Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Musical genes: Are your kids tone deaf?
Previous  1  2  3

Are all your kids tone-deaf?
My husband and I are both tone-deaf  
 13%  [ 11 ]
My husband and I are both musical  
 30%  [ 25 ]
I am tone deaf and my husband is musical  
 33%  [ 27 ]
I am musical and my husband is tone-deaf  
 22%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 81

Volunteer

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 10:33 pm
Imasinger, your posts are fascinating.

I was adopted. My biological mother is a professional singer. She is a sub- alto or female tenor. From hearing her sing, it seems as though my voice is similar to hers, although of course her technique is honed.

I like singing, and I have never learned to play an instrument. Instead, I used my musicality for dance. In ballet, it's very important to always be "on the music." When I hear music that inspires me, I just need to dance to fully experience it.

pause

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 10:40 pm
chicco wrote:
http://genetics.thetech.org/ask-a-geneticist/tone-deaf-genetics

I recently discovered this and found it fascinating. Apparently tone deafness is a genetically dominant trait, however it only accounts for 71-80% of a person's musical inclination. That suggests that environment can affect the remaining 20-29%.

I also discovered that having 6 fingers on a hand is a dominant trait as well!! Which totally creeped me out until I realized it is dominant and not common, which means you only have to worry if you carry the gene.

Totally OT, but you can't carry the 6 finger gene without having 6 fingers; that's what dominant means. So the only people who have to worry are those who have/had 6 fingers, they might be passing it on to their children.

eschaya

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 10:52 pm
I am musical and my husband in completely tone deaf. All our kids so far are tone deaf. Dh is of the unteachable form... he has no rhythm either, and music actually is disturbing to him (as a kid he would make his mother turn off music cds in the car because it jarred him so much). Interestingly, though my kids take after him in being tone deaf, they do appreciate music, and 2 of them are actually decent piano players. So they've got some of my musicality. They also like to sing, and loudly so, which is a problem for those around them...

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:17 pm
I believe you're confusing tone deaf with unable to carry a tune. If you can play an instrument, you're obviously not tone deaf . You simply can't sing. The term should be, perhaps, "tone mute", meaning that you cannot produce different pitches with your vocal apparatus. Your children can obviously distinguish different pitches if they're playing musical instruments or listening to music, unlike your genuinely tone deaf husband, to whom music is unpleasant noise.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics