Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Red-cooked Chicken with Shiitakes

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 3:30 pm
This is the Asian version of Chicken In A Pot. If you like Chinese and Asian flavors, you would like this. Very easy to make.

Red-cooked Chicken with Shiitakes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Gourmet
Yield: Makes 4 servings

Summary:

Falling-off-the-bone chicken is cooked in a Chinese-inspired citrus sauce—
the source of its reddish-brown color.

Ingredients:

5 cups water
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup Chinese rice wine or medium-dry Sherry
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 (1-inch) cube peeled fresh ginger, smashed
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
2 (2-inch-long) pieces Asian dried tangerine peel
4 whole star anise (1 tablespoon)
2 bunches scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups)
1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb) chicken
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 lb. fresh shiitakes, stems discarded and caps cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Bring water, soy sauce, rice wine, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, tangerine peel, star anise, and 2 cups scallions to a boil in an 8-quart pot, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add whole chicken and simmer, covered, turning once, until just cooked through, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer chicken with a large slotted spoon to a platter and brush with sesame oil. Keep warm, covered with foil.

Pour cooking liquid through a sieve into a large bowl, discarding solids. Skim fat from surface and reserve 1 cup cooking liquid. (Cool remainder, uncovered, then freeze.) Heat vegetable oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then stir-fry shiitakes and remaining 2 cups scallions with salt, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add reserved cooking liquid and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Cut chicken into serving pieces and serve with sauce.

smother29

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 9:18 pm
What do you use for the Chinese rice wine or medium-dry Sherry? Which brands are kosher?

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 6:55 am
Sake, mirin are widely available. Tio Pepe and Kedem make sherry.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:28 am
How strong is the anise flavor? I would love to make this but I am not a fan of that ingredient.

egam

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:33 am
Just don't waste your money on Kedem cooking wine. Buy a regular bottle. And keep in mind that Tio Pepe is not mevushal. You can find Eden mirin just about everywhere.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:34 am
It is star anise and not anise. Star anise is one of the spices in five spice powder and is an important element Chinese cuisine.

But if you hate an ingredient, don't use it. It's a recipe not a statute. 😀😀 but before rejecting it, try it since red cooked meats are a particular style of Chinese cooking and do have a distinctive flavor.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:34 am
Don't waste your money on any cooking wine.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:37 am
I have a bottle of five spice powder and did not love it but I am willing to try again. Thanks for posting the recipe. I think we will do this next shabbos.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:40 am
You will need to dry the tangerine peel

How to Make It
Use a fine-bladed paring knife or vegetable peeler to trim away just the colored part of the skin, leaving the bitter white pith behind. Not only does the white part have a bitter flavor, the peels will take much longer to dry if the spongey white pith is still attached.

No-cook, hands-off method: Lay the strips on a plate (with the inside of the peels facing upwards) and let them dry at room temperature for 3-4 days, until they have shriveled and are no longer moist.

Speed method: If you are short on time, you can also dry them in a 200-degree Fahrenheit oven, spread on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, for about 25-30 minutes. The peels will curl up and turn stiff when they're dry.

Store the dried peel in a dark place, in a clean, airtight jar.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:42 am
mha3484 wrote:
I have a bottle of five spice powder and did not love it but I am willing to try again. Thanks for posting the recipe. I think we will do this next shabbos.

Five Spice powder has four other flavors so it might be another flavor you're reacting to. Still it does have a very distinctive flavor. I don't think it's anise as that is more of a French Mediterranean flavor.

Do you like fennel?

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:47 am
No thats why I usually avoid anise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey