Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Cardamon Orange Kubaneh

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 2:37 pm
Never had authentic Kubaneh so I don't know how this compares but this was a tasty brunch treat. I didn't have a pan that would fit into a slow cooker but if you do, that would be a great way to wake up to warm bread in the morning.

The author is Chinese Jewish woman who moved to a farm in Wyoming :-) so her recipes are an interesting fusion of Asian, Israeli, Midwestern and Ashkenazi.

CARDAMOM ORANGE KUBANEH

Excerpt From: Molly, Yeh - Molly on the Range: Recipes and Stories from An Unlikely Life on a Farm.

Makes 1 loaf

If a croissant bought a gym membership and started bulking up its muscles so that it was no longer a delicate flaky pastry but a hunky filled-out Chris Hemsworth–type, that would be kubaneh . Kubaneh is a buttery, layered Yemeni bread that is traditionally slow-baked overnight on Shabbat and enjoyed for Saturday morning brunch with grated fresh tomato and hard-boiled eggs. I don’t think I met a single person in Israel who didn’t have a Yemenite neighbor growing up whose grandma made it every week. Just mentioning kubaneh would send their lips smacking and their eyes to the back of their head.

Typically kubaneh is made of your basics: flour, water, salt, sugar, yeast, and butter (or margarine, for a parve alternative). But the sucker requires time and ideally a special kubaneh pot (see Note ), and while baking it slow and low is the traditional route, slow cooker directions are also included here and will yield almost identical results.

The following gives a nod to my Scandinavian neighbors with a bit of cardamom and also to my mom who often poured orange juice in her white bread dough. It’s a very untraditional kubaneh that will make your house smell like IKEA while producing a slightly sweeter loaf reminiscent of cinnamon swirl bread. It’s excellent on its own, with jam, or a slathering of cream cheese or labneh.

1¼ cups warm water
¼ cup orange juice
2¼ teaspoons (1 envelope) active dry yeast
3¼ cups flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature

In a medium bowl, combine the water, orange juice, and yeast and give it a little stir. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, until it becomes foamy on top.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl (or in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook), mix together the flour, salt, orange zest, ¼ cup of the sugar, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon of the cardamom.

When the yeast is foamy, add it to the dry mixture and stir to combine. Knead by hand on a floured surface (or with a dough hook) until you have a smooth and slightly sticky dough, 7 to 10 minutes, adding more flour as necessary but try not to add too much).

Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and let it sit at room temperature until it has doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.

To make the filling, stir together the butter and the remaining ¼ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon cardamom.

To shape the loaf, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide it into 5 equal parts. Working with 1 part at a time (leaving the remaining parts covered), pat it out or roll with a rolling pin into an 8 x 5-inch rectangle. Spread it with a layer of filling, roll it up lengthwise like a jelly-roll, then coil it up like a snail and spread the outside with a thin layer of the butter mixture (this can get a little messy! But it doesn’t need to be perfect). Place it in a kubaneh pot (see Note for alternatives) and repeat with the remaining dough and filling, placing the rolls snugly together. Any leftover butter should get distributed on top of the dough. Proceed below to the oven method or slow cooker method.

Oven method: Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid or wrap it tightly with foil (or both if the lid is loose) and let the dough rise for an additional 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 225ºF and bake for 6 hours. Let cool slightly and enjoy.

Slow cooker method: Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid or wrap it tightly with foil (or both if the lid is loose) and place it in a large slow cooker. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours or overnight. Let cool slightly and enjoy.

This bread is best enjoyed immediately but can be reheated in the oven the next day with the lid on. Bake at 225ºF for 30 to 45 minutes.

Note: A kubaneh pot is a high-sided lidded aluminum pot about 7 inches wide. Without one, you can get by using an ovenproof 2½- to 2¾-quart vessel (such as a Dutch oven), either with a lid or wrapped tightly with a few layers of foil.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 2:43 pm
Oh my gosh, that sounds amazing. All my favorite flavors in one challah! Very Happy

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 2:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh my gosh, that sounds amazing. All my favorite flavors in one challah! Very Happy

I have a recipe for honey whole wheat Challah if you are interested. It's very nice if you are looking for a sweeter almost breakfast type of bread.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads