Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn only sleeps in my arms

aimhabanim

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 4:39 pm
Any suggestions how to get my newborn miracle to stay asleep? As soon as I put her down either on her back or stomach she wakes up then goes right back to sleep as soon as I pick her up.

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 4:43 pm
get a bouncer/swing/rock n play/mamaroo if you can afford it? something with motion

aimhabanim

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 4:46 pm
Motion doesn't seem to work for her. It's my arms or nothing

challahchallah

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 4:47 pm
Congrats on your new baby!! Can you try putting her asleep directly in her crib, but with you still holding her arms and head? Basically her body weight is on the mattress, but she's still getting the comfort of having your touch? You can also rock her back and forth gently from that position. That way the transition can be less jarring as you just put gradually less and less pressure in your touch and there's no moment of transfer. Also, you could put a shirt you've worn under her so she can still smell you.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 4:55 pm
Welcome to the world of parenting. This is your first encounter with trying to change your child from the way he is.

My advice- ENJOY the moment. Gam ze yaavor.

nyc123

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 6:43 pm
Get a baby carrier so the baby can still sleep on you while you do other things. Remember you can't spoil a newborn. Newborns cry to get their needs met, and comfort and security is a legitimate need! https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Kt.....YFULU

gamanit

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 7:22 pm
nyc123 wrote:
Get a baby carrier so the baby can still sleep on you while you do other things. Remember you can't spoil a newborn. Newborns cry to get their needs met, and comfort and security is a legitimate need! https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Kt.....YFULU

I'd actually recommend this type or similar. Much less sweaty. https://www.amazon.com/Infanti.....I+tai

rachel6543

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 7:46 pm
I like that book "happiest baby on the block", lots of good tips for dealing with a newborn.

One of the recommendations in the book is swaddling baby. Have you tried that? I found that helped my son as a baby a lot and he slept better and longer when swaddled.

solo

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 8:29 pm
Baby #3 was like that. I got a nurse. I hope that's an option for u cuz it's the only thing that worked for me. By 2 months things were slightly better. 2.5 months I let her go. At 3 months he was better bh.
With my other kids I swaddled. Used a sound machine. Kept the mattress on an incline. Used a baby swing. Some or all these things helped baby settle down

sky

Post Wed, Mar 08 2017, 10:01 pm
swaddling

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 6:52 am
[quote]you could put a shirt you've worn under her

Please do not do this! You should not put anything loose in the crib with a newborn-no pillows, blankets, toys,etc.

I agree with swaddling-made a huge difference for my kids.

mamamia1

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 6:57 am
I second swaddling.
Also read Janet Lansbury's work.
I wish I would have known her ideas when my kids were infants

ETA: I did wear a carrier but still her ideas are amazing and so helpful

Last edited by mamamia1 on Thu, Mar 09 2017, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:16 am
Get the kind of newborn swaddle blanket with velcro that's made to stay on snugly.

lfab

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:58 am
I had one like this. She just wanted to be held all day. I got a baby bjorn https://www.amazon.com/BABYBJO.....bjorn and it worked miracles. It was the only way I got anything done. Granted everything takes longer and is harder to do when wearing a baby, but at least it got done. The only thing I wouldn't do while wearing her is cook and shower.
This helps baby sleep during the day so you can get stuff done. If the nights are a problem that's a separate issue. This same daughter mentioned above also wouldn't sleep in any sort of crib, swing, etc. at night either. I know some people would say not to do it but I would just have her sleep in my bed right next to me (hey desperate times and all that, a woman has got to sleep at some point). If you're worried about the safety of having baby in bed get one of those co-sleepers that go in your bed https://www.amazon.com/First-Y.....eper. The raised edges make sure you can't roll on her but she will still be right next to you and you can even place your arm on her so she feels like she is still being held. And when it gets tough and feels like she'll never sleep remember that she will grow out of it. Hatzlacha.

queenert

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 9:27 am
I don't find the k'tan sweaty at all. Granted it's another layer, but it's a great carrier.
But read the carrier threads - there are so many kinds and different things work for different people.

That's how I managed...co-sleeping and carrier. And now I'm an attachment parent! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics