Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Calev/Caleb

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 7:06 pm
I really like this name. Why is it that you don't run into Jews with this name? My husband likes it but is concerned it's not a Jewish name (even though obviously it has strong biblical origins). Any explanations would be really appreciated.

rednavy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 7:54 pm
I have two frum friends whose sons are Caleb. I think it is used in modern orthodox communities.

sequoia

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 7:55 pm
It is definitely a Jewish name Smile

tovli toraspicha

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:10 pm
Of course it is a Jewish name. Calev ben Yefuneh was a very positive character in Tanach. Some names are very popular and widespread and some are not. Doesn't make it less of a "Jewish" name. Very Happy

sometimes people specifically like to give their children a name that is a bit unique. I think it is a beautiful name.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:36 pm
Thanks!! I know one poster mentioned knowing someone with these names, anyone else? I know it's unique, I'm trying to figure out how I feel about a name that is too unique... Very Happy

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:58 pm
I thought it wasn't used so much by modern Israelis because of the secondary meaning of "dog". But I really like the name.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:33 pm
I also know a Calev, I think it's a beautiful name.

agreer

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 9:35 pm
I know one Colev in our JPF community.
I love the name Caleb. Colev, not so much, but it's not terrible.

Moonlight

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:08 pm
I know a Caleb kid

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:25 pm
I know a couple of heimish Calevs.

5mom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 11:34 pm
Agreeing with other posters - it's a lovely name, but without vowels, it means dog. That's setting a child up for a lifetime of teasing. If you use the English Caleb, it's not as big a deal.

I've always felt bad for Calev, that he was such a hero and his name has fallen by the wayside.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 12:45 am
5mom wrote:
Agreeing with other posters - it's a lovely name, but without vowels, it means dog. That's setting a child up for a lifetime of teasing. If you use the English Caleb, it's not as big a deal.

I've always felt bad for Calev, that he was such a hero and his name has fallen by the wayside.

Just to underscore this point - the only spelling of the name is without vowels. There is no other way to spell the name. Thus any Hebrew speaker seeing the name in print, unless they're reading a biblical or Bible related text about Calev ben Yefuneh, will automatically read it as dog which is such a uniquitious word that the eye just recognizes it as such immediately.
For this reason, the name Calev is just not used in the Hebrew speaking world.
Yes - it's a shame because he was indeed a hero, a fearless warrior and a man of integrity, and his name has been pretty much lost.
Even the street in Jerusalem named after him that runs parallel to Rechov Yehuda is called Rechov Ben Yefuneh, without mention of his first name.

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:03 am
Well, Caleb is an acceptable name in the English-speaking world. In "Sarah, Plain and Tall," the boy's name is Caleb.

pond user

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:53 am
Love the name. It was second choice for our son but we were going to use caleb as opposed to calev so no one would confuse it with the meaning of dog. I know 2 calebs in real life. One of them is Israeli.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 3:06 am
In Israel. the English form of Calev, Caleb - a name that people might be familiar with from the world of entertainment, TV or sports - is translated back into Hebrew as קיילב

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 7:36 am
MitzadSheini wrote:
I thought it wasn't used so much by modern Israelis because of the secondary meaning of "dog". But I really like the name.

THIS. My first thought was "Oh no, the kids are going to call him Kelev!" Either that, or "Chalav", milk. If you're in America, you might be OK though.

I remember one time in ulpan, when we were learning how to order in a restaurant. A friend of mine said "Ani rotza cafe im kelev" (I want coffee with a dog, instead of with milk) and we all died laughing for the next 5 minutes. I thought the teacher was going to plotz! I asked her if she wanted a teacup poodle. LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 7:39 am
sequoia wrote:
Well, Caleb is an acceptable name in the English-speaking world. In "Sarah, Plain and Tall," the boy's name is Caleb.

Caleb is very popular in fundamentalist Xian circles, especially in the American midwest and southern states. It's also popular in Canada. I think it's because they don't have the worry about Hebrew confusion. On it's own, it's a lovely name, and I've always liked it. It always makes me think of ranch hands and farm boys.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 7:48 am
I know a bunch of Calebs

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 9:56 am
Love it- does not matter what you name your child the mean kids will find a way to make fun- Calev was an incredible person and it would be an honor to be named for him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names