Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you think I should consider lastik eye surgery?
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 8:13 pm
My eye number is close to 6 on both eyes. I am in my 20s. Do you think I should consider lastik eye surgery? Do you think it could be dangerous?

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 9:04 pm
I think you should ask these questions to a medical professional, not a group of anonymous women online.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 9:05 pm
I had it about five years ago, but only because I developed a condition that made it impossible to wear contact lenses. My eyesight (over 9 in both eyes) was so poor that when I wore glasses, I had almost no peripheral vision and couldn't drive.

I wouldn't do surgery on my eyes if I could have functioned without it.

It's amazing to be able to see from the moment I wake up in the morning. Like so many LASIK customers, I now know what time it is when I wake up. I used to not be able to see the numbers on the clock on my night table.

It's liberating not to deal with lenses and solution anymore, but I wouldn't subject myself to the expense and potential danger just for that.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 9:55 pm
My 20 year old friend did it. I found out when I asked her why she was wearing sunglasses (which is not the norm in my community.) she thinks it was one of the best decisions she ever made. (this was a year later), she figured the cost of surgery was better than paying for contacts and solution for the rest of her life.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 10:25 pm
no no no if my first reaction. My husband did the surgery here in Israel by supposedly a good doctor but less than two years later he needs glasses to see again. His eyes were very bad but given he needs glasses anyway he really regret getting it and it was not cheap.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 10:32 pm
No. I was going to do it, then found out from a coworker that it doesn't last forever- less than 10 years for my coworker and their friends.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 1:02 am
The doctor in my community who is the local LASIK surgery expert has himself not had the surgery done because he feels it is too risky. Looking at his glasses I would say he is about a -7. So that was enough for me to decide not to do it. I have since needed both cataract and laser surgery so I am extremely glad that I didn't also have the LASIK. Every time you operate it increases the risk.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 1:31 am
If you're going to do it, definitely do it in your 20s. You will likely eventually undergo normal aging and need glasses again in middle age, so you get the most benefit from it the younger you are. I did it at 19 (also was a +6) and it's been almost 11 years and it's still great, I'm very happy I did it.

clowny

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:44 am
I did it and I'm so happy I did it. The best investment ever! A few family members of mine did it and they are happy too. Highly recommend.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:13 am
amother wrote:
I had it about five years ago, but only because I developed a condition that made it impossible to wear contact lenses. My eyesight (over 9 in both eyes) was so poor that when I wore glasses, I had almost no peripheral vision and couldn't drive.

I wouldn't do surgery on my eyes if I could have functioned without it.

It's amazing to be able to see from the moment I wake up in the morning. Like so many LASIK customers, I now know what time it is when I wake up. I used to not be able to see the numbers on the clock on my night table.

It's liberating not to deal with lenses and solution anymore, but I wouldn't subject myself to the expense and potential danger just for that.

My eyesight is worse than yours was and I also can't drive in my glasses, but b"H I can still wear my lenses. LASIK scares me. I haven't been for a consultation in many years, but the last time I went the doctor said I'd still need to wear glasses (due to high prescription, 10+ and 13+, and astigmatism). I'd love to do it anyway but I'm afraid of the side effects and potential risks. I am terrified to mess around with my eyes.

Did you have any significant side effects?

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:17 am
amother wrote:
My 20 year old friend did it. I found out when I asked her why she was wearing sunglasses (which is not the norm in my community.) she thinks it was one of the best decisions she ever made. (this was a year later), she figured the cost of surgery was better than paying for contacts and solution for the rest of her life.

It is not for the rest of her life. All of the people who I know who had LASIK more than 10 years ago now see halos and have to go back in for a touch up - and pay full price again. It buys you 15ish years maybe. Even with todays technology its not permanent. And eyes will continue to age. Most people will need reading glasses later on in life regardless.

Having said that, if I had $5000 that I wasn't using it have it in a heartbeat.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:23 am
Get a second opinion. I wanted to get lasik but my eye doctor told me that with dry eyes a side effect is blurred vision and halos.

Water Stones

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:37 am
My dh had lasik when he was 21. He's 25 now and can see perfect. No glasses or contacts anymore, he's very happy. He went to dr Della Russo in New Jersey.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:40 am
My mother did it in her 60s. She had over -13 in each eye and also cateracs. When they were fixing the cateracs they just added in the lasik as well. She was never able to see past about a half a block, even with contacts. She also wore reading glasses. She could not read street signs. Without glasses she could not see a thing past about four inches from her face. She now has perfect eyesight, no need for reading glasses either. She wishes she did this when she was 20! The change in quality of life is dramatic

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
My mother did it in her 60s. She had over -13 in each eye and also cateracs. When they were fixing the cateracs they just added in the lasik as well. She was never able to see past about a half a block, even with contacts. She also wore reading glasses. She could not read street signs. Without glasses she could not see a thing past about four inches from her face. She now has perfect eyesight, no need for reading glasses either. She wishes she did this when she was 20! The change in quality of life is dramatic

Tor post is confusing to me. If your mother had cataract surgery they would have replaced the natural lens in her eyes with artificial plastic lenses. They would probably have had an unadjustable fixed correction. (there are some very very new lenses that can be inserted that allow for a certain amount of accommodation, but they are not yet in widespread use). This would remove the need for LASIK and also mean that she would still need glasses sometimes (eg for reading), unless they corrected each eye differently so that she has one for reading and one for distance.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:17 pm
Babypink and magenta, you write that your prescription was plus. Are you really farsighted, or did you actually mean minus (nearsighted )?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
Babypink and magenta, you write that your prescription was plus. Are you really farsighted, or did you actually mean minus (nearsighted )?

Yes, I was "farsighted". Not that that really meant anything. When you can't see 3 inches in front of you, you can't really see far either. I never got why they called it farsighted, I couldn't see near or far!

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
Tor post is confusing to me. If your mother had cataract surgery they would have replaced the natural lens in her eyes with artificial plastic lenses. They would probably have had an unadjustable fixed correction. (there are some very very new lenses that can be inserted that allow for a certain amount of accommodation, but they are not yet in widespread use). This would remove the need for LASIK and also mean that she would still need glasses sometimes (eg for reading), unless they corrected each eye differently so that she has one for reading and one for distance.

Sorry for the confusing post. Yes, she did one eye for reading and one for distance. I do not know the details of what they did, I just know they fixed her cataracts and vision and does not use any glasses anymore. This was done last year, so yes, it could be the "very very new"

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:27 pm
I know many people that did it in their twenties . All say that it was the best decision ever.
I went for a consultation and the doctor was very clear about the fact that it's NOT permanent.
I went a few years ago when I was in my twenties and he said it'll last for about twenty years.

MrsEsther

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:12 pm
It was the best thing I did 😀 I was 22 when I had the surgery with dr Dellorusso and he was Amazing!! Bh I have my eye sight back without glasses and contacts
Recommend it!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics