Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Need help with note for teacher

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 9:47 am
Hi everyone
Let me start by explaining why I can't so it myself. I live in an English speaking country but English is not my first language and I find it hard to write nice letters
I want to attach a nice letter to my daughters teachers mishloach mones. They're both amazing wonderful teachers.
I bought a box of chocolates which has a big chocolate in the shape of a queen from the chess game.
Could anyone help me come up with a few lines to express gratitude and connect it to chess. Maybe something like the teacher is the queen of the class and all the students are the other pieces and she's helping them all reach the goal.
I would really appreciate it
Wishing u all a wonderful purim

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 10:20 am
I am not good with writing these things either so I can't help you. I just wanted to say that your post was written just fine and it doesn't even hint that English is not your first language! Don't worry, I'm sure someone will help you out soon with the note... maybe bump this later for the people who come on at night.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
I am not good with writing these things either so I can't help you. I just wanted to say that your post was written just fine and it doesn't even hint that English is not your first language! Don't worry, I'm sure someone will help you out soon with the note... maybe bump this later for the people who come on at night.

Thanks so much for the compliment. I dont feel confident posting here because I find my English is not as professional as some of the posters. I love reading but not all the times I understand everything.

enter

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 1:25 pm
At one point in my life, I was teacher. So, I'll tell you what I appreciated in a thank-you letter:

1. Write a letter from your heart.

2. Write something personal to each of the teachers.
You do not need to connect it to the chess game. In my opinion, it's best not to connect, because when you are connecting to the chess, the focus of the letter is on the connection, oftentimes losing the focus of why you are grateful to this particular teacher.
Write two separate letters for each of the teachers.
Think about you like about this particular teacher:
-What are the specific things about her that you like.
-What makes her a "wonderful and amazing" teacher?
-What does she do for your child in particular that you appreciate?
-Did they do a special project recently that you particularly liked? If so, what did you like about it?
-What does your child bring home / repeat / say about his time at school or experience with his teachers?
There are many good teachers and there are many grateful parents, but a thoughtful note is when you make it about her and about you. Personal. Connection.
3. Ask your child to do the same - either in words, or to draw a picture what he likes about the teacher.

Once your note is personal, it doesn't matter if your language isn't amazing. From your post, it's certainly good enough to get across the message of thanks.

To help you, I'll give you some examples:

"Thank you for your patience and warmth with Yanky. We know he's not easy at times and we appreciate how you send your assistant to run outside with him when he needs it."

"Avi loves the stories you tell! He remembers them so well and teaches it to his younger siblings.

"We love how enthusiastic you are over the children bringing Mitzvah notes. Chaim always comes running up to me begging me to write him a mitzvah note. It helps me to bribe him to do xyz!"

"Every shabbat meal Yossi repeats over the weekly torah portions that you teach them. He even copies the fake accent that you put on and he loves when you pretend to be one of the people from the torah!"

"Moishy wakes up so happy every morning to go to school. This makes us so happy to see that he's so happy, especially after last year, when he didn't like going to school."

OP, this is my suggestion to you - I can write a letter for you, I'm a writer and I know what I as a teacher would like to hear - and that is: not something from "just anyone", but the truth about what they like about me. When parents pointed out true character traits, I could smile along because I knew they were correct. Good luck and purim samach!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 1:47 pm
I wrote three points of value. Then I asked my child what she likes about her teacher and what she likes about her class.
I start the note with a three pointed thank you, then a compliment, then quotes from my kid and closing with a one-line bracha.
It's a substantial note, but not requiring too much creativity and energy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children