Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you only use Kosher dish soap?
1  2  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 7:19 pm
I consider myself middle in terms of yeshivish or modern. Someone in my circle mentioned that she only uses kosher dish soap. I never even considered this and assumed it wad only done in the ultra yeshivish/chadidish crowd. Do you only use kosher dish soap and how frum are you?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 7:24 pm
only kosher.
being that palmolive and dawn both have ou it is so not a big deal.
consider myself yeshivish. I live in lkwd.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 7:48 pm
All major hashgachot say it's not needed Good for her if she feels she must hold more. I do know a lot about kashrut. More than the average person. Otherwise, don't think my religious level is relevant.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 8:18 pm
In the US at least, almost all dish soaps have a hechsher anyways, though I agree that the hashgochos say it is not necessary.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 8:22 pm
I use Dawn because I find it best but any dish soap is fine to use halachicly.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 8:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I use Dawn because I find it best but any dish soap is fine to use halachicly.

It is really unbelievable how Dawn (particularly, the blue, original kind) is so much better than others (and for anything requiring grease removal, not just dishes).

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 8:29 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
It is really unbelievable how Dawn (particularly, the blue, original kind) is so much better than others (and for anything requiring grease removal, not just dishes).
I agree. It's a lifesaver when it comes to kids laundry too.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 8:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Or for any greasy food stain on any laundry. I keep one in my laundry room to pre treat greasy stains.

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 11:31 pm
I don't do it on purpose but it happens to be that pretty much every dish soap I've ever seen has OU. I just checked my current 7th generation bottle and yep it's there. So I guess I'm unwittingly ultra-orthodox now? LOL

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 11:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:

How and when do you use it with laundry?

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 11:48 pm
I asked the star-k after I bought honest dish soap and realized it didn't have a symbol. I was told it was a problem since it was dish soap and not dish detergent.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Feb 25 2017, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:

Rub it on to pretreat.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:00 am
amother wrote:

Make the garment wet. Spread the Dawn on palms and rub into food/oil/wine/dirt stains. Allow to sit a bit. Rub until stain is removed. Rinse off soap before washing in washing machine (too many suds for a HE machine).

L K

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:01 am
Someone told me that certain *hand* soap (milk and honey iirc) is problematic because of Basar bechalav issue. I wonder if it ever comes up for dish detergents.

5mom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:08 am
Even if your soap doesn't have a hashgacha, it's unlikely to contain nonkosher ingredients. Most halachik discussions assume that you're using soap that is made with the fat of a nonkosher animal. That's incredibly unlikely nowadays.

Here's an article that lays out the issues involved.

https://oukosher.org/blog/kosh.....oaps/

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:20 am
amother wrote:
I asked the star-k after I bought honest dish soap and realized it didn't have a symbol. I was told it was a problem since it was dish soap and not dish detergent.

This is so confusing to me. Is there an actual difference? They can't just call their stuff soap or detergent at whim? Never mind that whatever-it-is only touches your dishes for a few seconds and then gets rinsed off and goes down the drain...

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 1:00 am
I once asked the OU's WebbeRebbe this question (I wanted to use a specialty soap for washing dishes, because of my terrible eczema. The soap is vegan, so no basar v'chalav issues.) The response was:

"It is generally assumed that dishwashing detergents are not edible entities, and Halachically they do not have a non-kosher status even if they contain non-kosher ingredients, as is often the case. Nonetheless, some Poskim maintain that it has been the established Minhag Yisrael (Jewish custom) to use kosher detergents on plates, pots and utensils as they come in contact with food. An OU on a detergent insures the kosher status of that product. That said, if one used non-certified dishwashing detergent, Bidieved (after the fact), the kosher status of the utensils would not be compromised."

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 5:01 am
Is there anywhere in any industrialized country that has NON kosher dish soap?

I'm pretty sure the days of using pig fat and lye are far behind us. Now we have soaps with chemical ingredients that are impossible to pronounce unless you have a PHD.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 6:49 am
Soap is not only unedible, it is used to make food halachically "not edible".

You have your answer.

It's all business.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 7:58 am
I use dish soap only with a hechsher (ou is fine)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics