Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
CASHEW CHICKEN & VEGGIES

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 10:00 pm
Another excellent and easy recipe. Much healthier than the takeout version. I served with Hit and Sour Soup

CASHEW CHICKEN & VEGGIES

Excerpt From: Gilbert, Molly. “One Pan & Done: Hassle-Free Meals from the Oven to Your Table.

½ cup less-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons oyster sauce (I subbed hoisin sauce but there is kosher oyster sauce now- an oxymoron if I ever heard one.
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch squares
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into very thin (¼-inch) rounds
1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
4 to 6 thin-cut boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 to 1½ pounds total)
½ cup roasted salted cashews
3 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1Preheat the oven to broil, with a rack 4 inches from the heat. Line a sheet pan with foil or mist with cooking spray.

2In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vegetable oil, oyster sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic until well combined.

3Toss the bell pepper, carrots, and water chestnuts on the prepared pan with half of the sauce, spreading everything out evenly.

4Place the chicken cutlets among the vegetables and drizzle with the remaining sauce, turning to coat. Transfer the pan to the oven and broil until the chicken is just cooked through and the vegetables are well charred, 10 to 12 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through. Keep a close eye on the pan to prevent burning. In the last 30 seconds of cooking, toss the cashews onto the pan just to warm up and brown further.

5Serve the cashew chicken hot from the oven, sprinkled generously with the scallions and cilantro.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 10:24 pm
Nice!

I like to use rice wine (mirrin) rather than rice vinegar. And maybe skip the cilantro.

I do this kind of thing as a stir fry, so it's interesting to see it as an oven thing. Either way, if you coat the chicken pieces in cornstarch, it both thickens the sauce, and keeps the chicken tender.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:07 pm
This is from a cookbook which is all sheet pan recipes.

I do use corn starch to velvet protein when Stir frying but I am not sure it would when baked in the oven since it's a different type of cooking and wouldn't have the same chemical reaction in terms of being cooked in a liquid as it does in a Stir Fry. Of course one can always experiment. 🤗

Also this is cooking the chicken as cutlets instead if the small cut pieces used in a Stir Fry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey