Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Kimmel's joke at Oscars about Trump's 5 am bowel movement
1  2  Next

Was Kimmel's joke at Oscars about Trump's 5 am bowel movement acceptable?
Yes  
 31%  [ 14 ]
No  
 68%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 45

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:10 pm
Kimmel passed (sheesh, is this pun-like?) the boundary of decency when he joked that Trump will be tweeting at 5 am when he has his bowel movement.

Lots of Kimmel's jokes were funny, but this one was distasteful.

Last edited by Mevater on Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:27 pm
It was definitely a lame joke, but whatever. One of the most wonderful things about this country is that you can make a joke like that and live to tell the tale. Heck, in Mitzrayim, Paroh went to extraordinary lengths to make sure no one knew he had bowel movements at all! I was actually impressed that the Oscars wasn't one long parade of anti-Trump screeds, and the winners (for the most part) stuck to thanking all the people they had to thank and kept politics either out or very subtle.

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
It was definitely a lame joke, but whatever. One of the most wonderful things about this country is that you can make a joke like that and live to tell the tale. Heck, in Mitzrayim, Paroh went to extraordinary lengths to make sure no one knew he had bowel movements at all! I was actually impressed that the Oscars wasn't one long parade of anti-Trump screeds, and the winners (for the most part) stuck to thanking all the people they had to thank and kept politics either out or very subtle.

Meryl Streep got a standing ovation at the Oscars after knocking Trump at another awards event. Some winners mentioned that theyre immigrants, and many women wore Planned Parenthood buttons.

Trump and his policies were clearly the "in" thing to joke about at the Oscars.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:43 pm
Mevater wrote:
Meryl Streep got a standing ovation at the Oscars after knocking Trump at another awards event. Some winners mentioned that theyre immigrants, and many women wore Planned Parenthood buttons.

Why is being proud of being an immigrant or wearing a planned parenthood button joking about trump?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:44 pm
Mevater wrote:

Right, I was referencing Meryl Streep. I was expecting more of the same at the Oscars and was pleasantly surprised to find that it mostly wasn't, and most people didn't use their platform to make it about politics. Wearing Planned Parenthood buttons is of course a statement, though not a particularly exciting one. So is wearing a MAGA dress to the Grammy's. So what, it's a free country. And political rants at award shows, while stupid, are nothing new. Remember Michael Moore back in 03?

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:46 pm
tichellady wrote:
Why is being proud of being an immigrant or wearing a planned parenthood button joking about trump?

These are the S P E C I F I C policies that Trump is being criticized about. I think it was clearly understood by all that mention of these issues were insults to Trump. And its all ok, but Kimmel's bowel movement joke went a bit too far, I think.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:55 pm
Mevater wrote:
These are the S P E C I F I C policies that Trump is being criticized about. I think it was clearly understood by all that mention of these issues were insults to Trump. And its all ok, but Kimmel's bowel movement joke went a bit too far, I think.

Political disagreement is not an "insult."

Referring to Trump as "Cheeto" is an insult. Disagreeing with his policies is not. Trump, unfortunately, does tend to mix those things up.

I didn't watch the Oscars (although I did see a clip of the confusion at the end of the show; FTR, Slate zoomed in on the envelope, and it clearly reads "Best Actress"). If as stated, Kimmel's joke was crude, but still humorous given Trump's penchant for frequent tweeting.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:57 pm
Mevater wrote:

It's not insulting to disagree with the president. That's allowed and healthy in a democracy.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 1:57 pm
Potty humor after the age of 4 is never appropriate.

(And I have an arsenal of really questionable humor. Potty is just not funny to me.)

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Potty humor after the age of 4 is never appropriate.

(And I have an arsenal of really questionable humor. Potty is just not funny to me.)

I'm with FF on this.

My observation is that there is one unifying thread among people who tell potty jokes as adults: none of them has ever actually potty-trained a child. Those of us who have are well and truly over it.

agreer

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:01 pm
I love President Trump, and yet I thought it was funny... he DOES tweet too much.

treestump

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:04 pm
I thought it was both funny and tasteless.

Compared to previous tasteless Oscar jokes - like the boob song - it seems pretty mild though.

I'd say overall he was a good host.

Of course, his entire performance is overshadowed by the Best Picture gaffe...

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:10 pm
treestump wrote:

Poor Warren Beatty. People keep saying he made the mistake when he didn't. He was clearly confused, and looking in the envelope for another card. He showed it to Faye Dunaway as if to say "what do we do," and she announced that La La Land won. But I have to say, the La La Land folks handled it nicely.

And as I said above, Slate zoomed in on the envelope, which definitely said Best Actress. So its relatively certain that the snafu had nothing to do with Russians hacking the awards because they preferred La La Land to Moonlight.

treestump

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Poor Warren Beatty. People keep saying he made the mistake when he didn't. He was clearly confused, and looking in the envelope for another card. He showed it to Faye Dunaway as if to say "what do we do," and she announced that La La Land won. But I have to say, the La La Land folks handled it nicely.

And as I said above, Slate zoomed in on the envelope, which definitely said Best Actress. So its relatively certain that the snafu had nothing to do with Russians hacking the awards because they preferred La La Land to Moonlight.

Lol, did you see all the conspiracy theories circling around the internet though? Some people think it was a publicity stunt for the Academy Awards...

La La Land will survive - they won six awards, they're raking it in, and got international acclaim. Jordan Horowitz handled it masterfully.

I feel bad for Moonlight though. The fact that they won Best Picture is a by the way side fact. The moment that should have been their shining moment, with the spotlight on them, was taken away, and their win was upstaged...

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:21 pm
treestump wrote:

And no small mistake, "The Oscars’ In Memoriam included a person who’s still alive".

http://www.avclub.com/article/.....51109

treestump

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:29 pm
Mevater wrote:
And no small mistake, "The Oscars’ In Memoriam included a person who’s still alive".

Oh god, I didn't even catch that. Wow.

Well this sure is one Academy Awards event which is going down in history...

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:32 pm
My family loves BM and farting related jokes... We make them all the time and laugh at others. Other people would think its distasteful, but we don't. That includes farting on one another, catching farts and the like. Not a day goes by in our household without a joke about sitting on the can, dropping a duece, or some fart sound joke.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:32 pm
Mevater wrote:

My filter's blocking this. Who'd they kill off?

treestump

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 2:40 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
My filter's blocking this. Who'd they kill off?

From the article:

We knew this year’s Oscars In Memoriam segment was going to be a tearjerker, what with 2016 being the year that claimed the lives of so many of our faves. But there was one viewer who was left devastated by the reel—Jan Chapman, the Oscar-nominated producer of The Piano, who saw a photo of herself included in the clip. It turns out, the photo was misattributed to Janet Patterson, the late costume designer who worked with Chapman on The Piano. Chapman issued a statement about the blunder via Variety, in which she takes the Academy to task for not catching the error before airing the segment, and also makes it very clear that she’s very much alive.

I was devastated by the use of my image in place of my great friend and long-time collaborator Janet Patterson. I had urged her agency to check any photograph which might be used, and understand that they were told that the Academy had it covered. Janet was a great beauty and four-time Oscar nominee, and it is very disappointing that the error was not picked up. I am alive and well and an active producer.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 3:22 pm
treestump wrote:
From the article:

We knew this year’s Oscars In Memoriam segment was going to be a tearjerker, what with 2016 being the year that claimed the lives of so many of our faves. But there was one viewer who was left devastated by the reel—Jan Chapman, the Oscar-nominated producer of The Piano, who saw a photo of herself included in the clip. It turns out, the photo was misattributed to Janet Patterson, the late costume designer who worked with Chapman on The Piano. Chapman issued a statement about the blunder via Variety, in which she takes the Academy to task for not catching the error before airing the segment, and also makes it very clear that she’s very much alive.

I was devastated by the use of my image in place of my great friend and long-time collaborator Janet Patterson. I had urged her agency to check any photograph which might be used, and understand that they were told that the Academy had it covered. Janet was a great beauty and four-time Oscar nominee, and it is very disappointing that the error was not picked up. I am alive and well and an active producer.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics