Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What does your 10yr old son do after school
Previous  1  2

yksraya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:50 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Bored children always got a chore assigned. You will be amazed how quickly they learn to entertain themselves, or not. Some may actually like doing chores and being proud of their work.

Lol! I have one sil who does this! Everytime a kid kvetches "what should I do now" she quickly gives a chore. Magically she no longer had bored kids...

I try that sometimes, or I just say "find what to do". They have enough what to do if they want.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:05 pm
Who is nasty? Me or sixofwands?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:14 pm
Chasidish mama again. I prefer my son go to sports then to play gameboy. (Don't get me wrong I let my kiddos play with electronic games too)

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:19 pm
My boy 12 eats, does homework, play with his lego. Bath and bed. Comes home after 5. On school nights,they are not allowed movie or computer. They fall asleep better that way, my kid use to go to school and fall asleep during class. Principle called us in and told us about it. We had no idea. Then on no more anything.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:34 pm
Baking - my son makes brownies, potato kugel (he likes grating it by hand because of all the compliments he gets Wink ), parsha related dessert. I find it best to get out of the kitchen and let him do his thing. Most times it works out, and if I'm in the room I tend to criticize.

Sports, bikes, outside, even in the winter I try to get them outside a minimum of 1 hr. If its dark then just in our backyard - basketball or game of football or catch. When it is lighter getting together with friends for a game in a yard. Riding his bike around the block.

Puzzles - but has to be a really good puzzle and have to have puzzle glue in the house as an incentive.

Board Games - Ticket to Ride, Ticket To Catan, Spit, Banagrams, UNO - with siblings or on a special occasion with a parent.

Making Music - my kids can't play or sing - but the neighborhood kids come over and they sing and bang around on some a instruments I acquired second hand for this purpose in the basement - the other kids bring what they have at home. They love it.

Clean up the house. We set a timer and everyone has 10 minutes to clean their area (with a treat of course)

By 8:30 he is in bed.

Last edited by sky on Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

DVOM

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:35 pm
My oldest son is almost nine. We do sometimes get the whiney "I'm bored!" routine, but not often.

Tonight he got home around 4:20. He had a snack while he read a book. He rode his bike for a bit with his brothers. Dinner was around 5:30. We had a lively conversation about our purim costumes (am I the only one who's kids change their minds 100 times before purim???) He did his clean-up job (tonight it was playing with his baby brother so I could empty and wipe down the fridge). He sorted through his legos and decided which ones he would bring to school tomorrow to trade. He and his brothers played a very complex game they've been perfecting which combines jumping on the beds, a Chinese auction (each kid has to put up a prize from thier prize box), and keeping score on the dry erase board. At 7 the little guys went into bed and he sat down to do his homework. He wrote a letter to his pen pal. He read some more and had a bowl of cereal (poor thing barely eats in school). Just did hugs, kisses, and good night I love yous. He'll read probably for another half hour before falling asleep.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:38 pm
Call grandparents or great grandparents - they always love to hear from him, and he gets a listening ear when I'm sometimes not so available.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 10:47 pm
Op here
Thanks for all the ideas. As we are chassidush I do not allow any computer or handheld games. It gets dark quite early and we do not have a yard so I don't allow him outside in the winter after school. He is the oldest and has a six year gap between him and the next child at home. He does not like reading, past the lego stage and does not get homework usually. I think I will try to get him in the kitchen to bake maybe and see how that goes.

self-actualization

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:29 am
Chores are great. My kids sort laundry, wash dishes, cut up salads, mix ingredients for baking, polish silver, tidy up rooms, mop the floor, etc. Mainly on Friday and Sunday because I am not around the other days. Some times they get a reward, other times hard work is its own best reward.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
Op here
Thanks for all the ideas. As we are chassidush I do not allow any computer or handheld games. It gets dark quite early and we do not have a yard so I don't allow him outside in the winter after school. He is the oldest and has a six year gap between him and the next child at home. He does not like reading, past the lego stage and does not get homework usually. I think I will try to get him in the kitchen to bake maybe and see how that goes.

Op of course he's bored. Can you sign him up for lessons in something?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children