Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
So Trump is dirt in Hollywood, and Affleck got Best Actor?
Previous  1  2

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 10:25 am
Mevater wrote:
Y E S especially because none are claiming to keep Halacha!

Harassment is not consensual!

THIS.

I really don't care who sleeps with whom, so long as both (all?) are of age, consenting, and they're not my husband or my kid.

But harassment is not consensual behavior.

OTOH, I'm a bit more upset that Mel Gibson has apparently been "forgiven" than about Casey Affleck. Although Affleck has certainly been controversial for exactly the reason mentioned. I guess the question is, if Affleck really was "best actor" (I didn't see the movie), should his actions have been disqualifying.

The answer would be different for an elected official vs. an actor.

Ob Mel Gibson, did everyone see that Joshua Malina (whose parents were founding members of the Young Israel of Scarsdale -- who knew?) tweeted his disappointment that his antisemitism has somehow been forgotten, and was subject to vicious responses himself.

treestump

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 10:43 am
I happen to be liberal, but I definitely don't look to Hollywood as a shining beacon of humanity and authenticity.

I'm sure there are some wonderful, genuine and sincere celebrities. There are many philanthropic celebrities in Hollywood and it would be fair to assume that at least some do have altruistic motives rather than doing it to score PR points.

But the industry as a whole - is there to make money, just like every other industry. There's greed, corruption and hypocrisy just like every industry.

What's the difference between Hollywood and the White House?

The difference is that if there are immature, volatile and narcissistic actors, that doesn't threaten global stability and human rights on a national and international scale.

Trump himself is a celebrity and has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. He didn't get trashed before he became president, because he wasn't a national and international threat.

But now he is the leader of the free world, and he is a threat.

When I oppose Trump, it has nothing to do with being a liberal or conservative. I would have happily accepted Rubio as president, very unhappily accepted Cruz as president, but yes, still accepted him as a smart, experienced person for the position, etc.

I don't oppose Trump because he's a Republican. Heck, he was a liberal for years before he decided to dive into politics.

I oppose him because I am genuinely scared that he will use his power in an unconstitutional way that threatens our democracy, and relative stability in entire regions.

So yes, Hollywood may be hypocritical, but they don't have the power to damage the world the way Trump does.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics