Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Rachel Platten StandByYou - why provocative music video??

Aylat

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 4:07 pm
Why?

I like a lot of her music - her song lyrics really speak to me. But contrast the music videos of Fight Song and Better Place with Stand By You.

Fight Song - clips of RP in despair, emotional pain replaced with clips of RP and others in attitudes of strength and bravery
Better Place - clips of couples/families interacting lovingly as they listen to the song Better Place
Stand By You - RP in different provocative dresses and poses.

I seriously don't get it and the video really takes away from the song.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 5:12 pm
I think it was a beautiful music video. It's one of my favorite Rachel Platten videos, actually.

It's a matter of taste. I personally loved it. You didn't. That's art.

Aylat

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 5:42 pm
I phrased my post badly. There is a lot in the video that is beautiful and (what makes the biggest difference for me) reflects and reinforces the lyrics.

But why are her outfits so revealing and provocative? The lyrics are so powerful and affirming, about staying with someone through all their difficulties, holding them, giving them wings etc. Why choose a cut-away revealing costume to dance in? Why wear something that flaunts every curve of the body when singing about loving someone through imperfection?

I'm fine with people liking art/music that I don't and vice versa, so it's not about that. I guess I'm interested to see if other people also felt a dissonance watching that video.

das

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:09 pm
Because relations sells. I agree, it's pathetic.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 9:27 pm
I'm just not seeing what you are referring to. By Hollywood young female rock star standards, I don't think her outfits were anything out of the norm at all. If your comparing it to some of her other videos then maybe I agree, but by industry standards....perfectly normal.

Aylat

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 3:29 am
Yeah, comparing it to her other videos. Also looking at the types of songs she sings - her messages are so positive and deep. Like I said, it was such a dissonance between the visual and audio. Maybe I just expected better from her. I wonder if she was pressured into those costume decisions by industry standards.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 10:04 am
As someone who is very modern, I find the s>x stuff in movies, tv, and music very unnecessary. Seriously. Unless people are watching a romantic type film, what's the point? Kind of makes it stupid.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 10:46 am
I think she feels the need to compensate with provocative wear due to her age. She started her singing career quite late in the game.

glamourmom

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 10:54 am
in that world, I hardly see this as provocative. she's beautiful, has a good body and she probably felt it was time to make a video showing it off like all artists do at some point.
it's a great song and a beautiful music video and compared to the other music vids out there I think this was great.

sourstix

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 11:14 am
Doesn't anyone like Celine? She's so classy

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 11:16 am
glamourmom wrote:
in that world, I hardly see this as provocative. she's beautiful, has a good body and she probably felt it was time to make a video showing it off like all artists do at some point.
it's a great song and a beautiful music video and compared to the other music vids out there I think this was great.

Yes, I was actually surprised that people would call this provocative. She's barely showing any skin compared to other pop stars.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 5:49 am
amother wrote:
I think she feels the need to compensate with provocative wear due to her age. She started her singing career quite late in the game.

Thanks for the hug. Really needed it today
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics