't think it takes much extra time to make it good.

I actually enjoy cooking so I am always changing it up for shabbos. have considered writing a book of sefardic recipes for working women to make a nice shabbos but the homes I have been to are discouraging. I don't know that anyone would use it.

As an Ashkenazi woman, I found this post offensive. I invite you to come to me for shabbos Very Happy I will serve you store bought (delicious!) challah, moist chicken and soft meat, flavorful (but watery- after all it's a liquid!) soup, roasted vegetables, a salad of sorts, and delicious Cookies. Nothing gourmet, but definitely delicious!
Perhaps you have strong sefardi tastebuds and only care for ethnic foods as opposed to more sweet/bland ashkenazi fare, but that doesn't mean ashkenazi women are bad cooks!

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:00 pm
I will say that a lot of food that is more gourmet does not sit well for the amount of time that it needs to on shabbos. Our local high end restaurant offers shabbos take out and I cant imagine most of it holding up on a blech etc.

I love food and I love to eat and cook but I have had to adapt my tastes to the needs of shabbos and yomtov and my job and kids. I can choose unique ingredients like truffle oil or exotic mixed mushrooms or duck bacon as a compromise. No one goes hungry and the food is fitting of the occasion.

egam

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:

My ashkenazy family will not let me into the kitchen if I serve them food you describe. I don't know where have you been eating, I guess you just have a terrible luck with invites. What

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:25 pm
I have probably been to over 20 ashkenaz families around the country and many more in the places that I lived and they have all been pretty close to that bad. They don't seem to realize it though, that's the thing that I don't get. They seem to think its delicious. It's either just taste level or they don't have access to good food and don't know what its supposed to taste like. I don't get it. But if they are happy, to each his own:)

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:
I have probably been to over 20 ashkenaz families around the country and many more in the places that I lived and they have all been pretty close to that bad. They don't seem to realize it though, that's the thing that I don't get. They seem to think its delicious. It's either just taste level or they don't have access to good food and don't know what its supposed to taste like. I don't get it. But if they are happy, to each his own:)

Do you realize how weird this sounds?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:38 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
As an Ashkenazi woman, I found this post offensive. I invite you to come to me for shabbos Very Happy I will serve you store bought (delicious!) challah, moist chicken and soft meat, flavorful (but watery- after all it's a liquid!) soup, roasted vegetables, a salad of sorts, and delicious Cookies. Nothing gourmet, but definitely delicious!
Perhaps you have strong sefardi tastebuds and only care for ethnic foods as opposed to more sweet/bland ashkenazi fare, but that doesn't mean ashkenazi women are bad cooks!

I think when its sweet/bland food, as ashkenazi food is, it really has to be well done to be good. When you don't put the time and love into it it very easily is just bad and I think a lot of cooks just don't put the care into it that it needs. When you spice the food up more, its more forgiving. It sounds like you really put some love into it so I bet its better than average.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
I think when its sweet/bland food, as ashkenazi food is, it really has to be well done to be good. When you don't put the time and love into it it very easily is just bad and I think a lot of cooks just don't put the care into it that it needs. When you spice the food up more, its more forgiving. It sounds like you really put some love into it so I bet its better than average.

Okay, I have determined that the ashkenazi women whose food you've tasted are not necessarily bad cooks, but you just have a strong preference for sefardi food and are not accustomed to ashkenazi fare.

Because simple foods can be delicious. Chicken with just salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary can be divine, as can potatoes with the same spices. Fish also needs minimal seasoning. With many foods, veggies especially, I use spices only to enhance their natural flavor, not to completely disguise the flavor. That's my taste, and many other ashkenazi women have similar taste. But you clearly prefer strongly flavored foods, which is why you found ashkenazi food "bland." Just like I find cilantro, turmeric and many other commonly used sefardi ingredients to be way overwhelming. To each their own.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 3:08 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Okay, I have determined that the ashkenazi women whose food you've tasted are not necessarily bad cooks, but you just have a strong preference for sefardi food and are not accustomed to ashkenazi fare.

Because simple foods can be delicious. Chicken with just salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary can be divine, as can potatoes with the same spices. Fish also needs minimal seasoning. With many foods, veggies especially, I use spices only to enhance their natural flavor, not to completely disguise the flavor. That's my taste, and many other ashkenazi women have similar taste. But you clearly prefer strongly flavored foods, which is why you found ashkenazi food "bland." Just like I find cilantro, turmeric and many other commonly used sefardi ingredients to be way overwhelming. To each their own.

Nope. I agree that simple food can be delicious but simple food is harder to make good. The garlic and rosemary on the chicken and that extra lemon squeeze on the salmon will make all the difference and can turn simple chicken or salmon into something gourmet! That's my point, it's Shabbos! Do the extra steps!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:

You probably don't have a very sophisticated palate, so you can't discern or appreciate subtle flavors. Everything needs to be super-bold. Or perhaps you're a smoker, and burnt out your taste buds.

I'm not a fabulous gourmet cook, by the way, but at least my kids like my cooking.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 3:19 pm
Ehhh lol. I'm a ger. Grew up in a black family in the South and we definitely ate good lol. My mother and grandmother are amazing cooks but I didn't really inherit that LOL I try to recreate the foods of my childhood but a lot of it was, and is, not kosher and when I make it kosher, I don't know why, it just doesn't taste as good but that's mostly because I didn't inherit the cooking gene.

For Shabbos, we mix it up. The only thing that is constant is challah. I tried gefilte fish once and it came out so bad and I promised my husband I would never make it again embarrassed So I just buy it from the store for him but I don't really like it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 3:19 pm
amother wrote:
You probably don't have a very sophisticated palate, so you can't discern or appreciate subtle flavors. Everything needs to be super-bold. Or perhaps you're a smoker, and burnt out your taste buds.

I'm not a fabulous gourmet cook, by the way, but at least my kids like my cooking.

Nope, not a smoker and I don't heavily spice my food. I do have a good palate, in fact before I was kosher I ate at the best restaurants in the world. I think that is the difference, its a long way from there to frum foods. No one in the community will ever tell the truth if it's bad, so you don't know.

Just some herbs, lemon, salt, pepper, garlic....it doesn't take much.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
There's literally nothing on this thread that would be considered gourmet, fyi.

Probably because she asked what we serve every week! I would be surprised to hear that people make their gourmet dishes for their families as opposed to waiting for guests or special occasions.

What are some foods you make that you consider gourmet?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 3:52 pm
We often serve hot pastrami sliced off of a whole roast or sliced skirt steak or other steak over a salad along with fingering or colorful gourmet potatoes and crisp green beans.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 3:53 pm
I have friends of various ethnicities who have taught me to cook Kosher Thai, Chinese (Hong Kong and mainland), Filipino, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Italian and Indian. I do not enjoy Ashkenazi cooking. I do cook some Sephardi foods. Primarily I enjoy highly spiced foods, but when it comes to fish I like it simple, some lemon juice or sliced limes. When it comes to shabbos, nothing can beat a simple roast chicken with roast veggies or a perfectly done pickled brisket.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:
We often serve hot pastrami sliced off of a whole roast or sliced skirt steak or other steak over a salad along with fingering or colorful gourmet potatoes and crisp green beans.
OP here and this is an example of what I was looking for. My definition of gourmet is taking fresh and wholesome ingredients and enhancing them with the perfect amount of flavor. For example, my ideal sort of dessert would be a delicious apple pie with a buttery crust and tart filled inside with a hint of cinnamon with some vanilla bean ice cream on the side. Mmmm.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:26 am
"Gourmet" is going to be hard to define because everybody has different tastes. For instance op mentions apple pie. I get rave review of my apple and blueberry and other pies. Never a slice left ( for chartreuse - my husband's family is Sephardi and they like it too) but I never eat it myself because I do not like mushy fruit. Go figure.

This is why I do not invite company nearly as often as we'd like too. I like to have a wide variety of food on the table in case a guest like amother chartreuse shows up there should be something for her. I don't have time to do that normally. Although admittedly I do not make gefitle fish ever and my husband makes the soups I all ready we are not the families she has been going too. I make my own gnocchi or spätzle etc. but on a regular week when I don't have the time we might have something like London broil salad.

I invite everyone from work for pre-thanksgiving once a year. This is mostly non Jews and they still seem to like the food (as judged by how much they eat). I make a chili roasted turkey, my usual lemon aid sweet potatoes, some form of sesame or Asian noodle, garlicky mashed potato or wasabi mashed potato, acorn squash with sugar red whole cranberry, my own salad recipes (salad is my specialty lol) and pumpkin brownies, apple pie and pecan pie. Sometimes also sweet potato pie. It's my favorite meal of the year.

Other favorite meals are when we have time to make fancy ethnic foods or classics like lemon meringue. But honestly I usually am too tired/don't have the timE. Which is a shame because I live trying new recipes. I try things from saveur and food and wine as well as family circle and binah. Everyone has winners and losers in my experience.

I find cholent never comes out the same twice and is an unreliable meal component. If anyone has a great reliable cholent recipe iid love to try it.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen