Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Public transportation from Brooklyn to Newark Airport

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:47 am
DD is travelling by herself to Israel to spend time with grandparents/friends. She is travelling from Newark direct. We will not be able to drive her to Newark as we will already be out of town ourselves for Pesach. What is the easiest way for a girl lugging a big suitcase to get from Brooklyn to Newark Airport via public transportation?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:21 am
Google map says to get to Penn Station in Manhattan, take a 25 minute train ride to Newark, and then take a 5 minute AirTrain ride once at the airport.
Make sure her big suitcase has very good wheels and handle and that she doesn't have to carry anything else.

Are you sure you don't want to pay for her to take a cab to the airport?

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:22 am
It will likely take her over 2 hours, and involve a lot of shlepping a heavy suitcase up and down steps, and that's even before she gets to the airport, goes through security, waits at the gate, boards, and has a long flight - she'll be exhausted! If you can afford it, a direct taxi will be much faster and more convenient, and a lot less taxing.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:37 pm
OP here. $90. car service to airport. $72. & $18. toll.

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:41 pm
I dont know anyone that goes to the airport from brooklyn via public transportation even with a small light weight suitcase. its not set up for any easy way. the best option would be a cab. yes they are expensive. consider this part of the trip. it will be mighty hard for her otherwise.

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:47 pm
A car service won't be cheap, but you should be able to do much better than that quote. Have you tried Eastland? I would start with them, and then also ask Uber/Lyft for a quote.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:50 pm
Call Church Ave Car Service and price the trip. 718-633-4900

Sadie

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:06 pm
sourstix wrote:
I dont know anyone that goes to the airport from brooklyn via public transportation even with a small light weight suitcase. its not set up for any easy way. the best option would be a cab. yes they are expensive. consider this part of the trip. it will be mighty hard for her otherwise.

I've done it. I took the subway to Port Authority and there's a very comfortable airport bus that goes there direct. It's not any more annoying than taking public transportation to JFK. But I wouldn't necessarily want an inexperienced teen to do it alone. If she's a seasoned traveler then it's no problem.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:34 pm
sourstix wrote:

I've certainly gone to JFK from Brooklyn via public transportation but I've never gone to Newark. How old is DD? I'm assuming she's in her later teens if you're sending her by herself.

If she can maneuver her suitcase without a problem and regularly takes public transportation, it shouldn't be a major issue. It will be a bit annoying and she should leave with plenty of time, but sometimes you have to do slightly annoying things when cutting costs.

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:46 pm
if she needs to shlep a heavy suitcase she will need to go a lot of steps up and down to the train station and then out. if shes willing then go for it. I personally wouldnt. and I do pretty much a lot to save money this I wouldnt. good luck. church ave car service is great. and so is munkatch but munkatch is expensie. church is more reasonable. munkatch is jewish.

btw newark is further then jfk. not sure how much though.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 5:21 pm
OP here. DD age 24!! Comfortable in subway. She will be fine. There are elevators. Just wanted to hear from someone who has done it to Newark...

egam

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 6:47 pm
She can take a train to Newark airport train station and AirTran from there or there are airport shuttles from Penn station.
http://brooklyn.about.com/od/g.....n.htm
Also check GoAirolink shuttle.
https://www.goairlinkshuttle.c.....P8HAQ

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:32 pm
Thanks for the links. Appreciated!

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 9:33 am
ra_mom wrote:
Call Church Ave Car Service and price the trip. 718-633-4900

That number is for a pharmacy.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
That number is for a pharmacy.

Lol, sorry. LOL I often confuse these 2 places that I call. Church Ave is 718-633-4444.

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 9:50 am
The correct number for that car service is 718-633-4444.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 9:50 am
I've done it many times, but from Manhattan - I think the only difference is a longer subway ride (and more changes) to get to Penn Station from Brooklyn than from a starting point Manhattan. I've used the train and AirTran.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 9:55 am
Check Uber's price
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics