Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Medical Advice
1  2  Next

sister1

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 4:22 pm
I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'm not sure which direction to head in and would appreciate advice. Obviously, I will do my own research as well.
I have a problem with my thyroid-my level is around 24 instead of 2 and my liver is not functioning at full capacity. This probably makes me sound pretty ill but I function perfectly well as a wife and mother and hold down a full time job.
I suffer from severe itching and body odor, which I am always battling. I went to a top Gastroenterologist but the medication he recommended is known to bring on early Osteoporosis, so I am wary of pursuing that path. I am in the NY area, so I wanted to know if anyone can direct me to a resource/dr that can help. If anyone knows of any homeopathic solutions that worked, I am open to hearing about it!
Thank you!

mamaleah

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 4:38 pm
Which medication?

mamaleah

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 4:40 pm
Also, regardless of what medication he tells you about, I suggest you go see an endocrinologist who is a doctor who specializes in thyroid problems who can give you more information. This is not a Gastro specialty.

esuss

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 5:06 pm
The itching is a symptom of poor liver function and for that you need a good gastroenterologist. Maybe try a different one who may have another recommendation. A good internist may be of help to you as well.

mamaleah

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 5:12 pm
Itching can also be seen in hypothyroidism...

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 6:21 pm
Hormones (thyroid included) are processed in the liver so if your liver is not functioning well, that may be the root of your thyroid problem. Have you looked into gentle, alternative methods of liver cleansing?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 8:11 pm
sister1 wrote:
I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'm not sure which direction to head in and would appreciate advice. Obviously, I will do my own research as well.
I have a problem with my thyroid-my level is around 24 instead of 2 and my liver is not functioning at full capacity. This probably makes me sound pretty ill but I function perfectly well as a wife and mother and hold down a full time job.
I suffer from severe itching and body odor, which I am always battling. I went to a top Gastroenterologist but the medication he recommended is known to bring on early Osteoporosis, so I am wary of pursuing that path. I am in the NY area, so I wanted to know if anyone can direct me to a resource/dr that can help. If anyone knows of any homeopathic solutions that worked, I am open to hearing about it!
Thank you!

Please read some other thyroid threads. I've posted a bit about learning how to manage thyroid disorder. Let's see how far I get here before I have to get off.

1. Always get hard copies of your labs. You have a right to them.
2. The number you mention is probably TSH. It's a useful and important number but not the only number. Make sure you doctor is doing a full thyroid panel, I.e. TSH, T3 and T4 each time, best tested as Free T3 and Free T4.
3. Start researching. Check out Mary Shomon at about.com. Some good books are
The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem
Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon
Thyroid Power by the Shameses.
4. You need a good endocrinologist. Maybe ECHO can help you find one.
5. Yes, your itching may be from thyroid. I know it's a symptom of hypERthryoidism, I've had it myself.

Re liver: Is it really not functioning? Or do you just have numbers that are off? If you are overweight you may have elevated liver numbers due to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I've heard of people talking milk thistle for liver health (anonymrs. may know more) but I've read mixed reviews. Let's focus on empowering you so you can manage your hypothyroidism.
Are you on any thyroid replacement already?

sister1

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 9:09 pm
Thank you for all the info!
I will have to read it thru to process again.
I am pretty sure the thyroid and liver are connected, just not sure which followed which. I'm actually underweight...I don't know if that is better or worse...
I would love to hear of some reliable natural liver cleansers, but it's so hard to get proper info on that.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 9:51 am
sister1 wrote:
Thank you for all the info!
I will have to read it thru to process again.
I am pretty sure the thyroid and liver are connected, just not sure which followed which. I'm actually underweight...I don't know if that is better or worse...
I would love to hear of some reliable natural liver cleansers, but it's so hard to get proper info on that.

What was your diagnosis? What medication are you taking, if any?
I'd assume you were hypO. Now I'm wondering if you started off hyper, were put on anti thyroid drugs, and are on an inappropriately high dose for way too long.

Before you start on liver cleansers, please get answers and clarity as to your primary condition and any treatment your doctor recommends. The doctor treating your thyroid should be an endocrinologist. If you have had irregularities with your liver it's logical that you were then referred to a gastro. A decent gastro will know if your liver issues are due to the thyroid condition or inappropriate dosing. Unless you already had a liver condition. I'll add that to the other questions.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:07 am
You need to see a endocrinologist right now!! You have a extremely high tsh level. I'm sure you're on synthroid. Are you?

sister1

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:09 am
I know I'm going to sound off my rocker, but I have had really bad previous experiences with conventional drs...which is why the situation spiraled out of control a bit. I find that a cleanser called isogenix gets my numbers down, and I've been doing that sporadically. I am ready to say though, that I need more guidance/intervention.
I'm nervous about going on thyroid medication-the decision seems irreversible and not always does it help, regardless. I wanted to try to feel out what the other options were, or if anyone knows of a dr that knows how to get to the bottom of the real issue and not just offer a text book diagnosis.
I am going to read up on the condition, hopefully get more educated...
I still appreciate all advice and feedback!!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:54 pm
sister1 wrote:
I know I'm going to sound off my rocker, but I have had really bad previous experiences with conventional drs...which is why the situation spiraled out of control a bit. I find that a cleanser called isogenix gets my numbers down, and I've been doing that sporadically. I am ready to say though, that I need more guidance/intervention.
I'm nervous about going on thyroid medication-the decision seems irreversible and not always does it help, regardless. I wanted to try to feel out what the other options were, or if anyone knows of a dr that knows how to get to the bottom of the real issue and not just offer a text book diagnosis.
I am going to read up on the condition, hopefully get more educated...
I still appreciate all advice and feedback!!

Again, we're all assuming that you're hypOthyroid. Please confirm.
I've heard that once one starts thyroid replacement one has to stay on it. To me, that doesn't sound terrible. They're very safe. The key is finding a doctor who understands a)not to go by TSH alone and b)some people will need supplemental T3 and how best to administer and monitor it.

OK, before hitting send, I decided to google isogenix. Apparently it's isagenix and it includes a number of products. I do not know which one you're on, don't have time to check out the cleanser and see what ingredients are in it. But these things give me great pause. (Not to mention that the homepage of the site talks about isagenix millionaires. So it's a MLM product to boot.)

Forgive me if I sound patronizing but do you know EXACTLY what is in your product? And how it can impact your thyroid and other medical conditions? Do any of your allopathic doctors endorse this? And if you are dealing with a practitioner who suggested this, I assume you've thoroughly vetted him or her?

sister1

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 8:30 pm
Yes, I was told to take the isagenix by an alternative practitioner - I did check him out and he's helped me with other issues in some of my children but honestly my mother and siblings don't go for him at all and would really like me to see a dr....

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 8:55 pm
I am sure you realize that untreated thyroid and liver issues can be פיקוח נפש!! Letting your health slide is irresponsible and can cause problems a lot more than osteoporosis. Find yourself a natural minded MD who will let you lessen meds once under control or mix homeophathic with conventional medicine but you are playing with your life.

sister1

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:14 pm
Do you know such a dr? I would like to find one.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:20 pm
If you make another post with the name of the country,state, city you live in then I am sure people can give recommendations.
There are many real doctors who are open to natural treatment when it's not dangerous. I personally don't believe in this natural stuff but my inlaws do and I know they go to real MD's.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:53 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
If you make another post with the name of the country,state, city you live in then I am sure people can give recommendations.
There are many real doctors who are open to natural treatment when it's not dangerous. I personally don't believe in this natural stuff but my inlaws do and I know they go to real MD's.

Can u suggest such a Dr in NYC?

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 10:09 pm
No, Sorry, I know doctors in the midwest and some down south (not giving specific cities because under my user name ) but if you are in the OH area you can PM me.

rainbow

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 10:35 pm
sister1 wrote:
my liver is not functioning
I suffer from severe itching and body odor,
If anyone knows of any homeopathic solutions that worked, I am open to hearing about it!
Thank you!

Sounds like kidney weakness. Have you experienced a shock or trauma? Those can weaken kidneys. Take time to de-stress and detox.

sister1

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 9:21 pm
Do you have personal experience with that being kidney weakness?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics