Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Want 2 sub WW flour into regular challah recipe. Pls advise

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:22 am
Anyone done this that can advise?

Which type of WW flour? White WW, regular WW, or WW pastry flour? I think those are the options, right?

Do I make any other changes to the challah recipe if I replace Hi Gluten flour with whole wheat flour? Or just proceed as usual?

lifesagift

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:30 am
I started with just swapping 1 cup of hi gluten to ww to see how my family would like it. I now use approx 1/3 or more ww without changing recipe. Challah looks a bit different n smaller but we like it. I think if ur gonna use all or most ww u will need more oil. In general 2 good stuff to add is extra evoo n ground flaxseeds

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:50 am
I do this regularly. I use 80% flour- which in Israel means completely whole wheat, but ground extremely fine- -I guess it's ww pastry flour in America. My recipe calls for 13 cups of flour. I use 9 whole wheat and 4 white. It comes out delicious. Very moist and rises beautifully.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:16 pm
I have done that and it comes out fine ...if your family will go for whole wheat. I use high gluten flour for challah but there is gluten in all flour (just not high gluten) so it works without the high gluten. You might want to add a drop more oil and start off with a cup less off water and then slowly add more water as needed. If you are worried about going completely whole wheat, then use just one cup of regular flour. I didn't find that much of a difference with white ww or regular ww flour/

One thing that works very well with ww flour is to activate the yeast before you begin. Put yeast in a bowl with 1/2 cup of warm water and a little sugar. Wait until the water almost disappears. Then pour in ALL the rest of the ingredients but only HALF the flour. Let rise until dough doubles. (it will be liquidy) Then add the rest of flour and let rise again for a couple of hours. This process will give you fluffy whole wheat challos instead of dry, dense ones.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:19 pm
Ww flour absorbs more liquid than regular, so you might need to increase the liquids in the recipe.
If you don't have high gluten, add in some vital wheat gluten for fluffier dough.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:19 pm
add 1/4 cup ground flax seed to the regular whole wheat flour ... you won't regret it - it will be fluffy due to the protein

& while you're making it healthier - replace sugar with honey & oil with extra virgin olive oil

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:08 pm
Thank you for all of your tips! Very helpful.

OK, I'll start out with 50/50 Hi Gluten and Whole Wheat instead of replacing the Hi Gluten entirely. Thanks.

I wonder if Greenfire's idea to sub honey for sugar would work instead of adding more liquids to the recipe, since honey is moister than sugar. I'm just nervous to do that cuz I've never tried subbing honey for sugar and don't know how that would go...

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:20 pm
gold21 wrote:

OK, I'll start out with 50/50 Hi Gluten and Whole Wheat instead of replacing the Hi Gluten entirely. Thanks.

I wonder if Greenfire's idea to sub honey for sugar would work instead of adding more liquids to the recipe, since honey is moister than sugar. I'm just nervous to do that cuz I've never tried subbing honey for sugar and don't know how that would go...

I sub honey for sugar often in challah

often I put it with the yeast

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:20 pm
gold21 wrote:

I've been baking since I'm 7 or 8 ... & full whole wheat with all the healthier stuff for 10 years ish ... my challah is fluffy - flax seed replaces eggs for vegans so you don't need much else [although you can add 2 oz of water to help] ... you'll simply need less flour to knead & shape

as for the honey replacing sugar it is a matter of health - the water content is a minor difference & I replace demerara sugar for my vegan

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:22 pm
greenfire wrote:
add 1/4 cup ground flax seed to the regular whole wheat flour ... you won't regret it - it will be fluffy due to the protein

& while you're making it healthier - replace sugar with honey & oil with extra virgin olive oil

I thought its not healthy to bake with evoo

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:23 pm
Pineapple wrote:
I sub honey for sugar often in challah

often I put it with the yeast

Thank you.

You replace cup for cup, same amount of honey for the sugar?

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:23 pm
greenfire wrote:
I've been baking since I'm 7 or 8 ... & full whole wheat with all the healthier stuff for 10 years ish ... my challah is fluffy - flax seed replaces eggs for vegans so you don't need much else [although you can add 2 oz of water to help] ... you'll simply need less flour to knead & shape

as for the honey replacing sugar it is a matter of health - the water content is a minor difference & I replace demerara sugar for my vegan

Thank you Greenfire!

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:25 pm
gold21 wrote:
Thank you.

You replace cup for cup, same amount of honey for the sugar?

less honey than sugar (up to you how sweet you like it)

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:11 pm
Pineapple wrote:
less honey than sugar (up to you how sweet you like it)

Like 2/3 cup honey per cup sugar?

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:56 pm
I do even exchange ... but you can't go wrong with different amounts of sweetness ... it will just be less or more sweet

ez-pass

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 3:41 pm
I bake both ww and white every time I bake challah.
I do even exchange. I use the same recipe but in white use white flour and sugar and whole wheat I use white whole wheat flour and honey....even exchange of both. It works gine. I made up the recipes and it works like a charm each time.

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 3:45 pm
greenfire wrote:
I do even exchange ... but you can't go wrong with different amounts of sweetness ... it will just be less or more sweet

Amazing, thanks

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 3:46 pm
ez-pass wrote:
I bake both ww and white every time I bake challah.
I do even exchange. I use the same recipe but in white use white flour and sugar and whole wheat I use white whole wheat flour and honey....even exchange of both. It works gine. I made up the recipes and it works like a charm each time.

K! Thank you

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 4:35 pm
Agave nectar is an excellent sub for honey, if you're keeping a vegan happy. It's more expensive, but it's really nice to bake with, and an added bonus is that it doesn't cause blood sugar spikes. Sometimes I use it in place of maple syrup on pancakes. Yum!

freeeeeespirit

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 9:20 pm
1. I use white whole wheat
2. I use seltzer instead of water
3. I use dough enhancer (USA doesn't have anymore, I get it from Israel).
Or "Kamut Improver" similar effect.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads