Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Organic Baby Spinach, triple washed is in many BP stores

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:35 am

Yes yes, Ill ask my L O R ! But can I get an idea...

Im seeing this is many BP stores so Im wondering.

Do people who buy this check every single leaf of baby spinach?

That could take an hour per serving.

Is there a quick method?

cbsp

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:39 am
It's the organic that might be more problematic because of a possible higher rate of infestation... My husband (kashrus professional) said he would check every leaf but that you should ask your LOR (as you indicated you would)

It could be that people don't realize that it needs to be checked. Is there a hechsher?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:20 am

Theres some kind of Hechsher but it doesnt say it doesnt need checking (it doesnt say ain tzarich bdika).

cbsp

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:25 am
amother wrote:

Theres some kind of Hechsher but it doesnt say it doesnt need checking.

That's the Rabbinical Board of San Francisco. They are not giving a hechsher on its bug free status but rather that they've deemed the lettuce itself kosher.

For what it's worth, this agency does not appear on the cRc (from Chicago, not Hisachdus) list of recommended agencies.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:11 am
How does everyone check all the small dark baby spinach leaves?

cbsp

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:18 am
amother wrote:

It could be they don't. Not because it doesn't need it but because "it's sold all over the place in the frum stores and look that's a hechsher and everyone else is eating it so it must be fine."

Kudos to you for asking. If you do end up consulting your LOR would you mind posting his response?

FWIW I've been in restaurants at off peak hours and the mashgiach was diligently sitting over a massive pile of greenery checking each item.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:52 am
cbsp wrote:
It could be they don't.

If theyre liquifying it for Smoothies, they dont have to, according to some Poskim.

I just called someone to ask how Id check this for salad. They said theyd call me back.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 11:16 am
cbsp wrote:
That's the Rabbinical Board of San Francisco. They are not giving a hechsher on its bug free status but rather that they've deemed the lettuce itself kosher.

For what it's worth, this agency does not appear on the cRc (from Chicago, not Hisachdus) list of recommended agencies.

I'm wondering what a mashgiach for raw spinach has to make sure doesn't happen to it.

cbsp

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 12:42 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I'm wondering what a mashgiach for raw spinach has to make sure doesn't happen to it.

Most of the time if there's a hechsher on produce it's related to the bug issue. In this case the agency is not addressing that aspect. The raw spinach here is processed (via the triple washing) so maybe they're certifying that the equipment used was ok? I know sometimes salad companies pack multiple (not always kosher) ingredients in their salad bags so maybe it's addressing that point as well...

(My husband, who pointed out the hechsher is not on the list of recommended agencies, said they're basically certifying that it's baby spinach).

I could be cynical and say that maybe the company wanted a kosher symbol but none of the major agencies wanted to assure bug free status so they got an agency to just place their symbol on it that certifies it's spinach and they hope the consumer either 1. knows how to check (or uses it for juicing without having actually seen any bugs) or 2. Doesn't think into things like our OP

(The above is my perspective, not representative of my husband's take on it. I grew up in BP thinking that "if there's a symbol and everyone is buying it out must be ok" )

cbg

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:

https://vimeo.com/90024562

cnc

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 6:06 pm
Besides for the bug issue, why would it even need a hechsher?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen