Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What does your 10yr old son do after school
1  2  Next

mommy100

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:21 pm
Question says it all. My son gets home at 5:15 by six he is asking me what he can do he is bored!!!

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:32 pm
I find it sad that so many of our kids have such long school hours that they have lost the art of being creative with their own time. 515 is very late for a 10yo to come home except for chassidish and yeshivish schools. The greatest creativity on this planet has come from people who were not over timetabled but rather had time to just be and just think. There are so many many things to do I this beautiful world. Feed the ducks. Plant a tree. Bake cookies. Paint. Sing. Learn an instrument. Visit a person who is on their own.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:44 pm
Video games Sad , hopefully that will change as it gets warmer and stays lighter later!

yksraya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:44 pm
10 yr old ds also gets home after 5. He uses the time to do anything creative he likes, he cuts papers, glues, makes boxes out of cardboard etc. He draws, builds stuff out of popsticks and glue, and so on.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:46 pm
More ideas -

Play with friends
Gardening
Visiting grandparents
See cousins
Martial Arts
Soccer
Tennis
Computer programming
Learning to cook
Bike riding
Music practice
Practice leining
Memorise Mishnah
Take photos
Write stories
Reading
Roller skating
Chess
Scrabble

Plus a whole lot more

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:49 pm
amother wrote:
I feel very very sad for ops kid, and all our kids, who have become so programmed and timetabled that after being on the planet for just 10 years they have so lost their sense of self that they have no idea how to occupy their time . Not your fault op, or his. But just the whole stupid system.

[Identified as Author of the Why why why thread.

WOW, that's nasty.

Last edited by SixOfWands on Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

greengrapes

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
What a tragedy.

My kids are home by 3.45 there is plenty to do. Not enough time for it all.

He's only 10 and he has become such a robot he doesn't know what to do with himself.

So sad.

Signed

Author of the Why why why thread.

Very very nast. Op my son walks in the door at 5 30 n 20 seconds later( as long as it takes to shrug off a coat) hes saying hes bored. My son has adhd. This is very typical for a child with adhd

jewish613

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:03 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
WOW, that's nasty.

greengrapes wrote:
Very very nast.

She already apologized and offered helpful suggestions.

Amother papaya, maybe you want to consider editing your post.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:30 pm
Story CDs, like Purim story, etc, books to read playing with friends

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:32 pm
My family is a regular chasidish family. I would send my son to martial arts or art or basketball. If he's up to it after sitting in class from 9:30-5.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 5:41 pm
No point in editing because it has been quoted everywhere.

Why nasty? Not meant as nasty. I feel very very sad for ops kid, and all our kids, who have become so programmed and timetabled that after being on the planet for just 10 years they have so lost their sense of self that they have no idea how to occupy their time . Not your fault op, or his. But just the whole stupid system.

I'm sorry op that I hurt your feelings.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:02 pm
my kids get home a little after 5:30. we usually have supper right away, sit down and discuss our day. then it's homework time for my big ones, bath time for the youngest. homework often takes a long time, so by the time we finish with that, and have showers, there's very little time until bedtime. things he likes to do when there is time: draw, read, play video games, create his own board games. when it's nice out, I try to encourage outdoor play and make supper later. outdoor play includes riding bikes/scooters, playing on a swing/monkey bar set in our backyard, or tetherball in the backyard. if he finds someone to play with other than his little sister, he likes baseball and basketball too.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:12 pm
My kid gets together sometimes with a few friends and they play board games like monopoly or chess. I also know boys who cook or bake. Otherwise, in the winter there are movies, computer games and nintendo :-( and in the summer biking, swimming or any other sport. And just as a side point, all boys I know that age complain of boredom as soon as they get home-

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:21 pm
Don't they have homework?

jewish613

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
No point in editing because it has been quoted everywhere.

Why nasty? Not meant as nasty. I feel very very sad for ops kid, and all our kids, who have become so programmed and timetabled that after being on the planet for just 10 years they have so lost their sense of self that they have no idea how to occupy their time . Not your fault op, or his. But just the whole stupid system.

I'm sorry op that I hurt your feelings.

You're right that it will still be quoted in the thread, but right now it's the first response and it may continue to evoke negative feelings and replies.

I happen to agree with your premise, but as you said yourself, a thread about a mom who's currently struggling with her 10 year old may not be the best place to educate others and promote change. Or if you would like to offer your perspective, it may be given more serious thought if it was presented more gently, so people don't respond as defensively.

But of course it's your post so you're welcome to do with it what you wish Wink

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:32 pm
Ok. I edited. Let's see if others can do the same.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:19 pm
Honestly drives me looney.

He can play with legos and other games, he has books to read but apparently its best to be bored and drive your mamma looney!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
Honestly drives me looney.

He can play with legos and other games, he has books to read but apparently its best to be bored and drive your mamma looney!

Bored children always got a chore assigned. You will be amazed how quickly they learn to entertain themselves, or not. Some may actually like doing chores and being proud of their work.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
Ok. I edited. Let's see if others can do the same.

Sure. I substituted another of your nasty comments instead.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:48 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Sure. I substituted another of your nasty comments instead.

The internets are forever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children