Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
So Trump is dirt in Hollywood, and Affleck got Best Actor?
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 7:43 pm
Casey Affleck’s Oscar Win Confirms Harassment Allegations Aren’t Disqualifying

In 2010, Casey Affleck was accused of viciously s-xually harassing producer Amanda White and cinematographer Magdalena Gorka, two women who worked with him on the mockumentary film “I’m Still Here.” A mere seven years (and nary a black mark on his career) later, he stood on one of the most venerated stages in the world in front of hundreds, televised to millions, and accepted the Oscar for Best Actor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.....3abc1

There is nothing Hollywood likes more than a breakthrough underdog and that is why the academy was all too keen to bestow Casey Affleck with the Oscar for Best Actor for his widely lauded role in Manchester By The Sea. Affleck lives up to all the usual runner-up tropes: not only has he been overshadowed by his megastar big brother Ben, he also has something of the tortured misunderstood artist about him.

But not everyone is best pleased about Affleck’s Academy Award win. This is because the 41-year-old actor, who was widely tipped to take home the award, faced two s-xual harassment allegations in 2010.

Affleck has faced fresh scrutiny over the historical s-xual harassment allegations since he has moved ever further into the limelight for his portrayal of a grief-stricken divorcee father.

Producer Amanda White and cinematographer Magdalena Gorka sued for $2m and $2.25m respectively over alleged offences during the filming of the mockumentary I'm Still Here which stars Joaquin Phoenix.

In the original allegations, Ms White alleged that Affleck referred to women as "cows", groped her when she rejected his s-xual advances and instructed a camera operator to flash his genitals at her on several occasions. Ms Gorka claimed she was confronted with a "near daily barrage of s-xual comments, innuendo and unwelcome advances" from fellow crew members who were encouraged by Affleck.

Affleck has repeatedly and vehemently denied the allegations and settled both claims out of court in 2010. While actual details of the deal remain secret, Ms Gorka and Ms White’s complaints continue to be online on the public record.

http://www.independent.co.uk/a......html

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 7:57 pm
Who is this Afleck guy? Did he run for president and I missed something?

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:02 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Who is this Afleck guy? Did he run for president and I missed something?

No, but Best Actor is a world wide honor.

Would you be ok with giving Bill Cosby Best Actor? Hes very talented (at lots of things , like drugging women).

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:05 pm
I don't pay attention to Hollywood.

Enjoy, it seems to matter to you.

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:07 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

Right, no big deal, only 32.9 million viewers this year.

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:14 pm
I'm still boycotting the Academy Awards ever since they snubbed Bob Fosse by not recognizing 1983's Star 80.

Not like I'm holding a grudge or anything . . . Smile

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:20 pm
Considering that our frightful leader has done similar things as owner of the Miss America pageant, why are you surprised?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:24 pm
Fox wrote:
I'm still boycotting the Academy Awards ever since they snubbed Bob Fosse by not recognizing 1983's Star 80.

We get that your over 50... Smile

You dont have to keep advertising...

Someone who is also in her 50s

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:24 pm
I dont follow this stuff . But have been under the impression that Trump fits right in at Hollywood but doesn't belong in the White house.

Last edited by Simple1 on Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
We get that your over 50... Smile

You dont have to keep advertising...

Someone who is also in her 50s

Come on Rolling Laughter

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:35 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I dont follow this stuff . But have been under the impression that Trump fits right in at Hollywood but doesn't belong in the White house.

JFK was no Tzadik around women.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 9:48 pm
Fox wrote:

Good for you! One day they'll right this historic wrong! Don't give up!

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 9:50 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Good for you! One day they'll right this historic wrong! Don't give up!

No, no . . . I done got told upthread. I'm gonna go back to watching baby bat videos.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 10:13 pm
Please, is anyone moral in Hollywood? Is s-xual harassment worse than having affairs (everyone in the room)?

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
Is s-xual harassment worse than having affairs (everyone in the room)?

Y E S especially because none are claiming to keep Halacha!

Harassment is not consensual!

Last edited by Mevater on Mon, Feb 27 2017, 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

WhatFor

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 10:32 pm
Not surprising. The people who vote for Oscar winners are almost exclusively white men:

Quote:
According to a 2014 survey conducted by The Los Angeles Times, Oscar voters were on average 63 years old. 76% of them are men, and 94% of them are white

http://www.digitalspy.com/movi.....cars/

princessleah

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 10:38 pm
This is an industry that gave an award to a CONVICTED RAPIST who fled the country!
I don't use them as my moral compass.

And I'm pretty sure the Hollywood opposition to Trump has more to do with liberal ideologies than their objection to his s3xual history

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 11:19 pm
princessleah wrote:
This is an industry that gave an award to a CONVICTED RAPIST who fled the country!
I don't use them as my moral compass.

And I'm pretty sure the Hollywood opposition to Trump has more to do with liberal ideologies than their objection to his s3xual history

Amazing, theyre into all kinds of causes, humanitarian and other, from A to Z and yet award those who abuse others.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:56 am
amother wrote:
Please, is anyone moral in Hollywood? Is s-xual harassment worse than having affairs (everyone in the room)?

I think we expect - or at least hope for - more of our presidents than the artsy types. Aren't the latter known degenerates?
OK, that last bit was a bit tongue in cheek but my point stands.

OTOH, I think that on its own, leaving the president aside, it doesn't say much of society that the Academy can overlook such behavior in the name of art. Substitute any field of endeavor for "Academy" and "art". (Princess Leah, I was thinking of that too. And that was years ago.)

Dandelion1

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:36 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

It's just that Hollywood presents itself as so overwhelmingly leftist liberal, constantly screaming about this abuse or that.

I agree with you, I've often thought to myself "shut up, who cares what you think just because you acted in a movie!" But Hollywood actors are heard, and their opinions and causes are widely reported, because they are famous and therefore newsworthy.

So, as usual, the discrepancy and inconsistency is hypocritical.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics