Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Hey Jackson Amothers!!
1  2  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:03 am
Why are they making a big deal about the dorms? Noone wants dorms in Jackson- when we get to shuls and eruv's then we will fight them.
This is looking ridiculous to fight over something that everyone agrees will bring the quality of life down! I lived in an area in Lakewood with a boys dorm nearby and the boys would would just wander around our development at all hours. It was annoying and uncomfortable. I just don't understand why someone would move to a more rural area and then want to bring the worst of Lakewood with them?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:43 am
I do t know why people (other than school owners) care about the ban on dorms, but I'd like To comment on the cavalier way you said "when we get to Shuls and eiruv then we will fight them."
First off, the law is on their side.
Second, good luck fighting. Look what happened to Oros Bais Yaakov when they fought.
Third, you phrased it with such disrespect. Us against them. No wonder they're nervous about an influx of Jews!

sky

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 12:07 pm
dorms hosting Jewish boys is the "worst of Lakewood"?????!!!!!

When people complain they can't get their kids into schools because there aren't enough and the Jackson Jews don't want schools in their backyard I hope the Jackson Jews who don't want Jewish schools near them aren't the ones fighting to get in.

Perhaps Lakewood should make a rule only those living in Lakewood proper can send to Lakewood schools. We don't want those who think Jewish schools are the worst of Lakewood sending those very same schools.

Do Jewish boys learning in yeshiva really make you uncomfortable.

In the city I grew up in a small cheder tried buying land to build a school. The neighbors fought it - they didn't want Jewish kids wander through their neighborhood (that is what this sounds like). A large inner city public high school was built instead - and they bussed in kids from across town. It was not Jewish kids wandering through town but gangs and the amount of cars stolen and homes broken into sky rocketed.
The home prices plummeted. Had they allowed the Jewish school in I guarantee you that house prices would have climbed instead. (frum Jews moved in anyways, but that is becuase the prices of homes were a joke)

L K

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:02 pm
Sky, don't ban us from attending lakewood schools puhleeze! We'll behave. I'm hoping op just didn't express her thoughts on zoning clearly.

I would imagine the fear is of dorms on regular blocks eventually turning streets into the likes of cross street that used to be empty but is now a parking lot during rush hour.

Last edited by L K on Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

L K

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:06 pm
Sky's post reminded me of a funny point. '(Some) local residents have been opposing Jews moving in, yet we did and now their houses are all of a sudden worth good 50-100k more than they used to.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:11 pm
Doesn't anyone see a problem with a dorm in a residential area? Couldn't that lead to lots of noise, litter etc?

I don't understand why it's a problem in an industrial area, but pretending it's not going to bother anyone in a residential area is sticking your head in the sand.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 1:12 pm
L K wrote:
Sky, don't ban us from attending lakewood schools puhleeze! We'll behave. I'm hoping op just didn't express her thoughts on zoning clearly.

I would imagine the fear is of dorms on regular blocks eventually turning streets into the likes of cross street that used to be empty but is now a parking lot during rush hour.

Of course I wouldn't - but where do people want more schools to be built - on Lakewood residential blocks?

I do agree it could be a pain, but to say not in my backyard - only in your backyard and let me benefit is just wrong The tone of the OP was just horrible in so many ways "worst of Lakewood", "not in my backyard", etc and got me very riled up. Jackson doesn't want certain schools. It was okay to build a school in the backyard of Westgate - but it wasn't a "Jewish school".

Also, why is a shul better then a school? I live next to a shul. The traffic is insane. They block driveways. Come all hours of the day and night. Stay outside to talk at late hours.
At least schools have set hours, parking, predictable staff, bus transportation. Shuls can take over the neighborhood.

doctorima

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 2:51 pm
The latest on this issue:

http://www.vosizneias.com/2635.....ries/

sky

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:10 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Doesn't anyone see a problem with a dorm in a residential area? Couldn't that lead to lots of noise, litter etc?

I don't understand why it's a problem in an industrial area, but pretending it's not going to bother anyone in a residential area is sticking your head in the sand.

Many people don't like schools in industrial areas - it takes away from tax revenue. There is a group of people that get all upset every time a school goes up in a Lakewood industrial area.

Typically schools are near residential areas so kids don't have to travel to far to get to school.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 4:31 pm
L K wrote:

I'm actually thinking of Cross St! I used to live in a development that was right next door to a dorm (in a total residential area) the boys were in the park, middle of the street talking at all hours- the development eventually got the Rosh Yeshiva to tell the boy they were not allowed in the development.
I'm sorry if my first post was worded incorrectly but from speaking to a lot of people in Lakewood, no one wants a dorm on their block even with frum people that's why I'm wondering why we are fighting an ordinance that seems logical.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 5:00 pm
sky wrote:
Many people don't like schools in industrial areas - it takes away from tax revenue. There is a group of people that get all upset every time a school goes up in a Lakewood industrial area.

Typically schools are near residential areas so kids don't have to travel to far to get to school.

But it seems we're not talking about just a school, but rather a school with a dorm. You don't think that's a legitimate concern, having teenaged boys running around your neighborhood?

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 5:06 pm
why cant the dorm make rules. that boys dont go outside past 11? dont these boys have rules in for other things? I dont see why this is an issue. if its done properly. a shul is way worse. you have people coming all hours.

mommish613

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 5:19 pm
It is my understanding that there are currently no specific requests for a dorm in Jackson. The powers that be are trying to enact an ordinance so that a yeshiva or dorm can never be built. The orthodox residents were asked to attend the meeting to show that they will not allow targeted and questionably anti Semitic restrictions to be passed. First it's a dorm ordinance next it will be a succah building restriction....If the tax-paying Jackson residents come forth now and show that they will not stand for it, it is sending a message to them that the town board cannot get away with it. This is America!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:19 am
allthingsblue wrote:
But it seems we're not talking about just a school, but rather a school with a dorm. You don't think that's a legitimate concern, having teenaged boys running around your neighborhood?

Sure it's a concern. And since I don't have any teenage boys - in fact I have only daughters - I think I would endorse such an ordinance. Since I won't be needing their services, why would I want a dorm in my neighborhood?

But for all the other frum residents in Jackson - at least those who have sons - they should consider whether they would ever have need of a yeshiva with a dorm for their sons. If so, where would they expect that to be located? Perhaps on an island in the middle of the Pacific? Or would they expect their sons to be serviced "in someone else's neighborhood"?

BTW - I live within walking distance of the BMG dorm. They walk around my neighborhood, talking on their cellphones - especially right now - the freezer is open! They have never bothered me, and I haven't noticed any excess garbage. So long as it's a well-built, legal type of dorm (not a house converted to a dorm with no proper infrastructure), I don't see the problem.

ETA: My quality of life hasn't been affected, and as to the housing prices - I hope BMG doesn't move out of my neighborhood until I've sold my house.....

GiGichai

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:40 am
Would the town be making the same ordinanaces if it was a secular college dorm? I seem to undersrand that many college dorms are in small towns as well

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:01 am
GiGichai wrote:
Would the town be making the same ordinanaces if it was a secular college dorm? I seem to undersrand that many college dorms are in small towns as well

College dorms are not generally in residential areas. They are situated on the college campuses and therefore don't require any zoning changes.

The Yeshivah dorms are analogous to boarding houses and I don't think most people would want a boarding house in their neighborhood unless it had been zoned for this kind of use. To me, it's essentially a commercial use and has nothing to do with the religion of who is living in it.

There is not any way that life next door to a building housing 59 people is the same as life next door to single family homes.

I think it's reasonable that people have the right to live in the kind of neighborhood they bought into within reason. People choose to live on non commercial single family blocks for a reason.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:03 am
Amarante wrote:
College dorms are not generally in residential areas. They are situated on the college campuses and therefore don't require any zoning changes.

The Yeshivah dorms are analogous to boarding houses and I don't think most people would want a boarding house in their neighborhood unless it had been zoned for this kind of use. To me, it's essentially a commercial use and has nothing to do with the religion of who is living in it.

There is not any way that life next door to a building housing 59 people is the same as life next door to single family homes.

I think it's reasonable that people have the right to live in the kind of neighborhood they bought into within reason. People choose to live on non commercial single family blocks for a reason.

Not the one in Lakewood....it's practically in my backyard, right in the middle of a residential neighborhood. They all go walking right down my block...and the broken beer bottles on the roadside are not from BMG....

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:08 am
Chayalle wrote:
Not the one in Lakewood....it's practically in my backyard, right in the middle of a residential neighborhood. They all go walking right down my block...and the broken beer bottles on the roadside are not from BMG....

Is this a new dorm for a new secular college in Lakewood or was your home built after the dorm was there.

What is the zoning in yiur neighborhood?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:21 am
Amarante wrote:
Is this a new dorm for a new secular college in Lakewood or was your home built after the dorm was there.

What is the zoning in yiur neighborhood?

This is a new series of dorms built for an existing college, many years after my home was already there. The college expanded their dorming options in the last 10 years, went co-ed (they used to be all girls), and greatly increased the traffic and neighborhood population.....They got zoning approval for their expansion.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:34 am
Chayalle wrote:
Sure it's a concern. And since I don't have any teenage boys - in fact I have only daughters - I think I would endorse such an ordinance. Since I won't be needing their services, why would I want a dorm in my neighborhood?

But for all the other frum residents in Jackson - at least those who have sons - they should consider whether they would ever have need of a yeshiva with a dorm for their sons. If so, where would they expect that to be located? Perhaps on an island in the middle of the Pacific? Or would they expect their sons to be serviced "in someone else's neighborhood"?

BTW - I live within walking distance of the BMG dorm. They walk around my neighborhood, talking on their cellphones - especially right now - the freezer is open! They have never bothered me, and I haven't noticed any excess garbage. So long as it's a well-built, legal type of dorm (not a house converted to a dorm with no proper infrastructure), I don't see the problem.

ETA: My quality of life hasn't been affected, and as to the housing prices - I hope BMG doesn't move out of my neighborhood until I've sold my house.....

Truth is, I don't understand the need for a dorm for boys who live in Lakewood and learn in Lakewood. Why can't they stay home and be part of family life, just like your high school daughters are?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating