Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/O: What do you expect in day camp?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:13 pm
This is a spinoff of this thread: http://www.imamother.com/forum.....14514 because I'm really curious what goes on in these camps but I don't want to hijack that post. I'd like to know what things like "heimishe camps on that caliber" mean. What is that caliber? What are the alternative calibers? What is heimishe in a day camp? In what way are the chasidish camps arguably waaaay less exciting than the higher-end (Flatbush?) camps? And how anyway do they run camps in school buildings? My family went to the country when I was day camp age so I have no conceptual framework for this but as a parent I feel like I need to know what the options are. While we're on the topic, let's also compare to OOT and bungalow colony day camps.

Please describe cost, geographical zone, and camp experience. I'll start!

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:26 pm
Preschool day camp in city - about $600 per kid per half. I considered this a great deal and a very basic experience so not surprised hearing that camps for bigger kids in Brooklyn run around $1000. By basic I mean: cared for kids well and kids had a great time. Arts n crafts largely made of construction paper. Went to nearby playground with sprinkler just about every day. Nice, no frills, the kids were tiny and happy and I was happy too.

Bungalow colony when I was growing up - not sure exact cost but it was considered very cheap. It was mostly wholesome good old-fashioned fun. The HCs put more creativity than money into it, finding interesting new ways to use existing materials along with things like toilet paper rolls and egg cartons with a handful of oriental trading type crafts mixed in. Swimming every day except for rain. Activities other than swimming and crafts were things like elimination, kickball, hopscotch, jump rope... Occasional special activities were things like "hunts" for things camouflaged in the grass (the counselors would hide things for the contest) Baking was done too.

When I got older I was shipped out to Camp Morris where they had a more sophisticated day camp situation going on. There were themes and breakouts and stuff. Arts n crafts were more involved but nothing super fancy - like an upgrade from oriental trading foam projects to wood cutout type projects. I recall a mosaic made out of different colored beans. Could keep you busy half the summer just doing that! Activities were more structured but not that much different. There were a couple of Real Trips that we never had in Cheap Camp. No idea how much it cost but I'm sure there were also a lot more tips to hand out because a more structured program means more staff overall, and transportation was a new add-on for us as well.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:26 pm
I can say one thing: two summers ago my 3 yo pre-nursery daughter went to a BP very chasidish DC. Don't remember the cost but was significantly less then BY. There were weekly trips amazing artsncrafts and the theme even tied in a beautiful shiur every week accompanied by a food decorating project. Obviously it was downplayed for the preschool kids but basically the entire daycamp was following this program. ( They sent home weekly newsletter with pictures and all activities done) While I was very appreciative of the hard work an amazed at the creativity displayed, I still felt like it was too much and really over the top. My motto then was, if they're giving this to the girls now and u havta upgrade every year- by the time DD will b in Tc's major trip will be a trip to the moon.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 23 2017, 9:32 pm
OOC what are amazing A&C for 3-year-olds?
And I totally agree with you about raising impossible standards/expectations.

mha3484

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 7:39 am
I have a six year old DS. He went to two summers of back yard camp. One was eh and the other was great. Very low key. Cheap 65-80 a week.

Last year he went to the big day camp and he will go again this year. The younger division N, K and 1st grade is $1250 for the whole summer. It goes 8 out of 11 weeks. They take a trip once a week that is just medium. The boys have a lot of fun but not over the top. Places that to be honest I don't have the patience for. The groups are led by rebbeim and helped by bochurim. They daven and learn for the first two hours and then have acitvities the rest of the day. They swim or do water activities every day. He comes home exausted and happy B'H.

mha3484

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 7:41 am
I have a six year old DS. He went to two summers of back yard camp. One was eh and the other was great. Very low key. Cheap 65-80 a week.

Last year he went to the big day camp and he will go again this year. The younger division N, K and 1st grade is $1250 for the whole summer. It goes 8 out of 11 weeks. They take a trip once a week that is just medium. The boys have a lot of fun but not over the top. Places that to be honest I don't have the patience for. The groups are led by rebbeim and helped by bochurim. They daven and learn for the first two hours and then have acitvities the rest of the day. They swim or do water activities every day. He comes home exausted and happy B'H.

They also provide breakfast, lunch and snacks. Hours are 9:30-3:45. Bussing is an extra $100.00

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 8:35 am
Where do you live? That sounds great. Wonder if there's any equivalent for girls.

mha3484

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 8:43 am
Chicago.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 9:11 am
At some point a few years ago, my husband was working for Satmer. My daughter's camp finished earlier than them, and being that I work, she attended satmer daycamp for 2 weeks after spending 8 weeks in a more modern camp that cost me about $1300 for the summer.

She went on the same trips as her fancy camp went, came home with amazing arts and crafts, got free bussing and hot lunch. I didn't pay because my husband worked there, but she went with a neighbor that told me the cost of satmer camp is around $700 total for the summer. They didn't charge extra from rips, bussing, lunches, or snacks.

I felt she got much more out of the satmer camp, all at the cost of having to wear tights and long sleeves for 2 weeks. The arts n crafts were creative, the trips were the same amusement parks as all other camps, and they provided the girls with a full day jam packed with activities and sports.

The next year I compared activities, shows, trips, etc throughout the summer with my neighbors. Theven chassidish girls were doing the same things as mine for a fraction of the cost. Basically I'm paying double for camp so my kid won't have to wear long sleeves and tights in the summer.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 10:02 am
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
At some point a few years ago, my husband was working for Satmer. My daughter's camp finished earlier than them, and being that I work, she attended satmer daycamp for 2 weeks after spending 8 weeks in a more modern camp that cost me about $1300 for the summer.

She went on the same trips as her fancy camp went, came home with amazing arts and crafts, got free bussing and hot lunch. I didn't pay because my husband worked there, but she went with a neighbor that told me the cost of satmer camp is around $700 total for the summer. They didn't charge extra from rips, bussing, lunches, or snacks.

I felt she got much more out of the satmer camp, all at the cost of having to wear tights and long sleeves for 2 weeks. The arts n crafts were creative, the trips were the same amusement parks as all other camps, and they provided the girls with a full day jam packed with activities and sports.

The next year I compared activities, shows, trips, etc throughout the summer with my neighbors. Theven chassidish girls were doing the same things as mine for a fraction of the cost. Basically I'm paying double for camp so my kid won't have to wear long sleeves and tights in the summer.

How do they do it?

How do they run a camp, paying senior staff and counselors, paying for food and transportation, insurance, facilities fees, materials, and trips, for about $90 a week per child? It doesn't add up.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 10:08 am
SixOfWands wrote:
How do they do it?

How do they run a camp, paying senior staff and counselors, paying for food and transportation, insurance, facilities fees, materials, and trips, for about $90 a week per child? It doesn't add up.

not exactly sure how they do it but a lot of things they get for much better pricing then other daycamps because there part of the mosdos so they don't have to pay for bussing etc.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 10:08 am
SixOfWands wrote:
How do they do it?

The same way they could charge so little tuition.

cnc

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 10:12 am
I send my daughter to a heimish/ Chassidish day camp that's about $850 a summer with the trip fee and transportation included. There is a weekly trip and 2 major trips with coach busses. There are weekly food decorating, arts and crafts , baking, jewelry, beading and headband workshops. There are two shows a half( professional magician, bubble
show etc). And of course there is the regular swimming and sports. They were served breakfast and lunch and snack( I believe it was government funded.)

Now that I'm actually writing this I don't understand how they make a profit ( or break even!) . I worked in a day camp that was around $12-1300 a few years ago and there were weekly trips but no workshops . It was a very silly program compared to this because they were on an extremely tight budget .

I've heard people complaining that BYDC is very organized but very unexciting. I know with the previous director the preschool didn't go on weekly trips so parents didn't understand how the cost is justified for a Boro Park day camp.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 10:14 am
SixOfWands wrote:
How do they do it?

I wish I knew. My friend is the director of this particular satmer day camp and gets paid a pretty penny for the job. In addition to her 7 girls going to day camp for free.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 11:02 am
cnc wrote:
I send my daughter to a heimish/ Chassidish day camp that's about $850 a summer with the trip fee and transportation included. There is a weekly trip and 2 major trips with coach busses. There are weekly food decorating, arts and crafts , baking, jewelry, beading and headband workshops. There are two shows a half( professional magician, bubble
show etc). And of course there is the regular swimming and sports. They were served breakfast and lunch and snack( I believe it was government funded.)

Now that I'm actually writing this I don't understand how they make a profit ( or break even!) . I worked in a day camp that was around $12-1300 a few years ago and there were weekly trips but no workshops . It was a very silly program compared to this because they were on an extremely tight budget .

I've heard people complaining that BYDC is very organized but very unexciting. I know with the previous director the preschool didn't go on weekly trips so parents didn't understand how the cost is justified for a Boro Park day camp.

Are you saying that there'll be a new director this year ?

cnc

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 11:31 am
ra_mom wrote:
Are you saying that there'll be a new director this year ?

No. They switched preschool directors a few (3?)years ago and with the previous director there was I think just one trip a half or a summer. I don't know about the current director.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 12:25 pm
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
I wish I knew. My friend is the director of this particular satmer day camp and gets paid a pretty penny for the job. In addition to her 7 girls going to day camp for free.

Many daycamps rent the building. Satmar and other daycamps part of a mosdos don't.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 12:41 pm
cnc wrote:
No. They switched preschool directors a few (3?)years ago and with the previous director there was I think just one trip a half or a summer. I don't know about the current director.
Oh, I see what mean. Smile
I was beginning to wonder if the price was going up because of a new director.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 12:43 pm
I would love to understand more of the breakdown of how the chasidish camps meet their expenses. Even without rent and with some lunch assistance I'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around it. I assume there are some economies of scale involved but still - to that extent?! And with paying the directors well, and assuming that most adult staff members have at least some campers coming free with them. Whatever their secret is I bet a lot of people could use it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 12:47 pm
seeker wrote:
I would love to understand more of the breakdown of how the chasidish camps meet their expenses. Even without rent and with some lunch assistance I'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around it. I assume there are some economies of scale involved but still - to that extent?! And with paying the directors well, and assuming that most adult staff members have at least some campers coming free with them. Whatever their secret is I bet a lot of people could use it.

Their only expenses are paying counselors minimally and paying for trips and crafts.
All other day camps have to pay
Rent
Bussing
Higher wages
Food
That takes up most of the budget.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children