Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Request from cleaning lady--should I?
1  2  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:25 am
My cleaning lady wants a paper with my signature and phone number about number of hours she works. She says she needs it for a procedure shes having in the hospital.

I'm wary of doing this. Should I? I like her a lot and we have a good relationship but....

Smiling Wife

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:31 am
Have you been paying her social security as her full.time.employer and vacation days etc and all the legal things? If not you are certainly in hot water. Of COURSE DONT SIGN.

Butterfly

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:38 am
Her request sounds highly suspicious IMHO.

Unless she brings you a certified letter from the Doctor with that request I wouldn't give her anything signed with your signature.

She may use it for something you might not be aware of which can get you in trouble in the long run.

This is a popular scam that's been going around for quite sometime..
I have a friend who was scammed that way... by a very *nice* person.

Don't do it!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:40 am
Thank you! I won't!!!!!!

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:42 am
What could she do with this? If she's illegally working?

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:48 am
I had the same request from my old cleaning lady, for her kids school
I told her to ask my husband. Suddenly she didn't need it anymore.
What kind of scam is this? What can they do w such a paper?

esuss

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:51 am
Why would she need proof of employment to have a medical procedure?

Butterfly

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:55 am
esuss wrote:
Why would she need proof of employment to have a medical procedure?

My suspition exactly!

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:59 am
I'm so curious what they would like to gain out of this. Because if she's working illegally and she illegal here she will be sent away. She gains nothing. Who knows what her intentions are. Oy gevald

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 3:33 pm
I suspect that what she's getting at is your signature for forgery. The hours worked etc. is the smokescreen because you would definitely be suspicious if she came out and asked for your autograph alone. of course she doesn't need proof of employment for a medical procedure. She just couldn't come up with anything more plausible.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
My cleaning lady wants a paper with my signature and phone number about number of hours she works. She says she needs it for a procedure shes having in the hospital.

I'm wary of doing this. Should I? I like her a lot and we have a good relationship but....

I wouldn't. She can and will use your Sig for other purposes. Her reasoning feels suspect to me. At the very least I'd ask for her signature for each of the days she works for me. If she presents you with a hospital letter , certified, I'd contact the hospital to verify. I'd verify it's actually the hospital's number, not her friend's.

Tell her the hospital can mail their request to you, and you'll think about it.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 3:48 pm
As someone who works in the medical field I do know that they are asked these questions when applying for financial assistance. I can't say for sure that she needs it but there are definitely valid reasons for needing it. If you want, contact the place she says she needs it for and give it to them directly but don't be obnoxious and cost her medical care she needs. And talk to your accountant about putting her on the books. If it's legit I'm sure she'll be happy to start paying taxes.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
As someone who works in the medical field I do know that they are asked these questions when applying for financial assistance. I can't say for sure that she needs it but there are definitely valid reasons for needing it. If you want, contact the place she says she needs it for and give it to them directly but don't be obnoxious and cost her medical care she needs. And talk to your accountant about putting her on the books. If it's legit I'm sure she'll be happy to start paying taxes.

shes an illegal immigrant

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
shes an illegal immigrant

And if she is applying for DACA she needs to submit the particulars about her employment.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 5:03 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
And if she is applying for DACA she needs to submit the particulars about her employment.

Shes only here a few months. I told her to bring the paper and phone number from the hospital.

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 5:16 pm
ok so lets see what she comes up with. im really curious what will happen. op if you can update us it will be a toeles harabim. either way if she produces a hospital and a number then we can be sure there are some people that are legit. and we shall know what we can do in such situations. but if she doesnt we all know its a scam for something. either way I would love to know.

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 5:17 pm
she could do alot of things with your signature. like credit card fraud. that I just realized. just be careful.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 5:20 pm
When I applied for financial assistance for vision therapy I needed something like that, and would not have been given financial aid without it. That doesn't mean you should sign it (or that you shouldn't) but I think people are really going off the deep end here. Forgery? Really?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 5:24 pm
Medical person here- it's possible she's applying for charity care from a hospital which you do not need to be a citizen to receive. They ask if they are making any income. In any event, even if it's for this I wouldn't sign anything.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 5:44 pm
Two years ago a housekeeper asked me for the same. It was for her child's daycare center. I told her I would be happy to comply if she would like to start working "on the books" and make her employment 100% legal. She passed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics