Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is this the reason the paint comes off??

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 1:39 pm
I put wet laundry on my white big crib. I see some of the paint came off. Is this the reason? Bought paint a while ago, don't want to touch up if I will continue using it to dry clothes.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 1:45 pm
I'm not sure I understand but if you're using the crib to hang wet laundry on, then yes, it does take off the finish.

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 1:59 pm
It really shouldn't. Paint is made to withstand water a certain amount. Unless it was primer then yes it's not made to withstand water.

To clarify. Paint is made to withstand water. Primer not.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:32 pm
Outdoor paint is made to withstand water, although it is by no means water PROOF. You can't use it for an underwater house. For that you'd need a formula made for immersion in water, like the stuff with which they paint boats.

Indoor paint is not made to withstand water. Neither are cribs. If you expose something meant to be dry to repeated cycles of wetting and drying, the paint WILL peel.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:38 pm
Read my lips: Wooden furniture, painted or not, is not for hanging damp anything, period. If coated, the coating will peel, and whether coated or not, the grain will rise and eventually the wood will splinter and split.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
I put wet laundry on my white big crib. I see some of the paint came off. Is this the reason? Bought paint a while ago, don't want to touch up if I will continue using it to dry clothes.

There are a couple of issues at play here. First off if the crib wasn't sanded and prepped properly paint can peel. Wood is typically finished with oil or polymer based coatings. If you put latex paint over it without sanding and stripping the paint will peel. (It all has to do with chemistry.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics