Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Has anyone painted their own home?
1  2  3  Next

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 1:39 pm
I don't mean small spackle and patching jobs, I mean full bedrooms, hallways, kitchen, etc?

The estimates I got are way over our budget so I'm thinking of doing it myself. I watched some YouTube videos and the people make it seem so easy, but in reality is it that hard?

I would do one room at a time, taking it slowly.

Would you or have you done it?

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:07 pm
I've painted most of my home. It's not rocket science. One room at a time sounds right.

It's important to patch well before painting. Be sure to cover floors and anything else that could be damaged with drop cloths. Then primer, then paint. After that I like to sponge paint over the main color — sponge painting is a very easy "fancy" technique that adds depth and interest, and somewhat conceals flaws in the wall surface.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:10 pm
Thanks for responding. Right now the walls are 2 years old with white flat paint on them. Does that need primer?

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:11 pm
Also, are the doors and moldings painted before or after the walls?

cnc

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:28 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Also, are the doors and moldings painted before or after the walls?

When my house was done, they did the doors and moldings after the walls.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:38 pm
cnc wrote:
When my house was done, they did the doors and moldings after the walls.

Thanks. Do you know if I need to do the inside of the closets? When we moved into the house it was new but with flat white paint.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:43 pm
Right, doors and moldings after the walls.

Regarding the inside of closets, it's your call. If you're OK with white you can just leave it.

cnc

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:43 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Thanks. Do you know if I need to do the inside of the closets? When we moved into the house it was new but with flat white paint.

I don't think the insides are done by me. They look duller and feel rougher than the outside closet doors.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 2:51 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Thanks for responding. Right now the walls are 2 years old with white flat paint on them. Does that need primer?

Primer is the key to a good paint job. It gives the new paint the perfect surface to adhere to. Remember that all the areas to be painted including moldings will need to be scrubbed with TSP and then wiped down again.

Oh and don't buy cheap painters tape you will hate yourself. Remember too that you will need drop cloths, the cheap plastic ones are junk so spend some money on real drop cloths. When I bought drop cloths I bought a 10x10 and a 3x12 runner, less than $25.

pizza4

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:11 pm
Go for it! It's a big job but well worth the feeling of accomplishment when it's done. Dh and I painted our dining room, kitchen and hallway. Get a few rolls of painters tape, a paint roller and a brush for the corners. And a disposable paint tray.
And a strong plastic to protect the floor.

Last edited by pizza4 on Sat, Feb 25 2017, 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:11 pm
I would add that you should sand all the spackling - rough sand paper first and then finer. It is easy.

jflower

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:21 pm
OP, when I first read your title I envisioned you on a ladder painting the outside of your house and was going to try to talk you out of it. I'm relieved to hear that you're talking about the interior. I think your idea of painting one room at a time is an excellent one. Good luck

kiryat sefer

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:33 pm
I did! Dining room ceiling, bedroom door , bedroom and dining room my mom did.

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 3:41 pm
It's also worth it to invest in tools for corners and such, ... Also this is the time to wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty. And you might want to check out easy to clean paint for the walls

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:05 pm
I did the woodworks and doors in my old apt. It was made with water paint. So as soon as I tried washing it the paint came off. After 4 years it looked so awful I painted it. We moved less than a year later. Had I known it wouldn't have done it.

I say invest in good tools and and ask around for a paint that washes well.

If yoir a newbie, even one wall at a time is good progress.

Iyh, when we move, I plan to do with my my husband iyh. Or myself even.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:14 pm
It's a huge job. I did it partway in my first apartment, halfway up the wall until the waist high molding. It was a lot harder than I expected. But I just couldn't look at the walls anymore. They had originally been done with a paint that didn't clean and every time someone touched the wall we had a reminder forever. I end up doing much less than I had planned to. But whatever I did was worthwhile.
Start very very small. Think about one focal wall that would make a difference to you and start there. Then see if you can finish the room.

pause

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:22 pm
It is not hard, but may take longer than you think. The hardest and longest part of the job is taping off the moldings. Agree with MY, use FROG TAPE instead of duck tape, and make sure it's taped well. The actual painting is a lot of fun.

I covered the floor in plastic tablecloths as well as whatever furniture was not movable. You will need a stepladder or high chair, like a bar chair to reach till the ceiling.

Primer is not necessary if your walls are two years old. You can buy paint that is mixed with primer to make it easier and just as good. You will need to do 2 coats, but it dries fast, so I was able to do both coats in one day. One room needed 3 but that was unusual.

Try out paint colors on the wall before buying a huge can. If you go to home depot, they sell the color you want in a sample size for about $2. That sample size may be enough for you if you have a small room or if you're going to do multiple colors in one room (for example, stripes or accent wall, etc.) I only found out about this after I spent a pretty penny on their smallest official size.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:52 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Primer is the key to a good paint job. It gives the new paint the perfect surface to adhere to. Remember that all the areas to be painted including moldings will need to be scrubbed with TSP and then wiped down again.

Oh and don't buy cheap painters tape you will hate yourself. Remember too that you will need drop cloths, the cheap plastic ones are junk so spend some money on real drop cloths. When I bought drop cloths I bought a 10x10 and a 3x12 runner, less than $25.

I will buy good drop cloths because I want this to work.

Some more questions for all of you:

What is TSP?

And as pause said, is it okay to buy paint mixed with primer to save myself the job? If I do use primer then do I do the entire Room? Like a coat of paint?

I forgot to ask, when I do the doors, does the top and side with the hinges get painted, too? Will that make it harder for the door to close afterwords?

Thanks

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:55 pm
MY, Which painters tape is the cheap one?

Pause, what is FROG tape and how is it different?

I once used painters tape to hang an arts and crafts but it stuck so well it took some of the paint off when I took the artwork off. Will that happen here?

And of course, which width painters tape?

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 24 2017, 4:57 pm
A brush for the edges or one of the sponges on a stick I saw at Lowes?

What is a tool for the corners?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains