Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Ok to bring my 4 yr old?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:04 pm
A special needs organization is making a carnival. We were invited since my older dd needs a lot of therapy although b'h shes able to attend a mainstream school and ect... I know there will be a nice amount of kids there with major special needs.

I'm undecided of I should bring ds who just turned 4 yr old
pros -
It will give him something fun to do
On his level I can teach him about being accepting of everyone, about how everyone has different abilities and ect...

Cons
Will it be scary for him? It not like just meeting one special needs kid, there will be alot of kids there, and some in wheelchairs, some not so aware of their surroundings and ect...

What do you think?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:08 pm
From my experience, little kids don't see this as scary. They're just curious & have a lot of questions.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:33 pm
I work with special needs and have brought my four year old to a classroom of students with major physical disabilities. She looked shocked so I let her do her own thing while I was working but I used the opportunity afterwards to teach her about being thankful for everything we have.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:36 pm
I would definitely take!
Just explain to him ahead of time that some kids need help getting around in wheelchairs etc.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:37 pm
Btw, r u referring to the Tafkid carnival?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 6:38 pm
Do you have someone (family member, friend) who'd be available to pick him up and bring him home if it seems to not be handling it too well?
Personally I think it's a great "teaching" opportunity and I'd bring my child, but some are more sensitive then others.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 2:02 pm
My dd age 4 has a very mild genetic disorder which affects her physically - you wouldn't notice unless you really watched her closely. But we are often at events for kids with developmental delays, disabilities, etc.

My daughter is sometimes a little afraid. But I think that's exactly why I expose her. It's good for kids to learn that people are different, and 4 years old is old enough to understand these things.

I will never forget when my daughter was with some kids with down's syndrome, and she was a little afraid because they talked loudly and unclearly. And the girl with down's syndrome turned to my daughter and told to her that she had down's syndrome and that's why she talks that way, and went back to playing. It was such an amazing moment - that the kids educate each other.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers