Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Any Child psychologist/ therapists out there?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 7:29 am
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what it might mean, without hearing further info.
My son just turned seven and constantly draws pictures of a house on top of a tall hill. Sometimes with rain pouring sometimes just some puffy clouds. Any clue what it might portray about his inner thoughts and feelings?
I am trying to figure out whats going on with him lately and I have a strong feeling this would help clue me in.
Waiting for appointment at psychologist but in meantime would love to hear. TIA

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:26 am
I'm am a child play therapist. It might mean something and it might not, but interpreting a picture without being aware of any other facts in the child's life is like stating a child has the flu just by seeing a runny nose.
Therapists may draw inferences from artwork and may make assumptions as to what they mean based on knowledge of the child's nature, history, trauma, and behavior etc.
A therapist that would factually interpret a picture with no other knowledge about the child is not someone I would trust my child with.

Hope all goes well with the psychologist.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:31 am
I'm not a professional.

Have you asked your son to tell you a story about his picture? Ask him who lives in the house, if they like living on the hill, if it's cold or hot outside the house, and anything else you can gather from the picture.

My DD has a lot of trouble communicating emotions, and I have had her draw pictures of feelings, and then have her explain them to me. Same thing with drawing her nightmares. Just telling me about it seems to make her feel better, and gives her more of a feeling of control.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:34 am
amother wrote:
I'm am a child play therapist. It might mean something and it might not, but interpreting a picture without being aware of any other facts in the child's life is like stating a child has the flu just by seeing a runny nose.
Therapists may draw inferences from artwork and may make assumptions as to what they mean based on knowledge of the child's nature, history, trauma, and behavior etc.
A therapist that would factually interpret a picture with no other knowledge about the child is not someone I would trust my child with.

Hope all goes well with the psychologist.

Thank you I hear your point. I actually thought not giving other clues might help give a more "open" analysis.
But the way you put it I understood it...

So I am newly divorced. In the beginning he was fine (seperated 2 years). For the past 3 months or so he has become insecure, anxious and lost his charming care free brightness and kind of became dull... I am worried. Any idea wht the pictures might be telling me?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:44 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm not a professional.

Have you asked your son to tell you a story about his picture? Ask him who lives in the house, if they like living on the hill, if it's cold or hot outside the house,and anything else you can gather from the picture.

My DD has a lot of trouble communicating emotions, and I have had her draw pictures of feelings, and then have her explain them to me. Same thing with drawing her nightmares. Just telling me about it seems to make her feel better, and gives her more of a feeling of control.

FF thank you. I admire how in your most difficult hours you have the frame if mind to care about other peoples problems. Thank you!

I took your advice ans this is what he told me:

"We live on a tall mountain outside the city. Daddy also lives there because he cant be bothered to always travel so far when its my turn to sleep by him. I dont go to school cuz its too hard to climb the mountain every day."

To my question who lives with us on that mountain
"No one else. Its jus[ us"
To my question "what about going to shul and groceries?" he firrst said "well we have a shul at home" and then switched "the shul and grocery are at the bottom of the moutain."
Not the same for school (big clue right there, hu)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children