Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Putting phone in rice

cheese cake

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 3:52 pm
My phone fell into water and I heard that putting it into rice helps get the moisture out. Anyone know details? How long should I put it for? How much rice should I use? Thanks

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 4:03 pm
You should totally immerse it in a bag of rice for 3 days.

This happened to me a few years ago - my phone probably dropped out of my lap when I got out of the car. We couldn't find my phone, until my DD noticed it frozen into an ice puddle right beside my car! We hacked it out and it was dead...so we put it in rice, and 3 days later it was working. It worked for quite a while after that, and I used it until I replaced it with my current phone.

Some time ago I had it serviced for something, and the guy at Verizon asked me if I know it has had water damage...he couldn't believe it spent a few days frozen under the ice.

Sharing to let you know there will be signs of water damage...but that phone still works, anyway.

My BIL used to be a camp cook, and he kept a bucket of rice in the kitchen, dedicated to staff members' phones that had fallen into the pool.

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 4:05 pm
I also read 3 days. Take out the sim card and battery.

https://www.androidpit.com/how.....water

animeme

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 4:07 pm
Did this recently with my s6. Three days. If you can't get the battery out, it's ok, but make absolutely sure it is off. I thought mine was, but it had just out itself to sleep.

When I turned it back on, it had a few quirks, so I out it back in for another day. After that, it was a little slow for a couple of days.

doctorima

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 4:14 pm
Zip-loc bag, take everything out, keep it sealed 3 days minimum. You'll be tempted to try it sooner, but don't. If you do it too early, you could permanently fry it.

Simple1

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 4:48 pm
I read that vacuuming thoroughly with a hose can suck out the water - and it works quickly. I tried this and my phone did work after! I have no idea if it's a coincident and it would have started working anyway.

In my case my phone wasn't fully drenched. I found water under the battery compartment that might have been there for a while and the touch screen wasn't working. I have no idea if vacuuming is safe if there is a lot of wetness.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 5:15 pm
Yup 3 days fully covered in a big container/jar.

cheese cake

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 5:22 pm
Thanks everyone I'll try it and hope for the best. Really annoying because I just switched plans and this is a new phone Sad

emzod42

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 6:47 pm
You can also try silica gel balls, the stuff that comes inside those packets to keep new shoes and clothing dry. You can get a bag of it at any craft store in the flower arranging section. It's supposed to be better than rice because rice can be dusty. It worked for me.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 7:54 pm
We saved a laptop by this method. Definitely worth trying.

cheese cake

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 6:21 pm
Here to update that I put my phone into a bag of rice for 3 days and bh it's working now. Thanks for all your advice
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics