Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/O: What do you expect in day camp?
Previous  1  2

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 12:55 pm
seeker wrote:
I would love to understand more of the breakdown of how the chasidish camps meet their expenses. Even without rent and with some lunch assistance I'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around it. I assume there are some economies of scale involved but still - to that extent?! And with paying the directors well, and assuming that most adult staff members have at least some campers coming free with them. Whatever their secret is I bet a lot of people could use it.

Could it be that there is a bigger percentage of children with vouchers in Boro Park daycamps then in Flatbush daycamps? I know Satmer definitely has a high percentage with vouchers.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:01 pm
We're back to the voucher idea which came up in a tuition thread and I'm still waiting to find out where these vouchers are coming from.

I'm also having a hard time believing that government-sponsored food programs are enough to cover hot kosher meals unless the only thing they're serving is macaroni and canned corn. Also, aren't there per-student income caps on government lunches?

And even if you're only counting trips, salaries, and crafts/supplies, that still adds up fast... I need to do some math to see if it makes sense.

I bet a lot of teenage staff is on Youth Corps so that helps with salaries.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:05 pm
seeker wrote:
We're back to the voucher idea which came up in a tuition thread and I'm still waiting to find out where these vouchers are coming from.

I'm also having a hard time believing that government-sponsored food programs are enough to cover hot kosher meals unless the only thing they're serving is macaroni and canned corn. Also, aren't there per-student income caps on government lunches?

And even if you're only counting trips, salaries, and crafts/supplies, that still adds up fast... I need to do some math to see if it makes sense.

They DO serve macaroni every day.

cnc

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:08 pm
seeker wrote:

Interesting- it makes sense what the previous another wrote about the vouchers. I'm not eligible but most likely a percentage does have.

And yes , lunch certainly is macaroni and corn or fish sticks or bagel pizza. What do most other camps serve?

cnc

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:09 pm
Besides for the married head staff, the staff is paid minimally. Even the married women doing workshops are paid around $18 an activity period.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:13 pm
If you're getting free camp for your kids at the same location and hours as your job, $18 a period is very generous. And I'm assuming periods are about a half hour, if it's anything within 45 minutes and you have periods filling the day then upgrade that to VERY generous. If it's a good camp I'd gladly do workshops at that rate. Masters degree notwithstanding it is no picnic to find jobs that will work with your kids' camp costs and schedules.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:31 pm
I think the reasons they are so cheAp are-
1- they get lunch and snack programs from the city. They serve more than just plain pasta for lunch

2- they don't make a red cent off it and don't look to

3- they don't pay their counselors a lot of $$. I worked in a day camp that charged a lot but I didn't get paid much either so duno....

4- they shop for good deals. They team up with other day camps for shows and other stuff.

5- they spend a lot of their own money from the mosed so the parents shouldn't have to pay more. They aim to make it affordable. When you are under a mosad it's easier to do than just opening a day camp like Palgai.

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:34 pm
yes, they want their staff to be on youthcorp! most daycamps want this.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:42 pm
Yes but I think Youth Corp is partly by lottery so there are no guarantees. But I think most people who qualify get it. Aren't there income caps for that too?

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:54 pm
seeker wrote:
Yes but I think Youth Corp is partly by lottery so there are no guarantees. But I think most people who qualify get it. Aren't there income caps for that too?

I don't think there are income caps for it.

cnc

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 5:08 pm
seeker wrote:
If you're getting free camp for your kids at the same location and hours as your job, $18 a period is very generous. And I'm assuming periods are about a half hour, if it's anything within 45 minutes and you have periods filling the day then upgrade that to VERY generous. If it's a good camp I'd gladly do workshops at that rate. Masters degree notwithstanding it is no picnic to find jobs that will work with your kids' camp costs and schedules.

Periods are 45 minutes .
It comes out to around $100 a day twice a week.
Your kids do not get free daycamp and if you have a baby or toddler that's not in daycamp, you need to arrange and pay for babysitting ( which is about six or seven an hour . ) You're paying for babysitting even when not doing an activity like lunch break and snack break etc. So you're left with around $60 before taxes for a full day of work. Wouldn't call that very generous at all.

cnc

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 5:09 pm
octopus wrote:
I don't think there are income caps for it.

Right- no income caps (at least in my days...)

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 5:52 pm
Oh, so it's only the director whose kids go free? All right then. Where I came from they had teens running the workshops, teens accept minimal pay because they have few if any expenses (e.g. childcare) plus there's a fringe benefit in working together with friends.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 6:17 pm
I worked in Bya day camp which is very expensive . They have simple lunch not fancy breakouts at all . Once in a while a show . I wouldn't call it an exclusive say c amp . Major trip supper was macoroni and pickles .

Reality

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 7:03 pm
A few points:

1. BYDC lost money in the past. They raised their price to break even. How do I know? I asked someone I am close to who works there. Do I know if it is true? No, but I can't imagine she would lie to me.

2. You quoted me in your OP. I was just repeating to you what my friend who sent some of her girls to BYDC and some of her girls to Veiner Day camp. She did that because she sent her kids depending where their friends were going. I don't have personal experience because I never sent to a Chassidish day camp.

3. The activities in BYDC are better than the Flatbush camps. In the past they had gymnastics with the proper equipment, tap dancing including providing the shoes for the girls etc.. I don't know any other day camp that has activities like that. In Mesores and BYA they certainly don't have activities like that. I can't imagine the chassidish camps have that.

4. Some art projects were the same as Mesores in the past but at that time Mesores was charging a good $500 a summer more. For example personalized sweatshirts, blankets and pillows. I like it that the projects are useful and don't create clutter in my house. What kind of projects do the chassidish camps do?

Wow! I don't think I have ever posted such a long post! I am usually succinct!

I would like to add that I think it is ALOT of money! And I don't think the girls need such expensive things to be happy. I think it is better to be happy with less in general.

I am just pointing these things out because I felt a vibe of "BYDC, is being money hungry" for raising their price. All these years they were significantly cheaper than their Flatbush rivals and offering MORE than them.

cnc

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 7:39 pm
Reality wrote:
A few points:

1. BYDC lost money in the past. They raised their price to break even. How do I know? I asked someone I am close to who works there. Do I know if it is true? No, but I can't imagine she would lie to me.

2. You quoted me in your OP. I was just repeating to you what my friend who sent some of her girls to BYDC and some of her girls to Veiner Day camp. She did that because she sent her kids depending where their friends were going. I don't have personal experience because I never sent to a Chassidish day camp.

3. The activities in BYDC are better than the Flatbush camps. In the past they had gymnastics with the proper equipment, tap dancing including providing the shoes for the girls etc.. I don't know any other day camp that has activities like that. In Mesores and BYA they certainly don't have activities like that. I can't imagine the chassidish camps have that.

4. Some art projects were the same as Mesores in the past but at that time Mesores was charging a good $500 a summer more. For example personalized sweatshirts, blankets and pillows. I like it that the projects are useful and don't create clutter in my house. What kind of projects do the chassidish camps do?

Wow! I don't think I have ever posted such a long post! I am usually succinct!

I would like to add that I think it is ALOT of money! And I don't think the girls need such expensive things to be happy. I think it is better to be happy with less in general.

I am just pointing these things out because I felt a vibe of "BYDC, is being money hungry" for raising their price. All these years they were significantly cheaper than their Flatbush rivals and offering MORE than them.

My daughter comes home with a few jewelry pieces a summer. A sukkah decoration that they made that works on electricity, a wall clock that works on electricity, a messenger bag that they designed and was given in to a professional place to have their design imprinted on etc. - expensive projects. I know prices as I've been head staff in a day camp before ( not hers).

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 9:22 pm
cnc wrote:
My daughter comes home with a few jewelry pieces a summer. A sukkah decoration that they made that works on electricity, a wall clock that works on electricity, a messenger bag that they designed and was given in to a professional place to have their design imprinted on etc. - expensive projects. I know prices as I've been head staff in a day camp before ( not hers).

This is the one that costs $850 for the whole summer???

cnc

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:54 am
seeker wrote:
This is the one that costs $850 for the whole summer???

Yes! (Which is why I wrote that I'm trying to figure out how they make a profit or break even...)

For all those, that wrote that these day camps are not trying to make a profit, why not? Why would they just do this out of the goodness of their heart?
My daughter does not even belong to the "kehila " of the day camp that we send her to . I would say that neither do 80 percent of the campers.
I feel like I must be missing something!

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 4:08 am
Do these camps have adequate insurance? There must be something that explains why the prices are so low.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 6:42 am
Good crowd ideally some kids they know
Sheltered environment
Some kodesh esp boys above 6, definitely doing the prayer if they open in the morning
Longer hours, unless it makes it too expensive
Providing a hot meal but I'll be ok with a sandwich, annoyed if I must give

Great options:
possibility to go by foot
real outings (not just the park), I agree even to splurge on Disney land
an adult among the madrichot
not having to commit to daily

Very important that the kids enjoy.

I paid 40 euros per week last year
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children