Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How much do you know about husbands business dealings?
Previous  1  2  3

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 12:09 pm
watergirl wrote:
In court, she will be. She should have known what he was doing all along. Maybe he could testify that she had no idea. But if she signed ANYTHING, shes also in hot water. And I've heard many stories were wives said were claimed that they were just signing with her husband put it in front of them because they trusted him and didn't look at the papers. The judge doesn't care.

There is something called Innocent Spouse Relief. An innocent spouse can try to prove that she was forced to signed under duress or that her signature was forged. Relief will depend on the evidence in the case.

veiznisht

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 2:56 pm
I think a lot of people have an inherited mistrust of government institutions and might not understand just HOW illegal many of the white collar crimes they are committing are.

For instance, lying about your income to get on federal programs like WIC is a felony. This includes if those families supporting the learner, wife, kids etc and learner is collecting state funding not reporting the money given to them. That means jail-time.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 3:05 pm
I think a lot of white collar crimes are caused by lack of knowledge. 2 minor ones that come to mind now:

- multiple robe companies banding together to keep prices high and not have sales until an agreed date.
- A online clothing company having different rules for different zips.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 3:10 pm
I knew six frum women in Los Angeles who were blindsided by their husbands criminal arrests. One was a successful atny who got arrested for dealing in stolen goods, another self employed business owner who got arrested for bookmaking, three were child molesters, the last was a sucessful business owner who got arrested for attempting to bribe city, county and state employees.

The lives of the molesters families were turned upside down and they eventually moved. In each of the cases of the business men, their children were young, and their sentences relatively short, so the mother's lied about the fathers being away on extended business trips overseas (??? really).

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
The nature of the crime is irrelevant. No modern legal system allows an innocent man to go to jail in place of a guilty one.

The father and son ran a business. The name on the documents was the business name. The son said he did it. Happened years ago. I knew the family.

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 4:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
There is something called Innocent Spouse Relief. An innocent spouse can try to prove that she was forced to signed under duress or that her signature was forged. Relief will depend on the evidence in the case.

You are confusing concepts.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 4:26 pm
How are people so shocked that the wives are completely ignorant of their husbands illegal dealings? Some wives genuinely do not even know what their husbands do for a living. (Oh some computer work. Something with customer service. A manager some place.)

This coming from someone whose parent didn't do anything illegal, but had a separate bank account that was kept a secret from their spouse, until divorce came up and all assets were seen.

I truly believe that many of these women are completely out of the loop, which in my opinion is smart of their husbands. Better to have one parent in prison than both put away while their kids go through the legal system...

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 5:00 pm
I know my dh would never do anything illegal. However, he has several accounts which are in his name only. I don't know much about them. So I wouldn't jump on a woman whose dh did something illegal.

Papaya, I don't think that your lawyer would be able to uncover everything about your dh unless you know where his bank accounts are.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 5:10 pm
amother wrote:
I know my dh would never do anything illegal. However, he has several accounts which are in his name only. I don't know much about them. So I wouldn't jump on a woman whose dh did something illegal.

Papaya, I don't think that your lawyer would be able to uncover everything about your dh unless you know where his bank accounts are.

Does it bother you that he has his accounts and you know absolutely nothing about them? Do you file for taxes jointly? You really should not be in the dark about these accounts!

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 7:29 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
In each of the cases of the business men, their children were young, and their sentences relatively short, so the mother's lied about the fathers being away on extended business trips overseas (??? really).

Really. When my abusive father was in jail for financial shenanigans, that's exactly what we told grandma. She believed us.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics