Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
House by Avenue S Brooklyn sold for $11 million
1  2  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 11:02 pm
https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

Welcome to Brooklyn!

Banging head

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 28 2017, 11:21 pm
http://nypost.com/2017/02/23/r.....ouse/

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 7:44 am
I don't understand the need for Banging head someone over this. What's the big deal? It's not like it's normal for houses to go for this much. Who cares what he paid?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 8:21 am
Wow. Very interesting. I wonder why he did it. Some theories:

1) he wanted to give the owners of the house money because of some past occurrence but they wouldn't take it unless he "bought" their house
2) he has some emotional connection to the house for whatever reason, maybe he went there a lot when he was growing up
3) he discovered a break in the time-space continuum in the living room ceiling and wanted dibs

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 8:52 am
This is located in an extremely small section dead center of the Syrian Jewish community. The real estate there sells based on tear down value of the land and is equivalent to prices in the most expensive areas of Beverly Hills or Oark Avenue.

As we know, this community has some people of incredible wealth and they want to live within what is a very very small area close to the temple and the Sephardic CC. Other houses within these few blocks are actually commensurate with this price.

I had seen a girl on Say Yes To The Dress reject A $30,000 custom wedding gown and order a slightly different style under the approving eye of her father. Out of curiousity, I googled and they were part of the Gindi family which founded the Centiry 21 department store and now collectively owns billions in real estate. Other mega wealthy members of this community include the founders of Jordache Jeans who similarly branched into real estate and own a block in Miami including the Versace mansion.

Like many Jews, they will pay any price to live within a very small geographic area to be within the most desirable area of their community as they don't want to live on Park Avenue or Greenwich Connecticut although they could afford to. So they can and do pay these prices to stay within the community. The article below is fascinating. Eleven million. dollars is really a small amount for these people compared to their immense wealth. These are houses in the super primo, super desirable heart of the community and there is no way to manufacture more land within these geographic confines.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06......html

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:00 pm
Good for him!

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:15 pm
I wanted to add that it's really all relative. My childhood home sold for over a million dollars and it AND the home next door which was bought for the same amount was demolished and a Jewish McMansion built in their place. So one very large house now is situated where two homes used to be - and those were modest two family Brooklyn homes from the 1920's :-)

Again, the only reason this was done was because the land itself was in an extremely desirable area and people were wealthy enough to be able to spend a huge amount to live exactly where they wanted to be since the desirable section for them is small.

Obviously the block I grew up on is not as desirable as Avenue S but it is in a very desirable Brooklyn frum community where the land values are what is important and the houses themselves aren't such that they are suitable for the kinds of people who can now afford to live there.

In my childhood, it was still a neighborhood of relatively modest middle class type of people - teachers, civil service workers, owners of small modest businesses. The corner homes were owned by lawyers and doctors :-)

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:33 pm
Is it the house in the center or the bigger one on the left?

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:59 pm
either one of those houses shouldnt be 11 million! what a craziness. I cant even...I have no words. now you say the word that fits in.

manhattan I understand it is expensive. but this?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 4:00 pm
Mevater wrote:
Is it the house in the center or the bigger one on the left?

Omg I know this block and I can't believe one of these houses got sold for this price!

Insane.

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 4:00 pm
if you look good at the map its the middle house.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 5:34 pm
$11,360,000 ~ 1993 East 5th Street

and I'm guessing he has the monies to renovate as well & could easily own a couple of dozen houses for the same price

it really doesn't change my life

ectomorph

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 5:58 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Wow. Very interesting. I wonder why he did it. Some theories:

1) he wanted to give the owners of the house money because of some past occurrence but they wouldn't take it unless he "bought" their house
2) he has some emotional connection to the house for whatever reason, maybe he went there a lot when he was growing up
3) he discovered a break in the time-space continuum in the living room ceiling and wanted dibs
definitely#3

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 7:23 pm
Hellooooooooo, people in that category of wealth spend millions on gems, vacations ,etc.

At least a house you can live in, and enjoy longer.

My question is, if the house in the center thats smaller than the house that we see on the left costs that much, whats the price of the house on the left?

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 8:03 pm
And btw the Brooklyn house is for poor folks.

Heres a 57,000,000 house for sale. Its the triplex on top of the Pierre.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f.....9_zm/

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 8:11 pm
Mevater wrote:

My question is, if the house in the center thats smaller than the house that we see on the left costs that much, whats the price of the house on the left?

I think that building looks more like a shul or something ...

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 8:50 pm
greenfire wrote:
I think that building looks more like a shul or something ...

I wonder. Not too many people would pay 11 million for a house next door to a Shul.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:39 am
The building on the left is a home, not a shul.
And the price, well as they say "Location, Location, Location" The block behind is known as "millionaire's row" Most houses torn and and are rebuilt mansions.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:25 pm
Mevater wrote:
I wonder. Not too many people would pay 11 million for a house next door to a Shul.

gotcha - unless they owned the shul too lol

Mevater

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:52 pm
Im wondering if the house will either be thrown down or totally gutted to make room for something spectacular.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics