Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
I don't know what boys wear to a wedding!
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 9:59 pm
Doesn't anyone consider the comfort of the child? Children are not small adults and shouldn't be trussed up in monkey suits just because their big brother or aunt is getting married and their doting mama or grandma want them to look "cute". You like miniatures, buy Lladro figurines.

Furthermore, the tone of the OP was less"I want ds to look nice at this simcha" than a panicky "OMG what do I DO I have to dress my kid according to the rules of the Great Kahuna and I have no idea what those rules are will someone help me please lest we be banished from the village?" Which is, if you will pardon my being so blunt, ridiculous. I stand by my post.Simetimes people need to get a dose of clear-eyed realism aka common sense.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 10:54 pm
zaq wrote:
Doesn't anyone consider the comfort of the child? Children are not small adults and shouldn't be trussed up in monkey suits just because their big brother or aunt is getting married and their doting mama or grandma want them to look "cute". You like miniatures, buy Lladro figurines.

Furthermore, the tone of the OP was less"I want ds to look nice at this simcha" than a panicky "OMG what do I DO I have to dress my kid according to the rules of the Great Kahuna and I have no idea what those rules are will someone help me please lest we be banished from the village?" Which is, if you will pardon my being so blunt, ridiculous. I stand by my post.Simetimes people need to get a dose of clear-eyed realism aka common sense.

This is the OP. I'm sorry but I found your previous two comments to be very hurtful and totally uncalled for. Whatever tone you think you may have heard in my post couldn't have been further from the truth. I come from a very small family and have never, until this point, been to any wedding (family or otherwise) with my children. This wedding is very far from Yeshivish and if you knew me or my DH in real life, you would know that a shidduch or fear of displeasing the "frum police" is the last reason on earth I would ever choose to do or not do something. I posted because this is not my normal and not something I'm particularly good at or familiar with and wanted advice from those ladies who have BTDT many times and hopefully save myself some time and aggravation. And I also don't appreciate extrapolating from my short posts the insinuation that I would deliberately make my children unhappy and/or uncomfortable to boost my own ego. My kids are very much looking forward to this and my DH and I are looking forward to the pleasure we'll get from the pictures for many years to come.

I'm not sure why I feel the need to defend myself for something so silly but any "panicky OMG" moments is of your own making and biases. I assure you, no hysterical theatrics over here. Maybe you felt that way because I asked more than one question at a time in my pp??

I guess I would just like people to realize that there is someone sitting behind the computer screen. I wouldn't talk that way to someone in real life and was taken aback to be spoken to like that without any real provocation.

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
This is the OP. I'm sorry but I found your previous two comments to be very hurtful and totally uncalled for. Whatever tone you think you may have heard in my post couldn't have been further from the truth. I come from a very small family and have never, until this point, been to any wedding (family or otherwise) with my children. This wedding is very far from Yeshivish and if you knew me or my DH in real life, you would know that a shidduch or fear of displeasing the "frum police" is the last reason on earth I would ever choose to do or not do something. I posted because this is not my normal and not something I'm particularly good at or familiar with and wanted advice from those ladies who have BTDT many times and hopefully save myself some time and aggravation. And I also don't appreciate extrapolating from my short posts the insinuation that I would deliberately make my children unhappy and/or uncomfortable to boost my own ego. My kids are very much looking forward to this and my DH and I are looking forward to the pleasure we'll get from the pictures for many years to come.

I don't think Zaq was referring to you, rather some of the posters who suggested (what to me appear to be insanely) expensive evening wear and fancy suits.

Some points to consider:
1. Your kids' comfort.
2. How you want them to look. Do you generally like matching kids or do you not care? (In some communities it's a big "thing", in others it's a non-starter.)
3. What time is the wedding scheduled to start? How old are your kids? (I have a pair of baby pyjamas that look like a tux...cute but he could sleep in it. Appropriate for the 9:00 p.m. start of my 2nd cousin's wedding when I had a 5 week old.)
4. I don't remember whose wedding it is...are you close to the kallah and does SHE have a preference? (I'm not ignoring the chasson, but most guys don't notice this stuff.)

Personally, as I already noted, I put my kids in Shabbos clothes. Including a dark vest/sweater over their white/light shirts because that way I don't have to look at the tomato/strawberry/chocolate stains all night and get frustrated. And yes, for those who need them, bibs at the dinner table are 100% acceptable!

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 11:38 am
I like the vest look, dressy but not restricted to a suit, especially for your younger boy. next has a few picks:
http://us.nextdirect.com/en/sh.....e-300

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
I like the vest look, dressy but not restricted to a suit, especially for your younger boy. next has a few picks:
http://us.nextdirect.com/en/sh.....e-300

Was definitely not referring to that kind of vest, rather a sleeveless sweater...like this one, at Sears

Sears

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 2:07 pm
Zaq's post was ridiculous. Op asked for opinions and we gave our input. Nothing wrong w suggesting a suit or accessories that we've used ourselves and were happy with. That's usually what people want to hear when they ask for people's opinions. She can choose which of the options make the most sense for her.

5*Mom

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:

I'm not sure why I feel the need to defend myself for something so silly but any "panicky OMG" moments is of your own making and biases. I assure you, no hysterical theatrics over here. Maybe you felt that way because I asked more than one question at a time in my pp??

I guess I would just like people to realize that there is someone sitting behind the computer screen. I wouldn't talk that way to someone in real life and was taken aback to be spoken to like that without any real provocation.

Great post!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics