Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Can my kid outgrow this speech problem?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:11 pm
he says th sound instead of sh. is that a lisp? can a kid outgrow it? at what age? does he need therapy? is it something I can work on with him without a therapist?

bsy

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:41 pm
How old is he

amother
Green

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:46 pm
4 years.

bsy

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:48 pm
He may outgrow it. It should be fully developed by 6. Try to see if he can watch u closely and copy the sound you say.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:50 pm
My kid has been getting therapy for this for 3 years. He knows what to do (understood pretty quickly) but forgets to do it.
At this point, if he's upset he forgets but when he is happy, its pretty good.
The therapist always told him to shut his teeth, etc.
My 3 yr dd has it now but won't qualify for speech (otherwise she's articulate) so when she gets a little older I will work on it with her

amother
Green

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:53 pm
moonlight, why would your child not get approved? I want to try to get therapy but it's a long process and if he won't get approved...

Moonlight

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:10 pm
Because you don't qualify for therapy if your child just has an age-appropriate lisp. My older child had the lisp but also stuttered heavily and needed OT too so he qualified. His friends couldn't understand him

mommy100

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:12 pm
A child wont get approved through the BOE for a lisp if it does not effect them in school. It is also not considered a problem before the age of six when they should master the s sound

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
he says th sound instead of sh. is that a lisp? can a kid outgrow it? at what age? does he need therapy? is it something I can work on with him without a therapist?

if that's his only speech issue then no he does not need therapy

sky

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 1:33 pm
I think 'sh' is only expected to start developing at 4. Until 5 or 6 or even 7 I'm not sure you can really call it an issue. (maybe I'm wrong because I"m not a speech therapist but my daughter's 's' and 'sh' are pretty lousy and her speech therapist thinks she is on the young age to really worry, and she is slightly older then your child. )

amother
Green

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
if that's his only speech issue then no he does not need therapy

so he's supposed to live the rest of his life like this?
I'm understand that for a 4 yr old this is age appropriate right?
his rebbe told me it's a bit hard to understand him but overall I think he's okay. has advanced vocabulary and I understand him perfectly.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:40 pm
If he's 4, that the minimum age to treat this kind of problem. I strongly recommend you do it now. I used to pronounce some sounds wrong, but I didn't receive speech therapy until I was 7, and even though the problem improved, I don't actually pronounce two letters correctly. If I had gotten it earlier, I could have. There's no reason to wait to get evaluated, if it doesn't need attention now, let a professional be the one to tell you.

bsy

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 3:41 pm
I'm a SLP and it is not considered problematic at age 4. If you really want, he can go to a clinic and get speech through insurance or pay yourself. He will not get speech through the DOE in scool for this.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 4:17 pm
I used to babysit a 4yo boy who had this problem, and also his "r" sound came out as a "w".

For the "sh" sound, I'd have him put his finger to his lips and make that sound you do when you want someone to be quiet. "Shhhhhhh!" For some reason, that was no problem for him. Then I would say "shell", and have him do the finger, going "Shhhhh-shell", gradually shortening the word. We'd think of other "sh" words like "Shhhhh-shoe", and practice those, and within a few weeks it completely cleared up.

For the "r" sound, I asked him what a lion says, and he said "Grrrrrr". I added that to the word "rabbit", like "Grrrrr-rabbit", and eventually we dropped the "g" in the front, and shortened the word. The "r" took more practice, and more prompting to remember to make the right sound, but I'm told it's a really hard one for some kids. Still, we got that fixed, too.

It was a lot of fun going around the house, finding "sh" and "r" words to practice with. We kept it silly and fun, and he never got frustrated.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 5:56 pm
If you live in nyc, you can get a free evaluation by an agency and you'll feel better. I have no clue if that's exclusive to nyc

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 6:24 pm
I think most kids outgrow this by age 6.
It's common in 4 year olds.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
4 years.

Many years ago I took one of my kids to a speech therapist for the same reason. The Therapist said that the muscle control to make the sound really doesn't develop before 6, if by 7.5 it's a problem, see a therapist. So I waited and at about 6.5 she made the sounds properly.

salt

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 6:45 am
Could be not connected, but I have a friend who got rid of her kid's pacifier because she was speaking like that, at about that age. She thought it was connected.
Problem is, I never asked her if it helped.
Anyone know if heave pacifier sucking can cause it?

amother
Green

Post Fri, Mar 03 2017, 9:27 am
thanks for all the replies. Frantic I love that idea. I'm going to implement it this shhhhhabbos, IYH. Wink

he got rid of pacifier about half a year ago and nothing has improved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers