Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Fish Salmon or white the Heimish kutchenyu Hungarian
1  2  Next

shpitsel

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 3:40 am
Tried to do a search but didn't find much

Can you please ppl share yours or your mothers exact recepie for the real "heimish" Hungarian style shabbos fish cooked with gefilte in it or without with the the kutchenyu aka fish sauce

I know more or less its onions ,carrots,black pepper ,paprika ,sugar and some salt

But trying to get a real recepie to be followed exactly per how many slices e.t.c. to get those real heimish taste

Sometimes eating by others ot bought fish or caterers it gets me those deep nurishing taste

Thanks

Ahuva

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 7:05 am
I cook my fish like my Hungarian Bubby, very sweet with kuchenyu and all.
I cook salmon. I can give you recipe.
How many slices do you want to cook?
And do you not want the sauce?

shpitsel

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 7:20 am
Sure thanks

Sure I want the sauce

Lets say 6- 8 slices salmon with a loaf gefilta fish

Ahuva

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 7:53 am
For the sauce to become jelly like you will need some skin in adition to your fish slices. I like to use at least some salmon steaks because they are fattier than fillets. Also baby salmon is better than regular.

Cook the fish in a big pan in a single layer. (Before I owned a fish pot I used a roaster size pan)
3 carrots
3 to 4 onions cut in circles to cover the bottom of pan.
Pour ontop of the onion slices
2 3/4 to 3 cups sugar
3 1/2 Tablespoons of salt
Liberal ammounts Paprika and blk pepper.
Place fish in a single layer ontop of onions and spices. Add carrots and skins.
Cover with water till almost the top of the pan . Bring to a rolling boil and cook covered (not tightly) on medium heat for about 2 hours (I do 2.5).
Sauce may take about 12 to 24 hours to really stiffen.

Carmen Luna

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 8:40 am
Salmon doesn't produce a good kochenyu. Way too fishy IMO. white fish or carp is what makes the best kochenyu. Also add pike skin (u can buy it separately)
And if u leave it refrigerated from Thursday night it's going to get thicker. It needs time to settle

shpitsel

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 8:51 am
Thanks so much

What do you call regular salmon and what do you mean with steak and baby , are you talking about 3 different salmon fish ?

Can you get salmon steak fillet in the stores without bones ?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 8:58 am
Ahuva, salmon is not supposed to cook for more then 45 minutes. Though gefilta needs 1.5 hours.
I make same as Ahuva but add some lemon juice & bay leaves to give it a nice punch on floavor.

shpitsel

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:04 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Ahuva, salmon is not supposed to cook for more then 45 minutes. Though gefilta needs 1.5 hours.
I make same as Ahuva but add some lemon juice & bay leaves to give it a nice punch on floavor.

Actually there is two ways of cooking fish, same like minute steak or similar steak ,its either fast cooking and its soft and after that it gets rubbery and after few hours ot gets soft like butter , there is people cooking fish like you and alot of people cook it the long way

And adding lemon juice and bay leaves its more a sweet and sour fish that's totally different

Ahuva

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:19 am
shpitsel wrote:
Actually there is two ways of cooking fish, same like minute steak or similar steak ,its either fast cooking and its soft and after that it gets rubbery and after few hours ot gets soft like butter , there is people cooking fish like you and alot of people cook it the long way

And adding lemon juice and bay leaves its more a sweet and sour fish that's totally different

This.

Ive been using this method for years and have been asked for my recipe by countless guests ( including men at my husbands sium...) Most pll have the same reaction to the the cooking time.

Bay leaves and lemon is not the traditional Hungarian fish OP was looking for.

Ahuva

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:21 am
shpitsel wrote:
Thanks so much

What do you call regular salmon and what do you mean with steak and baby , are you talking about 3 different salmon fish ?

Can you get salmon steak fillet in the stores without bones ?

Steaks mean whole unfileted slices with bones. ( just like bone in steak or chicken is fattier and usually tastier... )
Baby salmon is just a type of salmon you can get them fillet or not.

Ahuva

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:23 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
Salmon doesn't produce a good kochenyu. Way too fishy IMO. white fish or carp is what makes the best kochenyu. Also add pike skin (u can buy it separately)
And if u leave it refrigerated from Thursday night it's going to get thicker. It needs time to settle

I did note that skin will be required. Sorry I forgot to specify pike. I use 3 skins (my fish store prepackages it in wrap n boil bags) my kochenyu is rock solid by friday.

shpitsel

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:30 am
Ahuva wrote:
Steaks mean whole unfileted slices with bones. ( just like bone in steak or chicken is fattier and usually tastier... )
Baby salmon is just a type of salmon you can get them fillet or not.

So baby salmon with bones is better then fillet baby salmon?

shpitsel

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:31 am
What about using whole peppercorns? Is it better or not necessary?

Ahuva

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:35 am
Yes baby salmon with bones is best.
If you want a nice clear sauce go for peppercorns since they can b removed by runing sauce through a sieve.

When you do that remember to squeeze the onions to get the sauce out of it.
I also squeeze the skin packets, before discarding.

shpitsel

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:39 am
But I see in stores fish called Atlantic baby salmon and then there is salmon steak and also Scottish salmon

Ahuva

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:43 am
There should be one labeled baby salmon. I like that best. Steak n is a description of the cut.

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:47 am
Hi experienced kuchenu here. No you don't need fish in bones. Lol. I used to make this weekly till salmon became so expensive I just use jar fish. . Make sure you have a lot of pike skin that is what makes it hard.

Also if you cook it Thursday by Friday morning it will be hard. The real secret is pike skin. The more the better. You will need the large skins. Sometimes the stores don't have that much or they are small so ask for multiple and tell them it's for kuchenu. If your in Brooklyn the fish owners know this real well.

Here in Lakewood it's not an item. Oh how I wish it would be more available. And salmon would be less expensive. Oh well.

I cook the gefilte for not more then 45 minutes. Then I take it out and put in salmon. About 4 slices not more then 6 minutes. It turns hard afterwards. If you get the timing right then it's soft like butter.

Also when before I put in salmon the water should just begin bubbling even a tiny drop. I right away put in salmon and don't let it cook a minut longer then 6 minutes.

shpitsel

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:50 am
sourstix wrote:
Hi experienced kuchenu here. No you don't need fish in bones. Lol. I used to make this weekly till salmon became so expensive I just use jar fish. . Make sure you have a lot of pike 8skin that is what makes it hard.

Also if you cook it Thursday by Friday morning it will be hard. The real secret is pike skin. The more the better. You will need the large skins. Sometimes the stores don't have that much or they are small so ask for multiple and tell them it's for kuchenu. If your in Brooklyn the fish owners know this real well.

Here in Lakewood it's not an item. Oh how I wish it would be more available. And salmon would be less expensive. Oh well.

I cook the gefilte for not more then 45 minutes. Then I take it out and put in salmon. About 4 slices not more then 6 minutes. It turns hard afterwards. If you get the timing right then it's soft like butter.

Also when before I put in salmon the water should just begin bubbling even a tiny drop. I right away put in salmon and don't let it cook a minut longer then 6 minutes.

Thanks very much

Just to make clear

I cook bh fish every week with skin and I have kutchenu

My question was for the recepie tombe rupugush taste not how to make the kutchenu

Lol

But thanks

Ahuva

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:56 am
The bones in fish is not for the kuchenyu its simply fattier, softer, tastier fish. I cook both slices with bones and fillets weekly.

If you only use fillets you can probably reduce the cook time.

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 12:37 pm
Op, read your original post, it says your looking for recipe. Rupugush means crispy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus