Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Am I a bad mother?
1  2  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:32 pm
Sometimes I fall asleep on the couch for 1 hour. There is always an adult at home then, my dh or my cleaner. Am I doing damage to my kids when they see me out?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
Sometimes I fall asleep on the couch for 1 hour. There is always an adult at home then, my dh or my cleaner. Am I doing damage to my kids when they see me out?

Only if there is an empty fifth of scotch in your hand. LOL

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:36 pm
Lol, no theres not. Im on meds for depression and anxiety which make me tired.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
Lol, no theres not. Im on meds for depression and anxiety which make me tired.

So nap, the kids have an adult present. Heck it may help them cooperate with their own naps (if they are still young enough to nap).

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:49 pm
tired mothers nap ... you're not a bad mother - nor should you feel guilty for taking medicine that makes you tired

a good mother takes care of herself so she can take care of her children ... think of an airplane where they tell you to put an oxygen mask on yourself before you can assist your children or those in need

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:51 pm
My kids are 7-12

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:52 pm
I guess I've been watching too much law and order suv. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 7:59 pm
I think it's great for kids to see your human-ness

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
I guess I've been watching too much law and order suv. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Why what happens on law and order?

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:07 pm
I would even leave kids ages 7-12 alone without an awake adult while I napped (of course telling them to wake me if there's an emergency).
Nap on!

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
Why what happens on law and order?

Its a show were cops investigate rape, murder, child neglect. The last one I watched was about child neglect. Its all fictional

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:23 pm
My sil single has said that if social services would come in they would take my kids away cause my house is a bit messy. My bil also single has said the same thing. Idiots.

zohar

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
My sil single has said that if social services would come in they would take my kids away cause my house is a bit messy. My bil also single has said the same thing. Idiots.

So are they offering to pay for extra cleaning help.?🙄 If they/you are worried about the impression it makes that you are conked out on the couch, why not go to your bedroom.b that way you'll have a better nap. Children ages 7-12 are fully able to take care of themselves without constant supervision and you say there is another adult in the home, so even more so.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 8:57 pm
op- people leave their kids that age home alone without any adult sleeping or awake! I don't even think it's a question at all. I'm sorry that you are having a hard time Sad

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:03 pm
I was gonna post s/t similar.....

Me and dh are both pretty deep sleepers. Will wake up if alarm in ear or kid screaming in ear, but not from regular "kid awake" noises.. But my kids (young) are up befor me, and one will take the 2yr old out of crib. So they are up in morning unsupervised........

If I wake up with the kids in the morning, I will be a zombie all day and then crash on couch in the middle of the day.... so not really helping with keeping kids supervised. Cannot afford babysitter. DH cannot wake up earlier for other reasons (He is an equal paernt in all ways but can't get up earlier). Can't go to sleep myself earlier because I work at night.

Bad mother guilt embarrassed

I pray all the time that nobody call cps on me.

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:23 pm
I've fallen asleep numerous times on the couch, I cant say I slept too well my kids are younger and would play around me or on me lol but I've even left my kids playing while while my toddler and myself napped in bed. I don't think its neglect just the opposite its sometimes a necessity. Although kids do need to know to stay safe and in case of emergency to wake you ASAP. The rule in my house is no opening doors without permission ever, and when I leave the kids to play alone while I nap its with specific instructions... You don't even have to feel guilty for taking meds either, as a mother you do what you gotta do to care for your kids in the best possible way.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:35 pm
amother wrote:
My kids are 7-12

In most places legally. Your 12yr old can stay home and watch your other kids without an adult in the house.

lucky14

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 9:39 pm
you can keep enjoying your naps.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 10:19 pm
I am baffled by your question.🤔

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 2:43 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I am baffled by your question.🤔

What don't you understand?